PDA

View Full Version : Lego Star Wars help please- losing my mind!

LAMom
07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
My soon to be 5 year old abandoned his Thomas obsession and now wants lego Star Wars for his birthday. How he learned about star wars I have no clue, he has never seen it.

So just as I learned waaaay more than I ever wanted about sodor I have to explore a new toy universe.

There seem to be hundreds of sets, all of them very specific and obscure. I just want a basic brick set with main characters. Can't find anything, instead it's super specialized sets. Even my husband who is a huge Star Wars fan is baffled by most of the offerings.

Before I go into full meltdown does anyone have any suggestions on a starter kit appropriate for someone just turning 5?

mommylamb
07-08-2013, 04:26 PM
My DS (just turned 6) is really into lego star wars right now too. It does seem like there isn't any obvious starter kit though-- at least nothing with all the characters. We got him the Jabba's Palace gift as his birthday present this year, and it has a lot of figurines, though by no means everyone. DS1 is just really into the Jabba the Hut part of Return of the Jedi, so this was a good set for him. This set is an age 9-14 set, but he was able to put it together with minimal help from me. He has a couple of the other smaller Lego Star Wars sets too.

ahisma
07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
What about the Lego Star Wars advent calendar? You get a lot of minifigs that way and it should be age appropriate to assemble. Although, it's not Christmas...

khalloc
07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
My 5 year old is really into Lego Star Wars too. He doesnt really put the sets together himself though. Most of the larger sets are for ages 7+ or 9+. The sets that are simpler are usually the smaller sets. usually his older sister (7yo) or myself put the sets together for him. He just likes to fly the space ships around.

I like to buy the space ship sets because I know my DS will play with them after they are built.