PDA

View Full Version : S/O names... anyone want to share ideas or lists?

TxCat
07-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Since there are several of us due in the next several months, I was curious if anyone wanted to share ideas for names. We have a short list, but like megs, I'm having trouble committing. Maybe seeing more ideas and suggestions will get my decision-making skills sharpened!

Here goes, our short list (baby is DD#2, and our last name is one syllable)

Katherine Alexandra (nn Kit)
Allison Clare (nn Allie)
Alexandra Robin
Robin Alexandra (DH is pushing HARD for Robin - definitely his favorite)
Summer
Juliet
Arianne
Genevieve
Annabel

LMW
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
I will share our lists. For girls we have...

Maeve
Elise
Camilla

Boys...
Theo
Milo
Silas
Malcom

We are really leaning towards Silas but are not coming up with a middle name that we like. Our last name ends with the ee sound and it can not start with a vowel because the initials would make words. Any thoughts?

rin
07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not currently expecting, but I can share the names on our shortlists from both DDs:

Esme
Camille
Anya
Lily
Elizabeth
Matilda
Annika
Beatrix
Eleanor
Imogen
Margaret
Marie
Evangeline
Judith

rin
07-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Maeve
Elise
Camilla

Boys...
Theo
Milo
Silas
Malcom

We are really leaning towards Silas but are not coming up with a middle name that we like. Our last name ends with the ee sound and it can not start with a vowel because the initials would make words. Any thoughts?

Jude? James?

abh5e8
07-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Maeve
Elise
Camilla

Boys...
Theo
Milo
Silas
Malcom

we have a Silas :) and his middle is William (family name, dh's grandfather). we only know 1 other Silas. any family names you like?

amom526
07-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Jude? James?

I was also thinking a J middle name for Silas

sarahsthreads
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Well, we have a Carolyn Sylvia and an Anna Catherine.

Other girl names that had been on our short list that we'll never get to use (unless, of course, the u/s was entirely wrong):
Isabel
Eleanor
Madeline

We're expecting a boy, though, and I'm finding this boy name thing harder, because it seems like there are a lot of expectations that he be named after somebody. The girls have their very own first names that don't belong to anyone else in our families - their middle names are family names, however - and I'd kind of like our boy to have the same.

I'm leaning towards Matthew Phillip, DH is not in love. (He seems to think I want Matthew for the current actor who plays Doctor Who, but, um, well, no. That never crossed my mind.) He's not willing to throw any other ideas in the ring, though, which is driving me nuts.

Our last name is Irish, starts with R, and is two syllables.

Any suggestions?

Sarah :)

lmh2402
07-03-2013, 08:45 PM
DD is Celeste (we often call her Cece). the runner up was Calista (nn Callie). the other top contenders were Aurelia, Isla, Orla and Tatum

georgiegirl
07-03-2013, 10:12 PM
We don't even have a short list (or a long list.). Here's my short list, and I'm sure DH won't like any of them. We want a one syllable name that isn't overly popular. It took us forever to decide on DS's name (I was 39 weeks). It's an uncommon one syllable name (same as a British actor and famous American record producer), and we feel like there's just nothing we like quite as much.

Jack (I know it's popular but I like it anyway.)
Clark
Max
Quinn
Graham

bisous
07-04-2013, 02:00 AM
I'm not currently expecting, but I can share the names on our shortlists from both DDs:

Esme
Camille
Anya
Lily
Elizabeth
Matilda
Annika
Beatrix
Eleanor
Imogen
Margaret
Marie
Evangeline
Judith

Wow! I like your names a lot. Elizabeth and Marie are on our short list. I think Lucy is the front-runner right now for us but I like the rest of rin's names as well!

bisous
07-04-2013, 02:01 AM
We don't even have a short list (or a long list.). Here's my short list, and I'm sure DH won't like any of them. We want a one syllable name that isn't overly popular. It took us forever to decide on DS's name (I was 39 weeks). It's an uncommon one syllable name (same as a British actor and famous American record producer), and we feel like there's just nothing we like quite as much.

Clark
Max
Quinn
Graham

You've probably thought of this already but if you have a "British" sounding name what about James? It is considered a common name but that is my DS1's name and we don't know many James' IRL. We don't use a nickname for him, BTW.

hellbennt
07-04-2013, 12:01 PM

I love Silas! Silas Matthew? Silas Matias? Silas Leo?

hellbennt
07-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Well, we have a Carolyn Sylvia and an Anna Catherine.

We're expecting a boy, though, and I'm finding this boy name thing harder, because it seems like there are a lot of expectations that he be named after somebody. The girls have their very own first names that don't belong to anyone else in our families - their middle names are family names, however - and I'd kind of like our boy to have the same.

I'm leaning towards Matthew Phillip, DH is not in love. (He seems to think I want Matthew for the current actor who plays Doctor Who, but, um, well, no. That never crossed my mind.) He's not willing to throw any other ideas in the ring, though, which is driving me nuts.

Our last name is Irish, starts with R, and is two syllables.

Any suggestions?

Sarah :)

I love the name Matias - maybe that instead of Matthew? Is there an 'Irish' Matthew?

hellbennt
07-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Since there are several of us due in the next several months, I was curious if anyone wanted to share ideas for names. We have a short list, but like megs, I'm having trouble committing. Maybe seeing more ideas and suggestions will get my decision-making skills sharpened!

Here goes, our short list (baby is DD#2, and our last name is one syllable)

Katherine Alexandra (nn Kit)
Allison Clare (nn Allie)
Alexandra Robin
Robin Alexandra (DH is pushing HARD for Robin - definitely his favorite)
Summer
Juliet
Arianne
Genevieve
Annabel

Adeline? Adelle? These are close to Annabel but a little 'different'
How about Augusta? (w/ the hope the baby makes it to August - this would work if you're due mid-August)

AnnieW625
07-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Our short list for DD1 was:
Elisa
Jenna

For Dd2 both DH and I really just agreed on Lauren. We also liked Sydney, but that is our dog so we knew we couldn't do it. We briefly thought about Christina after she was born, but DH didn't want people thinking he named his daughter after him.

Other names we considered, but couldn't agree on or ruled out for various reasons:
Audrey
Abigail
Addison
Christina
Jenna
Jocelyn
Madison

Had baby 2 been born and been a girls she would have been Genevieve.

LMW
07-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Jude? James?

I like the J names as well. Honestly we have tossed around these two names but, James is a family name that we don't want to use and Jude is a friends DS name.

LMW
07-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I love Silas! Silas Matthew? Silas Matias? Silas Leo?

I like Silas Leo a lot but DH doesn't...

georgiegirl
07-05-2013, 01:41 PM
You've probably thought of this already but if you have a "British" sounding name what about James? It is considered a common name but that is my DS1's name and we don't know many James' IRL. We don't use a nickname for him, BTW.

My BIL is named James, so it's not an option (as well as one of my exes.). Names are hard!

rin
07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I like Silas Leo a lot but DH doesn't...

What about Silas Lee? I like that better than Silas Leo, I feel like it "flows" more smoothly.

Clark
Max
Quinn
Graham

What about Rhys/Reese?

mom3boys
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM

Clark
Max
Quinn
Graham

Some one-syllable ones I thought of (one may already be your DS's name):

Drew
Clay
Jude
Jace
Chase
Pierce
Sam (just Sam, not Samuel)
Blaise
Blaine
Shane
Grant
Tate
Cael
Sean
Scott
Lane
Hoyt
Paul
Mark
Rex

BabyBearsMom
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Not PG but the names we have left on our list of short names are:

Elizabeth (Lizzy for short)
Penelope (Penny for short...damn you Kourtney Kardashian, if it wasn't for you this would have been DD2's name)
Charlotte (Charlie for short)
Lea/Leah
Mya/Mia

For boys:
Elias (Eli for short)

queenmama
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
What about Rhys/Reese?

I thought of Rhys, too! I like it with your DS' name.

I also love Graham/Graeme from your list.

What about Jude, Ralph/Rafe, Heath, Ross, Beau, Tate...?

georgiegirl
07-08-2013, 05:05 PM

I kind of like Rhys, but it seems difficult to spell and Reece is also a girls name. I've also thought about Jude. Graham was the runner -up for DS. But the kids don't like that name because they associate it with Graham Crackers. But they will have to deal with whatever name we pick.

DH and I still haven't discussed names. He supposedly had a list, but somehow all of his notes on is iPad get erased.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

YouAreTheFocus
07-08-2013, 05:44 PM

I love Rhys & Graham, those were on our list. Others I haven't seen here were: Reid, Grey, Finn.

wellyes
07-08-2013, 05:55 PM
I have to admit I don't know how to say Rhys.

I have a Graham. The cracker association has never been an issue, but, it does get a little confusing for him if we talk about his two grandmothers - Gramma and Grammy. Still it us a good name!

YouAreTheFocus
07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
I have to admit I don't know how to say Rhys.

It is pronounced the same as Reese/Reece. It is the original/masculine form of the name. Welsh.

swissair81
07-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I changed my mind :)

TxCat
07-08-2013, 09:34 PM
I love Rhys & Graham, those were on our list. Others I haven't seen here were: Reid, Grey, Finn.

I love Rhys and Graham as well. They don't work great with our last name (one syllable), but if I had a different last name, I'd definitely use them.

bostonsmama
07-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Luke Jason is our boy name for this one. We're so torn on girl names if it's not a boy (we find out mid next week). I like LJ as a nickname. Seriously, my goal is to be an NFL mom, or at least a sports mom...so I thought LJ would be great called over a loud speaker in a stadium! LOL

For girls, we haphazardly told DH's grandmother (95yrs old) whose name is Ollie that if we ever had another girl we'd love to name her Olivia in honor of her. We love the nickname Livie, and my mom's grandmother's name was Olive, which...no offense...is way too vintage for my taste (I just keep thinking of Popeye the Sailor Man)...but in a way it honors both of the grand/great grandmothers. However, 3 years later, here we are pregnant again and eating our words hoping for a boy. I loved the name Olivia...until everyone and their mother named their child Olivia.

So, for girl names we go back to our short list from when DD1 was being named:

Julianna
Gretel
Lilian/Liliana Grace
Harper
Natalie
Cerise
Colette
Josette
Caroline (Carol-een)

wallawala
07-08-2013, 11:20 PM
I love Rhys and Graham as well. They don't work great with our last name (one syllable), but if I had a different last name, I'd definitely use them.

Greer
Griffin/Griffen
Grayson
Austin
Bodin/Bode/boden. (Free discounts for life!!)

mom3boys
07-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Oh, we are forgetting a great one syllable name--"North". Works great for a girl too, apparently!