PDA

View Full Version : Pls help-school supplies newbie needs hand holding/price checks

corrie23
07-10-2013, 06:25 PM
I keep seeing all of the school supplies bargain posts and am feeling overwhelmed (and stupid). My DD (5th grade) is starting public school this fall after attending a small private school up until now. At the old school, the students did not use traditionally available school supplies, and the school provided all needed materials (we pay a supplies fee). Now I have a BTS school supplies list and I have no idea what some of these items are, what typically goes on sale for BTS, or what are good prices. I've listed what she needs that we don't yet have below and would really appreciate input on if items are likely to go on sale soon or not and what is historically a good price so I can keep my eye out on all these great bargain threads.

Thanks!

black felt tip (flair) marker
dry erase markers-fine point
#2 pencils (can these be mechanical or must they be wood?)
12 ct. colored markers-(do 5th graders use fine or broad markers?-don't want to get the wrong thing)
wide ruled spiral notebooks (I see some are on sale for 20 cents on the Office Max thread (limit 2), but they also have Poly covered ones are on sale for $2 with coupon. Should I be springing for Poly covered ones? She needs 4 of them.)
wide ruled loose notebook paper
8x5x2" school box or pouch of equivalent size
accordion file with 10 pockets min.
pocket folder
large eraser
backpack (do you think a rolling backpack is okay? I got her one from the GH sale when the lunchboxes were free, but I don't know if any schools have some weird anti rolling backpack policy or anything)

mom2binsd
07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
#2 pencils are wood, not mechanical
I'd just get the regular spiral notebooks
My soon to be 5th grader will have a regular backpack, she walks to school so a rolling one wouldn't work, check with the school, some like them some don't
I'd wait a bit for the big sales, I try to get them all at one spot, running around to multiple stores to save .50 wastes money and time.
12 markers will be fine point probably, our list specifiies exactly and even will say "traditional vs pastel"
almost all teachers want crayola brand markers/crayons/colored pencils etc.

Green_Tea
07-10-2013, 10:49 PM
I'd skip a rolling backpack. 5th graders typically wear their backpacks on their backs/over their shoulder in crowded hallways/classrooms/stairwells, and rolling backpacks are much heavier. I'd go for something that will transition well to middle school, like a Jansport.

I'd actually go for the poly covered notebooks - regular notebooks get SHREDDED in 5th grade desks!

ETA: Figure out what the most expensive item on your list is, and shop a sale based on that. I love a bargain as much as the next BBBer, but I don't think school supplies are THAT expensive at this time of year, and think running to a dozen different stores to score .10 glue sticks and half price pencils is a little over the top. Everything will be cheap at Target and Walmart come August.

KrisM
07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
#2 pencils are wood, not mechanical
I'd just get the regular spiral notebooks
My soon to be 5th grader will have a regular backpack, she walks to school so a rolling one wouldn't work, check with the school, some like them some don't
I'd wait a bit for the big sales, I try to get them all at one spot, running around to multiple stores to save .50 wastes money and time.
12 markers will be fine point probably, our list specifiies exactly and even will say "traditional vs pastel"
almost all teachers want crayola brand markers/crayons/colored pencils etc.

I agree with most of this. We buy mechanical pencils though. They're just easier. I like the .9mm pencils, because they don't break as easily.

mominct2004
07-10-2013, 11:37 PM
You might want to check with the school or teacher about whether supplies are shared or for your child's use. I bought nice poly folders/notebooks our first year only to have my child come home using a cheap paper folders some other parent bought! Guess someone else got the ones I bought. Also, if for your own child, you have more leeway about mechanical vs wooden pencils, etc. Our school usually wants ticonderoga sharpened #2 pencils only.

TwinFoxes
07-10-2013, 11:42 PM
You might want to check with the school or teacher about whether supplies are shared or for your child's use.
:yeahthat: Our list specifically says everything is to be shared, except for their backpacks and smocks. Which is kind of crazy because we have to supply headphones. That seems like something they could label and let the kids keep their own.

div_0305
07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
:yeahthat: Our list specifically says everything is to be shared, except for their backpacks and smocks. Which is kind of crazy because we have to supply headphones. That seems like something they could label and let the kids keep their own.

That is just plain gross about the headphones! Maybe you could suggest it or request that your child only use the ones you buy for hygiene reasons. Isn't that one of the most common ways lice can be spread?

KrisM
07-11-2013, 12:03 AM
You might want to check with the school or teacher about whether supplies are shared or for your child's use. I bought nice poly folders/notebooks our first year only to have my child come home using a cheap paper folders some other parent bought! Guess someone else got the ones I bought. Also, if for your own child, you have more leeway about mechanical vs wooden pencils, etc. Our school usually wants ticonderoga sharpened #2 pencils only.

I've found there is less sharing as they get older. I don't think any of DS1's 3rd grade supplies were shared, except Post Its, cleaning stuff, etc. But, we sent in labeled scissors, folders, comp books, etc.

mominct2004
07-11-2013, 12:16 AM
We send in earbuds as well and I was grossed out by the thought of shared earbuds. I labelled my son's earbuds and he said everyone used their own. He's going into 4th grade and most of our list is still shared. I do sometimes just write his name on stuff so I know he gets what I purchase.

Corie
07-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I agree with most of this. We buy mechanical pencils though. They're just easier. I like the .9mm pencils, because they don't break as easily.

I buy my kids the mechanical pencils too. I got my 6th grade daughter the .7mm size and I bought my 3rd grade son the .9mm size.

There is a GREAT deal on PaperMate Clearpoint Mechanical Pencil starter sets at Office Max right now. These sets are normally $6-7
but they are on sale at Office Max this week for only $1.

I read the sales ad circulars every Sunday and I've only ever seen these mechanical pencils go on sale once at Office Max. So I stock up!

KrisM
07-11-2013, 08:40 AM
I buy my kids the mechanical pencils too. I got my 6th grade daughter the .7mm size and I bought my 3rd grade son the .9mm size.

There is a GREAT deal on PaperMate Clearpoint Mechanical Pencil starter sets at Office Max right now. These sets are normally $6-7
but they are on sale at Office Max this week for only $1.

I read the sales ad circulars every Sunday and I've only ever seen these mechanical pencils go on sale once at Office Max. So I stock up!

Thanks! We are actually going to be near one and I'll take a look!

Kindra178
07-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Rolling backpacks sometimes don't fit in traditional elementary school lockers. There are lots of past backpack posts, and sales posted often (ha and le on sale this week). I suspect fifth graders need something on the large side.

As to supplies, you can search the sales posted on here and buy in pieces, if the stores are convenient. I tend to stick with Target or office Max, because those are convenient.

Poly folders and notebooks tend to make it through the whole year without falling apart.

Corie
07-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks! We are actually going to be near one and I'll take a look!

You will need to print the coupon from their flyer. It's on page 2.

KrisM
07-11-2013, 12:36 PM
You will need to print the coupon from their flyer. It's on page 2.

I didn't see this soon enough. They weren't marked, so I asked the cashier who said it was a coupon and scanned hers. Thank you!

Corie
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
so I asked the cashier who said it was a coupon and scanned hers. Thank you!

Awesome!!! How many sets did you buy??

AJP
07-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Check out http://www.passionforsavings.com/back-to-school/ they have a list with common supplies and their price, buy price and stockpile price. It's great for knowing when a "sale" is really a sale.

Simon
07-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Most of the schools in our district do not allow rolling backpacks, so its a distinct possibility that it won't be okay. In our case, its because they don't fit well in the lockers, they are heavy to carry, and kids tend not to pay attention to what they are pulling behind them so they make a tripping hazard in the very busy hallways.

As for the rest, I'd go with the less expensive items. Around here, lots of things are collected and then redistributed. We even had pre-labeled notebooks with Ds' name, they were left over from another year and I figured it couldn't really matter, but we still ended up with different supplies. So someone else had notebooks with Ds' name on them. Granted, we aren't in 5th yet, but I only buy with the thought that it could all end up with someone else.

I also stocked up on a few things I thought they might need to refresh mid-year (pencils, glue sticks) and then sent them in to the teacher in March.

KrisM
07-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Awesome!!! How many sets did you buy??

I bought 3 sets. She told me I could only get one per transaction, so I had to do it 3 times (at her suggestion).

I saw them at Meijer last night. They are regular $4..99 on sale for $3.49. Obviously $1 is better, but thought I'd put their regular price out there since it's under OM's price.

Corie
07-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I saw them at Meijer last night. They are regular $4..99 on sale for $3.49. Obviously $1 is better, but thought I'd put their regular price out there since it's under OM's price.

I saw them at CVS but it was only one mechanical pencil, not two. The cost was $5.99. But I think CVS has very high prices.

That sale price at Meijer isn't bad. But you're right, $1 is better. :)

snowbunnies300
07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
The link below is a popular blogger from my area. She and several other bloggers have compiled a list of school supply deals. Looks like they will update the list weekly until Labor Day weekend.
http://www.pocketyourdollars.com/2013/07/school-supply-deals-77-71313/

ZeeBaby
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Also a K newbie. What size hand san should we get? Do you get the pocket size or the 10 oz pump

Staraglimmer
07-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Also a K newbie. What size hand san should we get? Do you get the pocket size or the 10 oz pump

I would get the pump.

ZeeBaby
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
Ok thanks.

KrisM
07-13-2013, 10:08 PM

We do the pump for classroom supplies and a pocket size in the lunch box.

emily
07-18-2013, 02:24 PM
My school supply list!
We need 2 boxes of baby wipes. What does this mean? 2 cases? How many per case? or just 2 packages?

Also, 2 sets of markers. So regular thick 8 pack of Crayola?

Thank you.

KrisM
07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
My school supply list!
We need 2 boxes of baby wipes. What does this mean? 2 cases? How many per case? or just 2 packages?

Also, 2 sets of markers. So regular thick 8 pack of Crayola?

Thank you.

I buy 2 regular boxes of wipes. The kind in the plastic case with the pop up center that lets one come out at a time. $2 or so each?

I have always bought the thin markers, but ours says thin. They seem to color with crayons and write with markers.

rlu
07-18-2013, 05:33 PM

Pump for the classroom and if you see a good price get two. Sanitizer, wipes, facial tissue and copy paper always get second requests in the spring at our school.