PDA

View Full Version : Biological Basis for Sensory Processing Disorder

avd3875
07-10-2013, 02:08 AM
I know a number of parents here have kids with SPD. Thought I'd pass along this study which has some very significant findings.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/07/107316/breakthrough-study-reveals-biological-basis-sensory-processing-disorders-kidsi?utm_source=July+2013&utm_campaign=July13All&utm_medium=email

gatorsmom
07-10-2013, 03:34 AM
I know a number of parents here have kids with SPD. Thought I'd pass along this study which has some very significant findings.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/07/107316/breakthrough-study-reveals-biological-basis-sensory-processing-disorders-kidsi?utm_source=July+2013&utm_campaign=July13All&utm_medium=email

Thank you for this. It's very interesting and gives me hope.

MSWR0319
07-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Thank you! DS is almost 5 and his sensory issues seem to be affecting the family more and more every day. I just told DH it's time we head to the doctor and I'm afraid they're going to brush it off or something.

gatorsmom
07-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Thank you! DS is almost 5 and his sensory issues seem to be affecting the family more and more every day. I just told DH it's time we head to the doctor and I'm afraid they're going to brush it off or something.

I hope not for your family's sake but everyone brushes off Greenbean. All I ever hear is "oh, he's not that bad.". As if that is an acceptable reason not to help him.

Melbel
07-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Interesting article. Thank you for posting. White matter lesions/irregularities are very prevalent with Lyme Disease, as well as each of the symptoms of SPD. My son had many symptoms of SPD before his diagnosis and treatment. Based upon our experience and considerable research, I personally believe that any child with a SPD diagnosis should be screened for Lyme Disease using more reliable testing methods (the CDC's two tier approach misses about 1/2 of actual cases pursuant to numerous peer reviewed studies). Not all SPD is Lyme Disease, but it should be considered as part of the differential diagnosis, along with other underlying infections (i.e. Bartonella can cause many of the same neurological symptoms as Lyme Disease, including SPD symptoms).

Due to testing unreliability, most Lyme Literate Medical Doctors (LLMDs) advise patients to skip the initial Lyme Disease ELISA screen, and instead start with the confirmatory test, the Western Blot. Many prefer to have a Western Blot through the lab iGeneX (www.iGeneX.com) for three reasons: (1) iGeneX tests for multiple strains of Borrelia Burgdorferi (Bb), the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease (commercial labs such as Labcorp and Quest only test for a single strain of Bb); (2) IGeneX also considers additional highly relevant bands 31 and 34 (assuming you did not have the Lyme vaccine that was briefly on the market); and (3) iGeneX reveals intensity for specific bands (not present, equivocal, low, medium and high).

Western Blot test results will include both IgG and IgM assays. It is critically important that one not look at the NEGATIVE or POSITIVE summary result of the Western Blot test. Instead, it is important to carefully consider Lyme-specific bands (those bands that represent evidence of serological exposure to Bb). Many Lyme doctors believe that a single Lyme-specific band, along with clinical presentation, is sufficient to diagnose Lyme Disease (with an acknowledged 3% false positive rate). Likewise, in China, a single positive IgG band coupled with a single IgM band is considered to be a positive Western Blot. In comparison, the CDC’s surveillance criteria require a total of seven (7) positive bands (some of which are illogical); iGeneX requires a total of four (4) positive bands. The following bands are generally considered to be Lyme-specific: 22-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 35, 37, 39, 66, 83 and 93.

However, to at least rule out Lyme, it is critical to consult with a knowledgeable doctor. To find a LLMD, doctor referrals are available through Lyme Disease support groups in your state, as well as www.lymedisease.org (http://www.lymedisease.org), www.ilads.org, http://tbdalliance.org/treatment/find-a-medical-professional, www.lymenet.org, and www.lymediseaseassociation.org.