PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait for this party to be over

KLD313
07-04-2013, 11:05 PM
We're having a 4th of July party on Saturday. Getting ready for this party had consumed me for the past month and a half. I've had a house cleaner here twice a week cleaning and organizing. I've been out shopping everyday for the five days buying stuff to get ready. We spent an obscene amount of money on fireworks not to mention everything else. I'm embarrassed to admit the money this damn party is costing, I dont even want to add it up.

Almost all the guests are my boyfriends friends and family and these people have nerve. First his friends daughter wants to bring some friends, she's 14. Ok, fine. Then his friend calls and wants to bring another couple and their DD. I say no, BF tells them no then changes his mind. Another person called last week and said his daughter wants to be a friend. He tells them ok. Today a friend of his that he recently reconnected with says he needs to bring his in-laws and niece. What? Again, he says ok! I was fuming. Tonight his SIL emails me and says her daughter wants to bring some friends. First of all how many is some? I tell my BF he says tell her no there's too many people. I'm like you told everyone and their mother (literally) ok but you're going to have ME tell your niece no and look like a bitch? Idk what to do. I'm pissed.

Also, no I'm not a damn grocery store and I'm not having Coke AND Pepsi and I'm definitely not having a variety of brands of hot dogs because you don't think everyone will eat the ones I got. Then don't eat them I don't care!

mikala
07-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Whuck? What's up with all the add ons, much less the bringing unknown numbers of extra people? That is beyond rude. I also can't imagine diva behavior about hot dog or soda brands. Heck, even my three year old knows the phrase "you get what you get and you don't get upset."

Hope the party is a lot of fun!

sarahsthreads
07-05-2013, 05:26 AM
Holy moly...that's crazy! I can't imagine calling up a party host and asking to bring extra people, though I have been on the receiving end of that once or twice - but only for one extra person, not some unknown number.

And you know what? Your BF needs to chill about the beverage and hot dog options, or if he wants that much control he should take over the food planning. From someone who despises diet soda (artificial sweeteners cause migraines for me) but kept buying it for guests and then throwing it out when barely anybody drank it? Buy whatever beverages you want, provide water as an alternative, and be done with it. I've been to plenty of parties where the only beverage option I could drink was water, and guess what? The world did not end! ;) Probably lots of people would consider me a terrible hostess, but I've finally trained my die-hard-diet-soda-drinking friends not to look for it at parties I host.

I hope the party turns out to be fun, despite the stress of getting ready for it!

Sarah :)

MamaMolly
07-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Sweets this is your BF's family and HIS problem to deal with. At this point I'd be saying 'yes, dear' and going on my merry way doing what ever I want. I'm afraid that with this sort of crummy treatment before the party they might act like ingrates at the actual event.
And whats up with being picky about hotdogs? I mean yeah, I feel better about giving my kids the nitrate/nitrite free ones but really they are all just gnarly meat scraps. What a goofy thing to be picky about!

Tondi G
07-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Uugh ... I would turn this on him now. If he wants to have a variety of hotdogs then he can go buy them and find a way to label them so the picky hotdog eaters will know what they are eating! Pepsi and coke ...um no .... how about you buy generic COLA and then no one can complain .... if they don't want to drink it, don't drink it! OR how about you tell those folks who must have coke or pepsi specifically to bring their own cola of choice .... then everyone gets what they want! :) I have stopped worrying about people and their drink needs ... I get some juice boxes for kids, some bottled water and then sometimes we buy sodas ... sometimes we don't.

Hope the party goes well!

MamaMolly
07-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Thinking of you and hope they all behaved nicely!

KLD313
07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Ok so wanted to update. The one that was brining his in-laws canceled right before the party started. Another couple that was a tag-a-long to an invited couple showed up at 7:30, didn't eat and then raided my refrigerator later on after everything was put away. Most guests didn't come until around 6:30 and the party started at 4:00. I had way too much food despite not getting several kinds of hot dogs. Lol. We ended up with about 36 ppl including kids. I had fun but I also drank all day.

Oh and thanks to whoever posted about the diet soda. I resisted buying that because I always end up throwing it out too.

I'm on my phone so sorry for any typos

hillview
07-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Glad you survived. thanks for posting you are one heck of a host!

marinkitty
07-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I can't believe that!

We had 35 people over last night for a BBQ (20 kids) and I served a jug of ice water and a jug of lemonade for the kids and mini keg of beer and two types of cocktails for the adults. No canned or bottled anything and no soda at all. Everyone was totally fine. I cannot imagine people making special requests for soda brands, hot dog brands etc. Crazy!