PDA

View Full Version : oh for the love of pete.

megs4413
07-06-2013, 04:29 PM
my MIL put pictures up on fb today of my SIL's SIXTH baby shower for this baby.

SIXTH. my MIL has personally attended 3 of them.

I have tried so hard not to be jealous or hold it against her, but oh my gosh. Seriously? who gets SIX showers? I mean, could they at least quit posting all the pictures? That would help. :/

/petty rant over

bisous
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Okay, I confess, with DS1 I had FOUR showers which I thought was ridiculous and over the top. In my defense I had just moved so my church group friends from my old area threw one, my mother's friends threw one, MY friends threw one at a restaurant and my work threw a small one. Still it was a little bit ridiculous. SIX is incredible. I've never heard of it before. FWIW, I got LOTS of duplicates at my four showers. I think I got something like 40 receiving blankets and 30 onesies sized 0 to 3 months (DS1 ended up being huge and we needed like 3). Also, my baby was totally decked out for about one year, lol. After that the shower bounty dried up. I can't imagine the duplicates she must be having with SIX showers!

Pennylane
07-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Honestly, I would be embarrassed to have that many showers and would not be putting it on FB.

Ann

scrooks
07-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Honestly, I would be embarrassed to have that many showers and would not be putting it on FB.

Ann
Ditto this! And if I makes you feel better I had zero showers for ds and zero showers for this baby. They aren't done around here for second or third babies unless there is a big gap since the last child.

Liziz
07-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Ugh, that it totally crazy. I'm not terribly jealous, but I'll be honest, that would make me jealous. I didn't even get one shower (for my first baby), because none of my family live in town (and they assumed I wouldn't want to travel for a shower....which I would have, they never asked me!), and I don't have many close friends in this city, and the closest friends were also preggo when I was and I don't think it was on their radar (I didn't do it for any of them b/c they had other showers in town that I participated in). Six showers is insane!

twowhat?
07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow, that would make me jealous too. I had "only" one shower for the twins - my first kids! - and it was a work shower combined with another friend/co-worker who was also preggo!! It was a lovely shower, but honestly I felt a little jipped having only one shower that wasn't even 100% focused on me. Wow, I sound like a spoiled brat now:)

eta: Oh and agree that flaunting it is so not cool. Is she the one posting all the pics? Or are various friends posting pics? 6 showers for 1 baby is totally ridiculous.

kara97210
07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Ann

:yeahthat:
And maybe I'm a bad person, but the thought of writing 6 showers worth of thank you notes sounds exhausting.

trentsmom
07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
And maybe I'm a bad person, but the thought of writing 6 showers worth of thank you notes sounds exhausting.

You're not alone - that was my first thought!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-06-2013, 10:54 PM
wow, 6 showers is ridiculous. i don't get why people can't combine them.....were they seriously all in different cities/states?? and maybe this sounds bad but why does someone need that many showers..like if i had a coworker friend who i knew was having several other showers from family, etc i would feel they've had enoughh and can just do with a casual "let's all go out to lunch to celebrate xx having a baby" sort of thing.

petesgirl
07-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I love pete (my DH) :)

But, seriously--I am with you on the ridiculousness of SIX baby showers!! I get annoyed when I am invited to more than one for the same person, and even get a little annoyed at showers for subsequent babies, unless it is a different gender.
You have every right to feel the way you do about it!

belovedgandp
07-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah, at some point those guest lists could have been combined or the offers for a shower toned down to a "let's do a girls lunch" instead.

I'd be jealous too.

BunnyBee
07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I would be jealous (not quite the right emotion but...) too, and not about the stuff. I can't imagine having 6 parties full of people who give a hoot. I'm an extreme introvert and it sounds overwhelming! Hopefully she has to write lots of thank you notes for useless tchotchkes. ;) And I'm sorry you are feeling uncelebrated. :(

hellokitty
07-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Wow, six showers is over the top. I'd be jealous too, but not of six showers. Just one would have been well appreciated.

MamaMolly
07-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Hugs hugs hugs hugs. Vent away. I would be steaming, even if it is 'petty' or 'jealous' and to be honest I don't care if it either one. I have sucky shower stories of my own (Lula's shower was shared, only allowed (!!!) to invite 2 guests, my sister got at least 4 showers, and then Dolly's shower was watching my friend and neighbor get THOUSANDS of dollars of gifts from the same people showering for us when we got $60....) I'm sorry it is HARD not to compare and it is HARD to not feel like you are getting the dirty end of the stick. And this is a safe place for those feelings, so like I said vent away!! No rotten tomatoes thrown here!

123LuckyMom
07-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Six showers is ridiculous and greedy. I can see having two-- one a family member throws for your family and friends to attend and one your coworkers threw.

Maybe if you travel frequently across the country or abroad to see distant family there could be a third. I guess if your religious community threw you another one, there could conceivably be four, though I would have invited those people to the shower for family and friends.

Six is just greedy! The only reason to have that many showers is to ensure that each and every person you know can come and be required to give a gift! Another reason could be that her life is so segmented that none of her family or friends know of each other or can be in the same room together, in which case, I feel sorry for her! Who on earth is throwing all these showers, and why weren't these people invited to one or two big showers?

Bitch away, OP! Six showers is just ridiculous!!!

lizzywednesday
07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Um, what? 6 showers?

You are not being petty. 6 showers is ... baffling.

sarahsthreads
07-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I can't imagine having six showers. I don't know that I'd (personally) be jealous - I mean, unless they're all really small groups, where would you put six showers' worth of baby gear in your house? How much stuff does one tiny baby need? And honestly, I hate being the center of that much attention, doing it six times over sounds awful!

(And as PP have pointed out, that's a *ton* of thank you notes to write!)

Sarah

glbb35
07-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow, 6 is a lot! I would be bothered by it too. I remember when SIL was pg she had 5 and even 4 with the last. I mean I had two large separate showers as the 2 groups were completely different for DS#1 but 6? Part of it was that they were completely different groups of people who otherwise would never be together. Yikes. I wouldn't want to go to that many! And writing thank you notes would be a nightmare. And then having it posted all over FB would be a bigger pain in the butt and reminder. Just be the bigger person and let it go. Don't make a big deal about it the showers and def. don't let them know it bothers you! :)

marymoo86
07-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Not to mention 6 showers worth of returns, exchanges, and "what the hell do I do with this"....

randomkid
07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
That's crazy! We had 3 showers when I was pregnant with DD and I thought that was too much. I actually didn't even want to go to all of them myself! I will say that not one person attended 2 showers, though. They had one for us at DH's work, somebody from my work hosted one for my work friends, then my Mom and best friend hosted one for family and close friends outside of work - that one was actually quite small since most of my friends are at work. I can actually understand how one might have 3 showers since I did, but six? That's ridiculous!