PDA

View Full Version : Updated! How old is your mattress?

MSWR0319
07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Update:

We burned our new mattress last week and it was so bad, it's no wonder I was waking up sore. The springs were sideways and no longer standing up. Yikes!

How old is your mattress? I am fairly certain we need a new mattress. Ours is only 8 years old but I wake up every morning achy and can't get comfortable at night. I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last, but I feel like it should have lasted longer. There is an obvious sag in the middle of it. FWIW, the thing has been moved 3 times so I don't know if that's somehow affected it's lifespan. I was just curious what the life span of other peoples mattress was. If you've had it a long time and it's still good, what brand is it?

hillview
07-09-2013, 08:03 AM
we have a temperpedic. It is about 10-11 years old. It has been moved 4 times. It still seems great to me.

brittone2
07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Natural latex from Savvy Rest, 7 years, still happy with it.

AngelaS
07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Mine is an 8 yo Select Comfort. It's still fabulous.

Kindra178
07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
5 year old latex from Verlo. Love it.

DietCokeLover
07-09-2013, 08:54 AM
10 years old, not sure of type. It is probably going to need to be replaced in the next year or so.

georgiegirl
07-09-2013, 09:10 AM
The one in the master bedroom is almost 7 years old. It's latex. DH sleeps on it.

The one I sleep on is older, about 11 years old. It's fine...better than the twin mattresses the kids sleep on.

TwoBees
07-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Our new memory foam mattress is 1 year old. Our previous innterspring mattress was about 7 years old when we replaced it.

AnnieW625
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
We have a hybrid coil/memory foam/latex mattress (individually wrapped coils, followed by latex, and then a layer of memory foam). It is a Diamond Mattress, which are locally made to us. It is 6 months old.

Our prior traditional Spring Air mattress was almost 12 yrs. old.

Bryan mom
07-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Mattress 1 lasted 4 years 10 months.
Mattress 2 lasted 5 years 9 months.
We're on our third mattress now bought earlier this year.

Neatfreak
07-09-2013, 10:54 AM
A Serta PerfectSleeper (or some name like that - regular spring coils) that's ten years old. We've moved with it three times now, and it still honestly feels the same as it ever did.

I am worried that it's giving me unrealistic expectations for all future mattresses!

Snow mom
07-09-2013, 10:58 AM
The mattress which we were sleeping on prior to moving is 12 years old. We moved that to DDs room and are now sleeping on a mattress I bought from a friend which was previously in our guest room. No idea how old it is but I'd guess similar as I've had it 5+ years.

ilfaith
07-09-2013, 11:07 AM
The mattress we are currently using is about 10 years old...but for most of that time it was in our seldom-used guest room.

Our other 10-year-old mattress is in DS1's bedroom. It was a better mattress when we purchased it, but has been slept on regularly (first by DH and I and for the past year by DS1) for the past decade.

DS2 actually has the most comfortable mattress in the house. I keep telling DH we ought to switch with DS2 one day while he is at camp or school (although that would entail dragging one queen-size mattress down the stairs and then schlepping ours back up the stairs). This mattress was from our NYC apartment, is about seven years old, and was used only a few weeks out of the year until we brought it down to Florida.

The mattresses in DS3's room are each about seven years old, but the twin on the top bunk has hardly been slept on.

BabbyO
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Our mattress in an inner spring from verlo. We've had it and used it every night (basically) for 9 years. Its been moved 1x. We do try to flip it as recommended. It usually gets flipped 2-3x/yr (I think it is recommended every 3 mo).

I don't think we have any intention of replacing it yet...it is doing fine!

YouAreTheFocus
07-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Hmm, ours is 12 years old! I still find it very comfortable and we sleep great every night. But aren't they supposed to be replaced every 10 years? I don't know if I'm willing to give it up...

KrisM
07-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Ours is 16 years old. It seems fine still. No big complaints on comfort. I flip/rotate it still.

gymnbomb
07-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Current mattress is almost 3 years old. Previous one (that is now in our guest room) was about 8 years old when we moved it out of our room. This was partly because it was starting to sag just a little in the middle, but mostly because it was a double I'd bought in college that was fine for just me, but to share with DH we definitely needed a queen!

SnuggleBuggles
07-09-2013, 01:20 PM
14yo- Tempurpedic. According to the Tempurpedic warranty, it should last 20 years...provided we change box springs/ support every 2 years (which we don't do). We did rotate the support and it made a world of difference!

BabbyO
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Interesting - this got me thinking. According to the Better Sleep council mattresses should be considered for replacement if they are older than 7 yrs. http://bettersleep.org/mattresses-and-more/caring-for-a-mattress/replacing-a-mattress

brittone2
07-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I think this really varies though. There have been a lot of posts in recent years about the quality of mattresses deteriorating signficantly. People here have had problems with their newer mattress in a much shorter period of time than with their previous mattresses.

Natural latex is supposed to hold up for about 20 years. We are on year 7 and no sagging yet. No rotating either, because the nature of the material is that it isn't required.

almostmom
07-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Our CA Sleepworks coil and foam mattress is probably 13 years old and still amazing. The best mattress I've ever slept on. It made a rocky move across country years ago - no issues.

mytwosons
07-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Our mattress is about 18 years old and is doing just fine. We do rotate and flip it several times per year. I think the warranty was for 20 or 25 years.

specialp
07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Ours is probably 12 years old and is great. I dread ever having to get a new one b/c of the posts I've read on here about newer ones and it because it took us forever to find one we both agreed on.

MSWR0319
07-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Interesting - this got me thinking. According to the Better Sleep council mattresses should be considered for replacement if they are older than 7 yrs. http://bettersleep.org/mattresses-and-more/caring-for-a-mattress/replacing-a-mattress

Thanks. This makes me feel a bit better that ours needs replaced. I just really thought it would last longer.

lizzywednesday
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Ours is 6 and needs replacing (springs are popping out & there's major sagging.)

Tondi G
07-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Our mattress is a Stearns and Foster. We have had it for 8 years. It has impressions (and is a firm so it's not just the pillowtop having indentations). It is not a flipable mattress ... one sided. We tried rotating but then I just get to sleep in DH's impression. We need a new mattress. We are thinking of going with an Ikea mattress because they are less expensive than the regular mattress store so if we end up needing to replace it in another 6 to 8 yrs it won't hurt as much!

Indianamom2
07-09-2013, 03:50 PM
One is 13 years old. The other is 9 years old. We switch out the master and guest mattress once in a while. I think it's time for a new one.

LD92599
07-28-2013, 08:25 AM
We're on 14 years, spring air, but it seems its time for a new one. We noticed indentations plus i flip around all. Night!

mypa
07-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Ours is 14 yrs old and still going strong, its a Simmons Beautyrest and at the time was one of their most expensive lines but after going through 2 cheap mattresses in 6-7 yrs we splurged on this heavy-duty mattress and we've been very happy it. I think it still looks like new.

ZeeBaby
07-28-2013, 05:45 PM
We have a Simmons beauty rest as well. It is 9 years old. I love it, but DH is not as thrilled with it. We went with a pillow top and he complains it is too soft. Works for me though.

longtallsally05
07-29-2013, 04:01 PM
DH and I have a 10 year-old Tempurpedic. We've moved 4 times and it is still in great shape, except for one of side of the box springs, which seems to have been squashed in the last move. DD has a not quite four year-old Sealy posturepedic pillowtop that was pretty pricy and has only been moved once, but I don't like it and I wouldn't buy it again. It just doesn't seem as supportive as it used to, and the pillowtop isn't as cushiony as it used to be. We'd have bought her a Tempurpedic if we'd had the money. We just bought DS this mattress: http://www.costco.com/Novaform%c2%ae-14%22-Gel-Memory-Foam-Twin-Mattress.product.100027013.html. It seems great so far, but time will tell!

A1icia
07-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Somehow I've never thought about it. We got it soon after buying our house - which was in the fall of 2001.

Eeek! It is almost 12 YEARS OLD.

Now I'm thinking that it might be time to replace it. On the other hand, it seems okay. Wondering how to tell. I will be researching this...

How did others decide it was time to replace?

TxCat
07-29-2013, 09:17 PM
We have a Simmons Beautyrest that we purchased about 3 years ago exactly when we made the change from a queen to a king-sized bed. Our previous queen-sized mattress is in the guest room now - it's also a Simmons Beautyrest and I think it's about 14 years old. I think as long as it stays in the guest room, we'll keep it for a few more years. It still seems incredibly comfortable to me.

AustenFan
07-30-2013, 12:40 AM
We just replaced ours after 8 years and five moves. The moves were a big deal, according to the guy at the mattress store. He told us (take with a grain of salt, of course) that cheaper mattresses (even well known brands who sell cheaper models at places like Costco) are only made to last 3-5 years now. The new mattress is a Sealy Posturpedic, bought in November, and already sagging. I'm incredibly frustrated. I wake up with a sore back every morning now. It's too late to return for the warranty, and we can't afford another $800 mattress set any time soon. Next time I'm either going to go with one of the super expensive ones or a super cheap one that I know I'll just replace every year or two. =(

liz
07-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Ours is a 13 yo Sealy bought from a furniture store. A no frills firm mattress that has held up great until this year. We both notice indentions and that it feels too soft. I wasn't really thinking about buying a new mattress this year, but we may have to do it. I am not looking forward to it, it such a hard decision! Sometimes DH jokingly refers to me as the "princess and the pea" where I find one bed is too soft, too hard etc- I notice this when I am on vacation sleeping on different matresses.

carolinacool
07-30-2013, 11:11 AM
We have a innerspring that we probably got 12 or so years ago. It wasn't one of the big brand names. It still sleeps fine to me. DH occasionally says his back hurts, so I guess we should start looking, however:

I think this really varies though. There have been a lot of posts in recent years about the quality of mattresses deteriorating signficantly. People here have had problems with their newer mattress in a much shorter period of time than with their previous mattresses.

This is a big worry of mine.