PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations to read to a 5 year old Boy?

khalloc
07-08-2013, 11:39 AM
I currently read with DD at night. lately she has been into American Girl books. Usually the GOTY books. We read 1-2 chapters a night on my iPad.

DS wants to buy new books on the iPad as well. This would be me reading to him. Can anyone recommend chapter books that would hold the interest of a 5 year old very active boy? Again, he is not the one reading. I am. So something that an adult can read to a child that would be interesting to him and we'd be able to read the story a chapter a night over a couple of weeks (or longer is fine too!).

lizzywednesday
07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
My brother Ger loved the Wizard of Oz books at an age similar to your son's.

You can also try the Little House on the Prairie books - if you think he'd be put off by a female narrator, ease him in with Farmer Boy, which is about Almanzo Wilder's childhood rather than Laura's.

Also, I've been looking at the Origami Yoda series for my nephew, but I think they might be too much for him to handle on his own.

brittone2
07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
My Father's Dragon if he's just getting used to sitting longer.
Mouse and the Motorcycle series?
Stuart Little
Mr Popper's Penguins
Homer Price
The Pushcart War
Little House on the Prairie series
Henry and Ribsy series
Wizard of Oz
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
Pippi Longstocking

Have you tried something like Thinking Putty, modeling beeswax, silly putty, etc. while he's sitting and listening (some of those aren't necessarily a good idea on carpet, but some are less messy)? My friend has a daughter who has trouble sitting, and she does much better with something she can do with her hands while listening to a story.

khalloc
07-08-2013, 11:52 AM
He can sit still for a book. Its not a case of him getting up and running around or needing something else to do. I just want him to actually listen to it and not be bored. He loves Star Wars right now. We usually read the book laying in his bed at night before its time to sleep. He is a pretty good book listener. But if the story is boring, he's not going to pay attention.

He likes star wars, we've read a step-into-reading book about King Tuts Mummy which he also enjoys. I think he'd enjoy something with some action, or at least something cool (like mummies in Egypt!).

lizzywednesday
07-08-2013, 12:21 PM

He likes star wars, we've read a step-into-reading book about King Tuts Mummy which he also enjoys. I think he'd enjoy something with some action, or at least something cool (like mummies in Egypt!).

Maybe try The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan? Not sure how scary it might be, as I haven't read it (yet) but my BFF's DD loves it.

Also, my DD is just now patient enough (at 3) for the Magic Schoolbus books by Joanna Cole. We have "at the Waterworks" and I've got a bunch on her WishList for Christmas. They might be interesting for your son, too. (In other words, just because I'm reading them to my 3 y/o, don't think that they are for preschoolers! They are probably about Kindy to 2nd grade level, depending on the kid.)

Another one my brother enjoyed was Inspector Bodyguard - it appears to be out of print, but your library might have it. (This is it: http://www.amazon.com/Inspector-Bodyguard-Patrols-Land-U/dp/067160306X)

ray7694
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I would read shorter chapter books. Magic Treehouse

Kindra178
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
We fell upon the Jack Stalwart series upon recs here and I can't recommend it enough. My kids beg me to read more chapters every night. I like it too. It's about a little boy who is a special agent for the government. Kind of like a kid James Bond. He uses cool gadgets from a special book bag.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/56370-secret-agent-jack-stalwart

brittone2
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
How about the Time Warp Trio? I think they have one on Tut. http://www.amazon.com/Tut-Time-Warp-Trio/dp/0142400475/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=
If he likes history, there are a bunch more.

I will read MTH if they ask for it, but prefer to save it for when they first start reading independently. There are some Egypt themed ones (Mummies in the Morning, maybe others).

curiousgeorge
07-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Yes! My son is almost 4.5 and we started reading The Magic Treehouse series a few weeks ago. We are starting book 7 this week. He loves them! There are also guides you can get that go with each book and delve deeper into that topic (i.e. mummies).

ahisma
07-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Just don't make the mistake that I made and buy the first 28 MTH books all at once. Interest fizzled around #12 when they caught on to the formulaic structure.

I'm reading Mary Pope Osborne's (MTH author) Odyssey books to my 4 and 6 yo now. They're captivated. I introduced the Greek gods as the first superheros, which I think made sense to them. Better to buy the two 3 book compilations that the 6 individual books though - much cheaper.

gatorsmom
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM

:yeahthat: I've been reading Magic Treehouse to the twins. They love it. The books are short and exciting. They keep their attention easily.

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Ds2 loves Berenstain Bears.

MamaMolly
07-08-2013, 07:32 PM
My Side of the Mountain
The Trumpet of the Swan
The Mouse and the Motorcycle

ABO Mama
07-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! And any Dahl books, they are all great to read aloud.

alirebco
07-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Magic Treehouse, Flat Stanley