PDA

View Full Version : Another Planetbox question, a reheating question, and has anyone tried Goodbyn?

Green22
07-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry for the million questions. I had a bunch under the deal post that Hillview posted, but I thought I would move the question over here. I am looking for a good alternative to lunch packing for DS once he starts DC in the fall, and also something for DD to use occassionally - her FA are less limiting, so she can eat more of the group lunches at her DC. He has a wheat and dairy allergy, so he basically eats meat. But right now we heat it up - he is usually eating some form of ground beef or turkey. How would we do this with the planetbox? I feel like a lot of the planetbox bento lunches I've seen are cold lunches. Anyone do hot or semi-hot? How do you handle that?

I have read on some bento mom sites where they will send stuff like soup in a thermos, and they say they heat it up to boiling before packing it. I thought about doing that with his meat, so long as the rest of his lunch doesn't need to be kept cool, but I am not sure if it would hold the heat.

Also, has anyone tried the Goodbyns? http://goodbyn.com/
They look pretty cute and are very affordable. It seems like the top of the lunchbox keeps the compartments separate pretty well too. I think they are also a bit smaller, so that might work well for our DC, where the kids are kind of crowded at their tables, which is another pro/con I am looking at with planetbox. Goodbyn wrote on FB that they are going to be releasing a 5 compartment goodbyn in early 2014. I think they might be a good solution for us, but I really really don't want my kids' lunch getting heated up in a platic container in the microwave at the DC. Reheating in plastic is something I am weird about.

I am thinking of getting one of each (eventually? maybe?) and seeing how they do, but thought I would ask.

brittone2
07-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I can't speak to Planetbox or Goodbyn, but if you pre-heat a decent thermos by pouring boiling water in it and letting it sit for 5-10 mins, and then add the hot food, it stays pretty warm. YMMV I guess depending on what thermos you are using. Maybe do a trial run or two this summer?

ahisma
07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
We've had both the first version of the Goodbyn and the Planetbox. DD ditched the Goodbyn pretty quickly, she found closing it to be frustrating. She did it properly most of the time but did wind up with a backpack full of lunch twice. She was in middle school at the time, for reference. I really, really wanted the Goodbyn to work, especially since it's a local company to us.

By the time they had their new versions out we had ditched plastic. It may be much better now - it looks like there have been significant redesigns.

We do love the Planetbox. We have 2 with plans to buy 2 more.

Kindra178
07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Can your daycare reheat? The launch has a glass reheating bowl. If not, the thermos works well. Ds1 doesn't care if his food is cold, so I often send pizza, quesadillas or noodles that I reheat in the am. He so prefers his planetbox, he would rather take that over a thermos.

Green22
07-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Can your daycare reheat? The launch has a glass reheating bowl. If not, the thermos works well. Ds1 doesn't care if his food is cold, so I often send pizza, quesadillas or noodles that I reheat in the am. He so prefers his planetbox, he would rather take that over a thermos.

I think they can reheat, but the cook is a little flaky sometimes, so I am trying to eliminate the need for extra steps. I am def. going to pick up the launch (I think . .the price is so hard for me to deal with mentally), because at least I know I can just ask them to heat up the glass jar, and just serve the rest as is. I also read that the planet box is easy to open and close- should make is easier on the teachers. Just close it up after lunch and put it in his cubby. No extra parts.

Brittone, thank you so much for explaining the thermos and boiling water thing to me. It makes total sense now. When I have read about this, I did not understand what someone was doing if it wasn't soup!

Anyone have a thermos brand the recommend? I seem to recall thermos foogoo ? Getting some mentions. Off to search. I am certainly going to give it a trial run.

Also, I read that goodbyn is going to be in target for a limited time starting July 11. It will be helpful to see that I'll I think. Thanks again!