PDA

View Full Version : Thanks neighbor for the non-stop pool parties all weekend

janine
07-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Our neighbors recently put in a pool - admittedly we were not supportive (they required town approvals,etc). We are in tight lots close to each other and no one has pools for this very reason. I was concerned about safety, visual, noise. We obviously lost that battle and the pool went in literally a stone's throw from us.

So here comes the b$%atch! All weekend, seriously 10+hrs a day for days straight, it was like a rotation of people in and out. At least 14 people over, morning noon and night. Screaming, splashing, blasting music (they installed outdoor speakers). I specifically moved to the burbs to have some peace and quiet!!! We end up staying inside much of the time - it's a subconscious reaction. On Saturday (not July 4th) they had a rockin, splashin pool party that still was full on at 10pm. I turned on all the lights (to remind them how CLOSE their neighbors were), shot a few stares and finally they wrapped it up. I mean don't these kids every sleep?They only have 1 DC but have enough people over you'd think they had 10.

Mikey0709
07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
I can relate - - except our neighbor has a pool which can hold over 30 people! WITH diving board and sliding board. Right next to the 3 story climber, horseshoe pit and trampoline - which they jump on FROM THE ROOF of the porch! Most nights the party can go on until 2am and they will have the entire baseball team over with parents and staff! We have small houses, but larger yards. I just can't handle a party for hours every night on the weekend.

What REALLY bothers me - - is the campfire! Can't open my windows because of the smoke and the smell coming right in. Apparently it's allowed in our county, but a certain amount of feet from the house.

AND the fireworks - - which are illegal but no-one seems to be bothered by that.

SEriously i'm glad my children are younger and we don't socialize - - i'm nervous just watching from my window. The pool makes me nervous, the trampoline makes me nervous and the 12 ft FIRE makes me nervous.....

THE BEST move we EVER made was putting in a fence when we bought the house. BEST MOVE EVER even though years later it's needs to be replaced. I don't think we could have lived without it.

gatorsmom
07-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Ugh, that sounds awful. If the pool is new, I suspect that they are just excited to have people over. We are putting in a pool (we can go in it but the deck isn't done) and even though we haven't had friends over yet, the kids have been swimming in it. I'm already tired of the amount of towels I have to wash.

I suspect at some point (hopefully soon!) the excitement will wear off and your neighbors will have fewer parties.

janine
07-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I can relate - - except our neighbor has a pool which can hold over 30 people! WITH diving board and sliding board. Right next to the 3 story climber, horseshoe pit and trampoline - which they jump on FROM THE ROOF of the porch! Most nights the party can go on until 2am and they will have the entire baseball team over with parents and staff! We have small houses, but larger yards. I just can't handle a party for hours every night on the weekend.

What REALLY bothers me - - is the campfire! Can't open my windows because of the smoke and the smell coming right in. Apparently it's allowed in our county, but a certain amount of feet from the house.

AND the fireworks - - which are illegal but no-one seems to be bothered by that.

SEriously i'm glad my children are younger and we don't socialize - - i'm nervous just watching from my window. The pool makes me nervous, the trampoline makes me nervous and the 12 ft FIRE makes me nervous.....

THE BEST move we EVER made was putting in a fence when we bought the house. BEST MOVE EVER even though years later it's needs to be replaced. I don't think we could have lived without it.

Oh wow that is bad. Eek, can you not call the cops for disturbing the peace or the town for all the saftey hazards? 2am is unacceptable!

janine
07-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Ugh, that sounds awful. If the pool is new, I suspect that they are just excited to have people over. We are putting in a pool (we can go in it but the deck isn't done) and even though we haven't had friends over yet, the kids have been swimming in it. I'm already tired of the amount of towels I have to wash.

I suspect at some point (hopefully soon!) the excitement will wear off and your neighbors will have fewer parties.

Yea I hope so. They are pretty obsessive compulsive though, so everything is always to the extreme. I have nothing against pools, just a pool THIS close since it impacts our peace and quiet! I really don't get how they can just hang out for this long, don't they have to run errand or go shopping for all this food they are dishing out?

hellokitty
07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
That sucks. One of our neighbors two houses down with a backyard on the other side of ours, has a pool. However, we never knew it (he never had any pool parties), until he sold the house to new ppl who moved in a month ago. The idiots built a DECK for an above ground pool that is TALLER than the fence. So, now, not only do we get to hear them being rowdy, but we get to see them too. They have teenagers and basically no parents supervision. It sucks. I would not be happy if they were THAT close to my house, like your situation.

123LuckyMom
07-08-2013, 10:34 AM
Ugh! That's terrible!!! If I were you and we're looking to give them a dose of their own medicine, I might blast opera in your back yard. I love opera, but I suspect those neighbors of yours would not!

icunurse
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Yikes! Hopefully, it is just the novelty of the new pool and being around a holiday. Our town is pretty strict about building pools (not saying that some people don't fudge the rules after getting permit approval, though). We just built a pool and the town was very concerned about safety and making sure that we follow distance guidelines, for both ourselves and the respect of our neighbors. Our neighbor diagonal from us tends to blare their music, so we have a small speaker next to our pool to play something lightly just to block them out.

How close are they? Can you plant some trees to shield them a bit?

janine
07-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I was thinking of blasting some of DD's CD's - Yo Gabba Gabba and some pretty annoying Mickey Mouse tunes. Unfortunately their kiddie player cannot compete with professionally installed outdoor speakers!

janine
07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Yikes! Hopefully, it is just the novelty of the new pool and being around a holiday. Our town is pretty strict about building pools (not saying that some people don't fudge the rules after getting permit approval, though). We just built a pool and the town was very concerned about safety and making sure that we follow distance guidelines, for both ourselves and the respect of our neighbors. Our neighbor diagonal from us tends to blare their music, so we have a small speaker next to our pool to play something lightly just to block them out.

How close are they? Can you plant some trees to shield them a bit?

The pool is 15ft away per town ordinance (they wanted less but lost out - but were able to push back on other sides). Our lot is not that wide so it's not like we can focus on other side. We are in the process of trying to shield things with trees, but unfortunately that does not block out noise and views from upstairs. I just don't get late night pool parties with kids or 10hr marathons for days..don't they get tired? Although now I'm thinking ahead to teen years, ugh.
If the pool had been put in before we moved, I could have assessed it then, but it was added after so didn't really have any choice.

BunnyBee
07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Maybe you need outside speakers too? A nice, loud gospel choir broadcast at 8 am perhaps? ;)

ahisma
07-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm sorry. That's maddening. The nonstop party house on our block happens to the the home of DD's gym teacher (high school). I've been tempted to bring the kids to his door when they wake up at night from his party noise. I like PP's idea of the 8 am gospel choir:)

glbb35
07-08-2013, 01:55 PM
That would be maddening! We have a pool but also a large private lot. I would never think about having pool parties so late but again my kids are young. I agree with Gatorsmom it might be a new thing for them and they are enjoying it to the max. If it continues I would definitely talk to them about how it is affecting you. They might not understand with young kids how frustrated you are. We feel that same way about the lawnmowers in the late spring and summer. We realize to beat the heat many are out early to cut lawns and we all have large lots. But starting right at 8 am (when the noise restrictions are off) on a Saturday morning and mowing for an hour and then blowing is ridiculous. Especially when you have been up all night with a child! :) I hope things get better as the novelty wears off.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

sarahsthreads
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM
That's just crazy amounts of rudeness. I'm generally only out in the pool with my kids in the middle of the day for at most an hour or two (and I suspect most of our neighbors aren't even home, as we never hear or see them) and I *still* do not allow screaming and loud horseplay so that we don't disturb the peace more than we need to. And we have a very private, tree-surrounded yard, with a good amount of space between the pool and the property lines on all sides, but I know very well that the trees don't block noise.

And the towels! We had a family of four over this weekend (we all only spent about an hour in the pool) and I could not believe how many towels the eight of us went through. Maybe they have a bring your own towel policy? I can't imagine hosting so many people all day every day and dealing with the supervision stress and the laundry and the food and cleaning the bathrooms and constantly mopping the pool water off the floors so nobody slips... :dizzy:

Here's hoping they get tired of all the work quickly and it gets a little less wild over there!

Sarah