PDA

View Full Version : Help making a boy American Girl doll

KrisM
07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
I'm not having luck figuring out how to do this. I was thinking of buying an off-brand, like Springfield, and cutting the hair into a boy style. But, I have no idea how to cut hair and am afraid to royally screw it up. I'd like to make a doll for DS2 so he has one when he plays with DD. He has a Bitty Twin now, but he wants one that can sit, etc.

Anyone know of a tutorial maybe?

Melaine
07-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm not having luck figuring out how to do this. I was thinking of buying an off-brand, like Springfield, and cutting the hair into a boy style. But, I have no idea how to cut hair and am afraid to royally screw it up. I'd like to make a doll for DS2 so he has one when he plays with DD. He has a Bitty Twin now, but he wants one that can sit, etc.

Anyone know of a tutorial maybe?

Have you looked on gymbofriends (if you are a member)? There is a lot of talk about making boy AG dolls from girls. I think they fade the lip color too if I'm not mistaken.

KrisM
07-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Have you looked on gymbofriends (if you are a member)? There is a lot of talk about making boy AG dolls from girls. I think they fade the lip color too if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not a member. Lip color makes sense, since some are pretty pink.

Cuckoomamma
07-07-2013, 07:10 PM
My girls have a My Twin boy that someone outgrew and passed on to them. He's a bit bigger than the AG dolls, but they love that because they use him to partner their dolls when choreographing for them. He's also makes appearances as the teacher :-) He came with a duffle bag of clothing, as well.

KrisM
07-07-2013, 07:51 PM
My girls have a My Twin boy that someone outgrew and passed on to them. He's a bit bigger than the AG dolls, but they love that because they use him to partner their dolls when choreographing for them. He's also makes appearances as the teacher :-) He came with a duffle bag of clothing, as well.

Those are neat. We have AG stuff though, so I need to keep the same size. Pottery Barn has a boy doll, but it's $99. I don't know how long he'll play with it to know if it's worth it or not.

Corie
07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I might take the doll into a Great Clips or someplace similar and let them cut the hair.

Or you could take the doll to your next hair appt. and see if your hair person will
cut the doll's hair after she cuts your hair.

Just a thought.

Clarity
07-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Do you think your dd might adopt it, much like pp, if your ds tires of the doll? That would make the $99 more worthwhile.

KrisM
07-07-2013, 09:07 PM
I might take the doll into a Great Clips or someplace similar and let them cut the hair.

Or you could take the doll to your next hair appt. and see if your hair person will
cut the doll's hair after she cuts your hair.

Just a thought.

That's a good idea. I hadn't thought of taking it somewhere.

Do you think your dd might adopt it, much like pp, if your ds tires of the doll? That would make the $99 more worthwhile.

It would. I'm not sure if she would or not. Maybe I can figure that out.

Neatfreak
07-07-2013, 09:15 PM
The first few results from a google search give some how-to videos:

http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+make+a+boy+american+girl+doll&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=QhLaUZyFAoHViwKt7IGQDQ

KrisM
07-07-2013, 09:33 PM
The first few results from a google search give some how-to videos:

http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=how+to+make+a+boy+american+girl+doll&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=QhLaUZyFAoHViwKt7IGQDQ

The majority of the videos are either rewigging a doll, or not cutting and using barrettes to hold hair and then a cap on top. I don't think I have time to figure out how to do the wig replacement, and I don't have a wig. The barrettes seem better for a temporary solution, but I'm sure DS would rather not have to have a hat on all the time. One video showed after having been cut and talked about gouging in the hair. That's what worries me!

Neatfreak
07-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Boo. I am kind of partial to a haircutting solution, but I think that you'd need to mindful of the original hairstyle on the doll b/c I think it's hard to modify the part.

pinkmomagain
07-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I just sold older bitty twins one of which was a boy. Maybe check Craigslist or ebay for a boy bitty twin.

crl
07-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Well, maybe not all that helpful since they are still over $90 but this Etsy shop has used American Girl dolls that have been turned into boy dolls.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TwiceLovedDolls#

Catherine

KrisM
07-07-2013, 11:42 PM
I just sold older bitty twins one of which was a boy. Maybe check Craigslist or ebay for a boy bitty twin.

He has a boy Bitty Twin and really likes it. But, it doesn't sit or stand on its own. It makes playing school, or having dinner hard for him when the girl dolls sit in the chairs nicely. I lucked out and found a great Bitty Twin for $25 at a garage sale last year!

trales
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Walmart has 18 inch boy dolls. They are around $98. I think you are better off just buying an 18 inch boy doll or an already converted one, than trying to do it yourself.

KrisM
07-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Walmart has 18 inch boy dolls. They are around $98. I think you are better off just buying an 18 inch boy doll or an already converted one, than trying to do it yourself.

Wow, I looked there, and have shopped their dolls in the past, but have never seen a boy doll. Are they in the regular doll section or somewhere else? Do you know the brand?

I can't spend $98 on a doll for him. Yes, he plays with it, but maybe 1 day a week. It would use my entire birthday budget for the doll as well. When DD got an AG last year, she only got a couple very small things to go with it. She was thrilled, as that is what she really wanted. DS2 would be disappointed to not get anything that he really asked for and is hoping for. So, I'm looking for a more affordable solution.

Melaine
07-10-2013, 06:07 AM
http://myfroggystuff.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-american-boy-for-less.html

KrisM
07-10-2013, 07:59 AM
http://myfroggystuff.blogspot.com/2012/06/make-american-boy-for-less.html

Thanks! That helps!

trales
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I believe the Walmart ones are online only.

Melaine
07-10-2013, 03:57 PM
I just thought of one more thing. If you'd like to stick with AG you might look on ebay for one that has already had a "haircut" by a child. You might get a deal and be able to trim it into a boy style easily. You might even get lucky on freecycle if you mention condition can be poor. I found one at Goodwill that had been butchered by a child.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battat-Boy-18-Inch-Doll-Blonde-Hair-Blue-Eyes-Friend-of-American-Girl-/251300596160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a82aec9c0

jenstring95
07-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I just thought of one more thing. If you'd like to stick with AG you might look on ebay for one that has already had a "haircut" by a child. You might get a deal and be able to trim it into a boy style easily. You might even get lucky on freecycle if you mention condition can be poor. I found one at Goodwill that had been butchered by a child.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battat-Boy-18-Inch-Doll-Blonde-Hair-Blue-Eyes-Friend-of-American-Girl-/251300596160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a82aec9c0

I think this would be a great way to go because if your DS doesn't want it one day then you can send it into the American Girl hospital and get a new head put on it (don't know how much this costs, but it has to be cheaper than buying the whole doll) and then give it to your DD.

KrisM
07-10-2013, 10:19 PM

I think this would be a great way to go because if your DS doesn't want it one day then you can send it into the American Girl hospital and get a new head put on it (don't know how much this costs, but it has to be cheaper than buying the whole doll) and then give it to your DD.

I love that idea! I'll take a look around the stores here, but it's too late for ebay. I wish I had thought of this gift idea sooner so I could do more of these great ideas.