PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new phone - help me pick

KrisM
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Please!

We have Verizon and I have an HTC Incredible from very early 2011. I like it, but it's really acting up lately. I randomly lose all my contacts, photos, texts, etc and then if I reboot, they all return. At times, it just reboots for 5 min over and over again.

It seems like all the phones now are huge. I don't think they'll fit in my purse. I can't imagine putting them in my pocket if we're out in the yard or something. Are there any smaller phones out there? If not, what would you get if you were buying today or soon?

jerseygirl07067
07-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Please!

We have Verizon and I have an HTC Incredible from very early 2011. I like it, but it's really acting up lately. I randomly lose all my contacts, photos, texts, etc and then if I reboot, they all return. At times, it just reboots for 5 min over and over again.

It seems like all the phones now are huge. I don't think they'll fit in my purse. I can't imagine putting them in my pocket if we're out in the yard or something. Are there any smaller phones out there? If not, what would you get if you were buying today or soon?

I have the HTC One X and really like it, but it is big, same size as the Samsung Galaxy 2,3, and 4. If you want something slight smaller the Iphone is just as long but more narrow. But you'd have to get all new chargers and such, since you'd be changing from android (I'm an android fan personally) I want to say there are a few Motorola android phones that are a bit smaller, and some of them have really long battery life, iirc, I just can't remember the names. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

KrisM
07-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I should say that I don't want an iphone.

jerseygirl07067
07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
I did have a Samsung Galaxy Exhibit through work and loved the size. Smaller and fits in the hand well. However, it is a more low/mid end smartphone, and probably doesn't have the features of a lot of the new ones out, but depending on what you use it for, it may work for you. It was that particular smartphone that made me want to finally arrive in the 21st century and get my own, lol....

Liziz
07-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S4. I love it, but it is huge. I do have problems just putting it in my pocket....doesn't fit in front pocket, and if I try to put it in my butt pocket, it sticks out at the top a lot and I'm afraid it will fall out. (All that being said I have no regrets and am very glad I got it). My parents both have Droid Razr M's. They aren't major smartphone users (don't do tons of apps, etc.), but both have been very happy with them and recommended those phones. They're definitely on the smaller side for the current android smartphone crowd. (and as a plus, I think it's "free" right now too if you update your contract)

AnnieW625
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
The Motorola M I believe is smaller than the Samsung phones.
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/DROID-RAZR-M-BY-MOTOROLA/m-DROID-RAZR-M,en_US,pd.html

KrisM
07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
The Razr M look promising. I'm not a huge app user, but like having email, internet, etc when I'm waiting for some kid to do something :). Thanks both for pointing that one out.

Jen841
07-11-2013, 07:21 AM
DH has the Galaxy 4 (work bought) and I have the 3 (refuse to spend over 100). Love them both!

KrisM
07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
DH has the Galaxy 4 (work bought) and I have the 3 (refuse to spend over 100). Love them both!

Are those the same as the S4 and S3 or something different? I really don't know how I'd carry the S3 or S4 around. I'd have to find a new purse that I like as well :).

TwoBees
07-11-2013, 08:05 AM

This is why I recently swapped my HTC Incredible 2 for an iPhone 5. :heartbeat:

KrisM
07-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Well, then I'd probably be divorced and disowned :)

TwoBees
07-11-2013, 08:36 AM

For some reason, none of the replies appeared when I sent my reply, so I didn't see that you don't want an iPhone. Sorry!

TwoBees
07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Well, then I'd probably be divorced and disowned :)

See my more recent post. :)

Maybe you want to look at the Galaxy SIII? It's smaller than the S4.

KrisM
07-11-2013, 08:39 AM
For some reason, none of the replies appeared when I sent my reply, so I didn't see that you don't want an iPhone. Sorry!

No problem!

I should actually look into the iphone, but I know my DH and family would just struggle with it. But, hey most were against getting a Honda and I drive that now.

TwoBees
07-11-2013, 08:44 AM
No problem!

I should actually look into the iphone, but I know my DH and family would just struggle with it. But, hey most were against getting a Honda and I drive that now.

LOL! I drive a Honda too!

DH was (and still is) against the iPhone, mostly because "it's not a business phone." I could care less. I don't use my phone for business. I also feel he's incorrect, but that's another matter. The iPhone 5 fits perfectly in my hand, has nearly everything I want, can do nearly everything my DInc2 could and some things it couldn't, and doesn't do more than I want it to. So I'm happy. :)

FYI though, if you get the Assurion insurance though Verizon, it's a little more for the iPhone than for Android phones, $9.99 vs $6.99 I think. Verizon will also have to switch your data plan specifications from an Android plan to an Apple plan, but that does not affect your unlimited data if you have it (maybe it has something to do with how the data is routed? Not sure).

chozen
07-11-2013, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=TwoBees;3828197]LOL! I drive a Honda too!

DH was (and still is) against the iPhone, mostly because "it's not a business phone." I could care less. I don't use my phone for business. I also feel he's incorrect, but that's another matter. The iPhone 5 fits perfectly in my hand, has nearly everything I want, can do nearly everything my DInc2 could and some things it couldn't, and doesn't do more than I want it to. So I'm happy. :)

FYI though, if you get the Assurion insurance though Verizon, it's a little more for the iPhone than for Android phones, $9.99 vs $6.99 I think. Verizon will also have to switch your data plan specifications from an Android plan to an Apple plan, but that does not affect your unlimited data if you have it (maybe it has something to do with how the data is routed?

Can you tell me what your iPhone doesn't do that you wished it would?

vludmilla
07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I love it. Prior to this phone I had a smaller Android smart phone and it was too small to be useful. I also had an iPhone before that and was not impressed with it. The S3 is the best phone by far. It easily slips into a pocket of my pocketbook. You must carry a super tiny bag!

Jacksmommy2b
07-11-2013, 10:31 AM
The htc one is the newest htc and much smaller than a Samsung!

I had the htc one, a Samsung 2 and 3 and an iphone5.

The Samsung 3 is a great phone, but I found it huge and really hard to hold!

TwoBees
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Can you tell me what your iPhone doesn't do that you wished it would?

One thing is that you can't set an alarm to vibrate only. You can have it vibrate with sound, but not without. I suppose I could create a "silent" ringtone, but this feature should be native to the OS. Also, I wish I could access frequently used settings, such as WiFi, from the top dropdown menu. Apparently that is coming with the new software release though. I also wish that I could more easily jump between screens, like I could on the Incredible. That's a minor thing though. And setting speed dials is harder.

I don't think the HTC One is available on Verizon. :( ATT gets the cooler phones faster.

arivecchi
07-11-2013, 10:56 AM
I had a droid and finally gave up and got an iPhone 5 (two days ago!). Love it so far. It just works really well. My SIL has a pretty new galaxy and is already having issues. Besides they are huge. The size of the iPhone 5 is perfect. I love the way better keyboard!

KrisM
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I love it. Prior to this phone I had a smaller Android smart phone and it was too small to be useful. I also had an iPhone before that and was not impressed with it. The S3 is the best phone by far. It easily slips into a pocket of my pocketbook. You must carry a super tiny bag!

I stopped at the Verizon store last night. Turns out they do fit in my purse :). I use a Ju Ju Be Major wristlet. I didn't think it would fit, but it slid right in. I tried the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Those are virtually the same size though.

HTC One: 5.41" x 2.69"
Samsung Galaxy S3: 5.37" x 2.78"

It must be something with out they feel or something that makes it easier for you to hold the One than the S3.

I found a few sites saying the HTC One is coming to Verizon on August 1. I'm not in a hurry, so I could wait on that.

When I was at the store yesterday, the LG Lucid 2 looked nice. It was about the size of my Droid Incredible. I don't know anything about it really.