PDA

View Full Version : S/o: Will the royal baby be a boy or girl?

TwinFoxes
07-09-2013, 07:54 AM
...and what will s/he be named? I think girl. And maybe named Victoria or Charlotte. Long shot of Elizabeth.

Poll coming...

georgiegirl
07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
I've heard girl. Victoria sounds like a good possibility. What about Margaret (Maggie)? Don't the royal babies have like 5 names. So it will probably be Victoria Elizabeth Anne Margaret.

JBaxter
07-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Im wondering if Diana will be in a girls name

janine
07-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Girl - I think that slip a few months ago was the real thing. Although if so, the baby girl sure didn't steal her beauty like mine did :)!

For names I think Victoria or Alexandra. Middle names will include Diana. This is right around Diana's birthday too - it won't be ignored IMO.

queenmama
07-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Girl - I think that slip a few months ago was the real thing. Although if so, the baby girl sure didn't steal her beauty like mine did :)!

For names I think Victoria or Alexandra. Middle names will include Diana. This is right around Diana's birthday too - it won't be ignored IMO.

Exactly this!

elektra
07-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Victoria Diana?
Has any royal ever given their baby a non-British, non-royal name? I am guessing we won't have an "Apple" or "Moxie Crimefighter" but are there rules to the naming?

vonfirmath
07-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I've heard girl. Victoria sounds like a good possibility. What about Margaret (Maggie)? Don't the royal babies have like 5 names. So it will probably be Victoria Elizabeth Anne Margaret.

I think Victoria as a middle name is a possibility. But not as a first. That would be pretty pretentious.

Evidently Alexandra is a high possibility name for first (though I'm not sure where it comes from?)
http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/05/world/europe/britain-royal-baby-name/index.html

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I think Victoria as a middle name is a possibility. But not as a first. That would be pretty pretentious.

Evidently Alexandra is a high possibility name for first (though I'm not sure where it comes from?)

Alexandra is one of Queen Elizabeth's names. I see that as a big possibility. Other ones would be Mary (Queen Elizabeth's grandmother's name). And possibly Alice which is Prince Phillip' mother's name (and the granddaughter of queen Victoria). Maybe diana's mom's name? I don't know what that is, though. Eta: diana's mothers name was Frances.

TwinFoxes
07-09-2013, 10:57 AM

Can you be pretentious if "Her Royal Highness" is already part of your name? ;)

Elektra, the Queen has to approve the name. I mentioned in the other thread that Fergie wanted to name Eugenie Annabelle, and the Queen nixed it. I'm thinking Moxie Crimefighter would be out.

janine
07-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Can you be pretentious if "Her Royal Highness" is already part of your name? ;)
Elektra, the Queen has to approve the name. I mentioned in the other thread that Fergie wanted to name Eugenie Annabelle, and the Queen nixed it. I'm thinking Moxie Crimefighter would be out.

LOL re: pretention and tradition - isn't that the purpose of the royal family? We don't want any descent into Kardiashian territory!

And eek on the Queen's taste in choosing Eugenie over Annabelle!

I do hope they add Diana to the name. This child would be the future Queen and wouldn't that be interesting.

flashy09
07-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Supposedly pilots have a much higher ratio of girls to boys so I am guessing girl!

They truly did not find out the sex though so it will be a surprise to them.

mommylamb
07-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Victoria Diana?
Has any royal ever given their baby a non-British, non-royal name? I am guessing we won't have an "Apple" or "Moxie Crimefighter" but are there rules to the naming?

North West Windsor??

twotimesblue
07-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Curious as to why so many people are guessing girl? The couple don't even know so it is just as likely to be a boy! And if we're going off old wives' tales, her bump is very neat and out front which would suggest boy

citymama
07-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Girl. It would be sad if she didn't have Diana in her name. She's going to be a pretty one!

janine
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Curious as to why so many people are guessing girl? The couple don't even know so it is just as likely to be a boy! And if we're going off old wives' tales, her bump is very neat and out front which would suggest boy

I'm going with girl for 2 reasons 1) I'm a cynic and do think they know and that the slip of the tongue was a real one and
2) My own random preference, I'd like to see a first born girl be queen since they recently changed the rules for lineage (was previously first born boy unless no boys) - and it would seem fitting to have Diana in the name,etc.

StantonHyde
07-09-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm going with girl for 2 reasons 1) I'm a cynic and do think they know and that the slip of the tongue was a real one and
2) My own random preference, I'd like to see a first born girl be queen since they recently changed the rules for lineage (was previously first born boy unless no boys) - and it would seem fitting to have Diana in the name,etc.

I think Alexandra is a lovely, strong name for a girl and has lots of nickname potential (always a plus for the boarding school types!). And Diana-please, please, please have that name in there!!

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 02:49 PM

I do hope they add Diana to the name. This child would be the future Queen and wouldn't that be interesting.

Eugenie is a family name. I think it was the name of QE2's great aunt. She became a Queen of Spain, iirc.

And sadly, this little girl will only become the queen if she doesn't have any brothers.

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 02:56 PM
since they recently changed the rules for lineage (was previously first born boy unless no boys)

This is huge. When did they change it? I follow this stuff as a guilty (pretty harmless) pleasure. There was a lot of discussion about succession laws for the European monarchies back in April when Prince Willem of the Netherlands became king following his mother's abdication.

I do know the queen changed the way the queens' grandchildren are titled.

queenmama
07-09-2013, 03:09 PM
This is huge. When did they change it? I follow this stuff as a guilty (pretty harmless) pleasure. There was a lot of discussion about succession laws for the European monarchies back in April when Prince Willem of the Netherlands became king following his mother's abdication.

They did this a couple of years ago, after the marriage but before the pregnancy.

elektra
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I really like Alexandra as well. Love some of the nicknames too! We thought of it as a possibility for DD.

janine
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
They did this a couple of years ago, after the marriage but before the pregnancy.

Right, October 2011. This was pretty well publicized but maybe not noted much in the U.S. So I think it would be so fitting for the first born to be a girl :).

crl
07-09-2013, 03:28 PM

The change was made just in time for this baby. :). http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/europe/uk-line-of-succession

And I am hoping for a girl because of it. Though really it doesn't matter of course.

Catherine

citymama
07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
And sadly, this little girl will only become the queen if she doesn't have any brothers.

Not any more! First born will inherit the throne.

janine
07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I think Alexandra is a lovely, strong name for a girl and has lots of nickname potential (always a plus for the boarding school types!). And Diana-please, please, please have that name in there!!

I am hoping for Alexandra as well - and agree on Diana. It just seems to complete the circle, especially with it being around Di's birthday. And wasn't there that rumor that William had promised Diana to reinstate her HRH once he was King? This would be one poetic way to fullfill that. Only a rumor of course but somethig I always imagined as being likely true.

Fairy
07-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Im wondering if Diana will be in a girls name

I would love this. Luuuuuurve this. But no way will Queen Elizabeth go for that, IMO. I do think she'd allow it for the middle name.

Fairy
07-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Not any more! First born will inherit the throne.

Right, she will certainly inherit the throne if any of them actually die before it's time for her to take it, which at this point with the longevity of this crew, is gettin' iffy! Personally I'm hoping QEII beats out Victoria's record. I'm pulling for her.

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
The change was made just in time for this baby. :). http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/europe/uk-line-of-succession

And I am hoping for a girl because of it. Though really it doesn't matter of course.

Catherine

Wow, how did I miss that? Admittedly, I've only recently become obsessed with the histories of royal houses in the past 6 months. And I've been reading a lot of old threads. I didn't know Denmark switched to equal primogeniture as well and that happened in 2008!

It would be cool to have another Queen. England has a history of strong, confident queens!

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Right, she will certainly inherit the throne if any of them actually die before it's time for her to take it, which at this point with the longevity of this crew, is gettin' iffy! Personally I'm hoping QEII beats out Victoria's record. I'm pulling for her.

I am too. When Queen Beatrice of the Netherlands abdicated recently so her son could take the throne, as I understand it, QE2 got huffy at the suggestion of abdicating for Prince Charles. I thi it would be very cool if she beat out Victoria too.

vonfirmath
07-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I am too. When Queen Beatrice of the Netherlands abdicated recently so her son could take the throne, as I understand it, QE2 got huffy at the suggestion of abdicating for Prince Charles. I thi it would be very cool if she beat out Victoria too.

I kind of think QE2 is trying to outlive her son so the throne will go directly to William.

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
I kind of think QE2 is trying to outlive her son so the throne will go directly to William.

Well, considering how long her mom lived, it's certain Prince Charles won't have a long reign when he does finally reach the throne.

Philly Mom
07-09-2013, 04:54 PM

I think there are lots of people who hope that will be the case. Charles would never abdicate to his son even though William would be preferred.

karstmama
07-09-2013, 05:15 PM
queen victoria's first name (i think first, i know the family called her drina) was alexandrina, so i'd bet on that before alexandra. and i seriously *seriously* doubt that 'diana' would be allowed. actually,'catherine' wouldn't surprise me. so i'll go with 'catherine mary elizabeth moxiecrimefighter'.

TwinFoxes
07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
I can't imagine QEII abdicating. They have yet to get over Edward VIII abdicating. I think she would see it as shirking her duty.

I think Alexandra is a good choice...Princess Ally! Or Princess Sasha. Margaret after the Queen's sister would be good. Margaret, Catherine and Elizabeth are the classic British names, right? All three would be covered in the family!

BTW, I was mistaken, it was Beatrice they wanted to name Annabel, not Eugenie. Do I have to turn in my Anglophile card? ;)

tg_canada
07-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe Bugaboo for the name? Ha ha. Just thinking she's a trend breaker so perhaps the name won't be what people expect.

Gena
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM

What's wrong with Eugenie?

(Gena is short for Eugenia. :D )

essnce629
07-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I say girl as well. I thought they did know and she accidentally said "she" at one point? My half-sister's name in Alexandra and she's 1/2 British so that would be cool!

wendibird22
07-09-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm guessing boy and they'll named him Charles and call him Charlie. Charles is also the name do Di's brother. Or maybe his middle name would be Spencer to honor his mom.

gatorsmom
07-09-2013, 10:02 PM

I like your name a lot. This woman, who also had your name, had a fascinating life and she quite an impressive collection of jewels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Eugenie_of_Battenberg. She went from being a minor British royal to the Queen of Spain. She is the grandmother of the current king of Spain. just a little trivia for you. :)

Gena
07-09-2013, 10:51 PM
I like your name a lot. This woman, who also had your name, had a fascinating life and she quite an impressive collection of jewels: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Eugenie_of_Battenberg. She went from being a minor British royal to the Queen of Spain. She is the grandmother of the current king of Spain. just a little trivia for you. :)

Thanks. Eugenia/Gena was the name my birthmother gave me. (I learned that in my early 20s.) BirthMom was fascinated by history and royal families. In real life I go by my adoptive name, which is totally different. I like to use my birthname online both for privacy and as a way of honoring my birth heritage. I think it's a fun, cool name. :D

swissair81
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
I can't imagine QEII abdicating. They have yet to get over Edward VIII abdicating. I think she would see it as shirking her duty.

I think Alexandra is a good choice...Princess Ally! Or Princess Sasha. Margaret after the Queen's sister would be good. Margaret, Catherine and Elizabeth are the classic British names, right? All three would be covered in the family!

BTW, I was mistaken, it was Beatrice they wanted to name Annabel, not Eugenie. Do I have to turn in my Anglophile card? ;)

Isn't Anne a classic British royal name too?

jk3
07-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Girl. No name guesses but obviously it will be something traditional.

TwinFoxes
07-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Isn't Anne a classic British royal name too?

I'd say so. Charles's older sister is Anne. She's the Princess Royal, the older sister of the male heir. I guess that title will be retired now that girls/women can be the heir.

kara97210
07-09-2013, 11:48 PM
North West Windsor??

Geez, that would be hilarious! I'm thinking girl too, and Alexandra (which I love) or Charlotte (really, really love). If it is a boy, I think Phillip Charles or James. But if it's North I think Mommylamb should win some sort of BBB prize.

karstmama
07-10-2013, 06:35 AM
charles is oldest, anne is second, then andrew, then edward.

i wonder if the change in inheritance rules would affect the current line of inheritance? like, i wonder if something happened to charles if anne would then inherit? and then would it be her children instead of charles'? hmm...

TwinFoxes
07-10-2013, 07:16 AM

Man, I'm really going to lose my Anglophile card!

MamaMolly
07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

i wonder if the change in inheritance rules would affect the current line of inheritance? like, i wonder if something happened to charles if anne would then inherit? and then would it be her children instead of charles'? hmm...

Ooooh now that is something to think about!

azazela
07-10-2013, 08:02 AM

I don't really know much about this but I doubt that would happen. Otherwise prior to the rules being changed a few years ago, Andrew would have been next in line after Charles and that wasn't the case. I think the firstborn's children continue to be next in line after the firstborn him/herself, with the only thing that changed being that the firstborn girl can also now inherit. Younger siblings continue to be out of luck.

swissair81
07-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Actually, I believe Anne is the oldest. She holds the title Princess Royal, which is only ever given to the older sister of the heir. I could be wrong, but I believe this is the case. I have seen speculation that she will be the last to hold this title because of the change in inheritance laws.

janine
07-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Anne is younger, I think she just looks (and acts) like the oldest!

janine
07-10-2013, 08:33 AM
I don't really know much about this but I doubt that would happen. Otherwise prior to the rules being changed a few years ago, Andrew would have been next in line after Charles and that wasn't the case. I think the firstborn's children continue to be next in line after the firstborn him/herself, with the only thing that changed being that the firstborn girl can also now inherit. Younger siblings continue to be out of luck.

The change in succession lineage only impacts those born after Oct 28, 2011. So yes, I believe timed for Will's first born.

janine
07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
queen victoria's first name (i think first, i know the family called her drina) was alexandrina, so i'd bet on that before alexandra. and i seriously *seriously* doubt that 'diana' would be allowed. actually,'catherine' wouldn't surprise me. so i'll go with 'catherine mary elizabeth moxiecrimefighter'.

Not sure the Queen would overrule Diana as a middle name although she has final say. The Royal Family's popularity hit rock bottom after Di's death, they seemed (particularly the Queen)so incredibly out of touch with the public's connection with Diana. There was talk of eliminating or reducing the monarchy (not seriously but the fact is the degree of respect for them took a dip). The Queen learned quite the lesson after that, started acknolwedging the public's need for outpouring,etc. That combined with the fact that Wills is to be future King and really a big reason there is renewed interest in anything Royal....plus was of course so close to Diana (almost more than a son, a protector and confidante even at such a young age) shifts things a bit. Just my opinion.....gosh now I really can't wait, come on Alexandra Diana! Or my 2nd choice, North West Windsor!

janine
07-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Gena is very nice :), Eugenie is just not my fave royal name (although Eugenia is very pretty)..but truth be told I just have affinity for Annabelle :).

Fairy
07-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Help me out here. I thought that when you abdicated, then you abdicated for your whole line. Edward had no line, it went to his brother, and there you go. But if Charles were to abdicate, then Will and Harry would both be out of it, and it would go to Charles next born brother first, which is Andrew, and THEN his first born and her first born after that. Am I wrong about that? When one abdicates, is it not the entire line and only oneself?

janine
07-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Help me out here. I thought that when you abdicated, then you abdicated for your whole line. Edward had no line, it went to his brother, and there you go. But if Charles were to abdicate, then Will and Harry would both be out of it, and it would go to Charles next born brother first, which is Andrew, and THEN his first born and her first born after that. Am I wrong about that? When one abdicates, is it not the entire line and only oneself?

No there is a clear lineage. An abdication is for themself only (the King/Queen,etc). Edward had no children. If Charles had no children, then would go to Prince Andrew and then Beatrice as he has no sons. Would skip Anne as she was not born after 2011. This is how I understand it. But Charles does have children so next in line is William irregardless.

niccig
07-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Yes, it's the first born's line. Used to be first male born, now first male or female. It used to be Prince Charles then Prince Andrew, when William was born, he bumped Andrew to 3rd, then when Harry was born, Andrew was bumped to 4th. Currently it's Prince Charles (1st), Prince William (2nd), Prince Harry (3rd), Prince Andrew (4th). This child will be after Prince William and be 3rd in line, Prince Harry goes to 4th in line, Prince Andrew goes to 5th in line etc.

niccig
07-10-2013, 01:41 PM
No there is a clear lineage. An abdication is for themself only (the King/Queen,etc). Edward had no children. If Charles had no children, then would go to Prince Andrew and then Beatrice as he has no sons. Would skip Anne as she was not born after 2011. This is how I understand it. But Charles does have children so next in line is William irregardless.

Yes, this is what happened with Edward. He wasn't married, had no kids, so he abdicated and crown when to his younger brother George, George didn't have any sons, so went to his eldest DD, current Queen Elizabeth. Because she has an established line, if she did abdicate, it would go to next in line, her son. I agree with Queen not abdicating for crown to go to Charle's. Her uncle's abdication caused such turmoil, I can't see her doing something similar, even though situation different.

karstmama
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
but beatrice was also born before 2011, so would it then be edward?

janine
07-10-2013, 01:57 PM
No it stops there (with Beatrice). First born son of current monarch, or daughter if no sons (unless born after 2011. If current monarch has no children, then goes on to sibling brother, then sister if no brother. If no sibling...not sure, cousins I believe. But this is why royals must bear a heir AND a spare! ;).

niccig
07-10-2013, 02:08 PM
but beatrice was also born before 2011, so would it then be edward?

No...look here at wikidpedia and they have current line of succession. Beatrice and Eugenie are before Edward. Edward is before Princess Anne and her kids. You have to scroll down to see it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_succession_to_the_British_throne

This baby will go in as 3rd in line and everyone will move down one place.

Fairy
07-10-2013, 02:35 PM
I swear the abdication was for the line. Not that I don't believe you, but I just swear I read this and always "knew" that was it. I have to go read. Ok, interesting! Thanks for setting me straight.

On line of succession, this I know. As of today:

1. Elizabeth
2. Charles
3. Will
4. Will's child (let's say it's here already)
5. Harry
6. Andrew
7. Beatrice
8. Eugenie
9. Edward
10. James
11. Louise
12. Anne

niccig
07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
I swear the abdication was for the line. Not that I don't believe you, but I just swear I read this and always "knew" that was it. I have to go read. Ok, interesting! Thanks for setting me straight.

On line of succession, this I know. As of today:

1. Elizabeth
2. Charles
3. Will
4. Will's child (let's say it's here already)
5. Harry
6. Andrew
7. Beatrice
8. Eugenie
9. Edward
10. James
11. Louise
12. Anne

Elizabeth is on the throne so not in line of succession. Charles is 1st in line of succesion, so move everyone up 1 place.

niccig
07-10-2013, 03:09 PM

You may be reading that when Edward abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson, the Act of Parliament included that NONE of his line would be included in the royal succession. This was so no children of Edward and Wallis could later claim the throne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Majesty%27s_Declaration_of_Abdication_Act_1936

When Queen of Netherlands abdicated, the crown went to her eldest son, so still in her line of descendants. She just wanted to retire!

megs4413
07-10-2013, 03:15 PM
my Londoner friend says it's a girl and the name will be Alexandria (not drina!) So, I feel like that's a pretty safe bet!

TxCat
07-10-2013, 04:14 PM
I voted girl simply based on "folklore" and personal hypotheses about pre-pregnancy weight and gender, including that study a few years ago about eating breakfast regularly seemed to correlate with a higher incidence of male offspring and then subsequent hypotheses that the increase in female birth rates in modern times may be related to increased prevalence of dieting. No clue about whether or not Kate ate breakfast regularly, but she was fairly thin prior to becoming pregnant, so I'm guessing girl.

Names - I think Victoria or Margaret, and possibly Frances as part of the middle name. I think it would be surprising if Queen Elizabeth approved "Diana" as a middle name, given her contentious history with Diana, but Frances may be a reasonable compromise. Alexandra is actually on our short list for names for DD2, but I think I may have to nix it if the new Princess is Alexandra - I'm guessing it will spike in popularity as a result.

swissair81
07-10-2013, 04:24 PM
I hope the Queen would try and be understanding. I mean, Diana was his mother. Vetoing the use of her name in his offspring seems pretty cold and unfeeling towards her grandchild.

gatorsmom
07-10-2013, 07:16 PM
I hope the Queen would try and be understanding. I mean, Diana was his mother. Vetoing the use of her name in his offspring seems pretty cold and unfeeling towards her grandchild.

I'd bet big that Diana will be at least one of her names, but definitely not a first name. QE2 knows full well she needs to keep the public happy with her and the monarchy. And the public loved Diana.

janine
07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
I also am on the side that thinks Diana will be in the name. Just can't see how it can't be with a girl...Frances or Spencer is not enough especially given some of the contention within those families. The Queen and Camilla will cringe, but so be it!

janine
07-11-2013, 08:49 AM
So I am reading that Alexandra is 4:1 favorite with the British bookies. This is making me think they may go a different route and come up with a wildcard name (within the context of Royal names of course, no Jermasty names, lol).

karstmama
07-11-2013, 10:26 AM
oh, ok, i gotcha - because fergie & andrew only *had* girls. :)

this stuff is fascinating.

Fairy
07-11-2013, 11:06 AM
You may be reading that when Edward abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson, the Act of Parliament included that NONE of his line would be included in the royal succession. This was so no children of Edward and Wallis could later claim the throne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/His_Majesty%27s_Declaration_of_Abdication_Act_1936

When Queen of Netherlands abdicated, the crown went to her eldest son, so still in her line of descendants. She just wanted to retire!

OMG, yes!!! I think this is exactly what I was thinking! Thank you, Nicci! This was seriously bugging me, cuz I knew what I knew, I just DID know it. And I couldn't imagine where the heck I went wrong. This was it and where I got it all messed up. Definitely. Thanks :-)

Fairy
07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I voted girl simply based on "folklore" and personal hypotheses about pre-pregnancy weight and gender, including that study a few years ago about eating breakfast regularly seemed to correlate with a higher incidence of male offspring and then subsequent hypotheses that the increase in female birth rates in modern times may be related to increased prevalence of dieting. No clue about whether or not Kate ate breakfast regularly, but she was fairly thin prior to becoming pregnant, so I'm guessing girl.

Names - I think Victoria or Margaret, and possibly Frances as part of the middle name. I think it would be surprising if Queen Elizabeth approved "Diana" as a middle name, given her contentious history with Diana, but Frances may be a reasonable compromise. Alexandra is actually on our short list for names for DD2, but I think I may have to nix it if the new Princess is Alexandra - I'm guessing it will spike in popularity as a result.

Breakfast was a foreign substance to me for years before pregnancy, and my life has been one, huge, enormous diet. I gots me a boy.

Fairy
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I'd bet big that Diana will be at least one of her names, but definitely not a first name. QE2 knows full well she needs to keep the public happy with her and the monarchy. And the public loved Diana.

The more I think about it the more I think this is not that big a long shot after all. I mean, I think it's a crazy long shot for a first name, it just won't happen. QE2 is very cognizant of traditonn and practices it. Takes it very seriously. It won't happen. But being in the middle name somewhere? I can definitely see it now that I think about it more.

niccig
07-11-2013, 12:42 PM
The more I think about it the more I think this is not that big a long shot after all. I mean, I think it's a crazy long shot for a first name, it just won't happen. QE2 is very cognizant of traditonn and practices it. Takes it very seriously. It won't happen. But being in the middle name somewhere? I can definitely see it now that I think about it more.

I agree if it's a girl, Diana will be there somewhere. I think he's very aware of Diana not being there to be part of the milestones of his life - his marriage, birth of his first child etc. William gave Kate his mother's engagement ring. They'll do something to include her in the birth. And I think the Queen will go along with it. She's very aware that William is the future of the monarchy and after all the scandals of Diana-Charles, Fergie-Andrew, she wants her grandkids to be happy. And all of this opinion comes from years of reading about the royals in Australian trashy magazines!

Philly Mom
07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I agree if it's a girl, Diana will be there somewhere. I think he's very aware of Diana not being there to be part of the milestones of his life - his marriage, birth of his first child etc. William gave Kate his mother's engagement ring. They'll do something to include her in the birth. And I think the Queen will go along with it. She's very aware that William is the future of the monarchy and after all the scandals of Diana-Charles, Fergie-Andrew, she wants her grandkids to be happy. And all of this opinion comes from years of reading about the royals in Australian trashy magazines!

I agree with all this. I do think it is funny how focused everyone is on William and Kate and to a lesser extent Harry. William's cousin, Zara, Princess Anne's daughter, just announced her pregnancy and it was not even announced here in the states. I heard about it through rugby outlets because her husband is a former international English rugby player/captain who plays on the club level still.

janine
07-11-2013, 01:28 PM

LOL. I lived in England for years but I have also learned quite a bit from the tabs and Hello! magazine. Also helped me keep up to date on the entertaining Royal Family in Monaco which gets no coverage here in the US (or maybe they've calmed down).

Re: Diana, not so sure I'd say the Queen just wants her grandkids happy, I think it's also somewhat self-serving in that it would assist her evolving legacy (and thus the royal family) and to quash something like name choice that the public adores would be a big step backwards and reinforce perception she is still out of touch. The royal family is only symbolic these days, and a tourist draw. Perception and popularity are intertwined with that whether the Queen likes it or not!

niccig
07-11-2013, 01:35 PM
LOL. I lived in England for years but I have also learned quite a bit from the tabs and Hello! magazine. Also helped me keep up to date on the entertaining Royal Family in Monaco which gets no coverage here in the US (or maybe they've calmed down).

Re: Diana, not so sure I'd say the Queen just wants her grandkids happy, I think it's also somewhat self-serving in that it would assist her evolving legacy (and thus the royal family) and to quash something like name choice that the public adores would be a big step backwards and reinforce perception she is still out of touch. The royal family is only symbolic these days, and a tourist draw. Perception and popularity are intertwined with that whether the Queen likes it or not!

Oh, I agree, the Queen is looking at her legacy too. I do think she wants the next generation to be happier than her own kids (Charles, Andrew, Anne are all divorced). I also think that William has power of his own - I'm sure the Queen and others in the establishment didn't like the idea of him giving Kate his mother's engagement ring. Again, from my trashy magazines, he saw what his mother went through and wants to protect his wife. I think he'll use his own influence too - and in some ways they do need to keep him happy too - he's to be the future king and they know Charles isn't popular.