PDA

View Full Version : Remember my awesome fridge?

zukeypur
07-11-2013, 12:30 AM
It won't fit in my new house. :(. The fridge space is 67.75 inches, and the fridge is 68.25 inches tall. I'm so bummed. There's no lip on the bottom of the cabinet to cut off, so I would have to either remove the cabinet completely or somehow remove 1 inch from the bottom. Here's a picture.3244
The good thing is that the buyers of my current house really wanted the fridge, so maybe they'll buy it from me. Any recommendations?

Jen841
07-11-2013, 07:19 AM
All and buy one that fits. I just had to buy based on size....and tore out a cabinet.

KrisM
07-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Hire a carpenter to make the fridge over the cabinet smaller. My dad is a woodworker and he did that to theirs. Made a new door to match what they had and you can't tell at all.

liz
07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
I would do whatever I could to keep the fridge. You will get more use out of the fridge than those (usually) hard to reach cabinets. gl.

oops, just saw the part about buyers for your fridge, that's a great option (unless you are losing a lot of money on the transaction). I will say that the size of fridge's have changed over time and we had no choice but to modify our countertops to fit in a new refrigerator. Otherwise, I was going to be stuck with something that was going to be too small for my family of 5. All this to say, make sure that you can find a fridge that will fit your new house/budget before you sell the current one.

sarahsthreads
07-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Honestly, for the number of times I've even *opened* the cabinets over the fridge since we bought our house 14 years ago? I'd just say keep the fridge you love and get rid of the cabinets. Put a nice basket or something decorative up there and be done with it. (Or, do what we do, and make the top of the fridge the "toy time out" spot. Because it's so attractive and a great conversation piece when guests come over. ;) )

Sarah :)

zukeypur
07-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I think we will be going with the "tear out or modify the cabinet" option. The only thing above my refrigerator now are the cookbooks I never use. I think I could sell it for almost exactly what I could buy a new one for, but I love every thing about that fridge.

KHF
07-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Could you just move those two cabinets above the fridge up? i've seen a lot of kitchens with cabinets at differing heights. When I bought a fridge that was too big for my last house, we had to move the top cabinets over (one side was just the wall) and cut the bottom cabinet by about 2 inches. Thankfully, we had laminate countertops, so we just cut a piece off of those as well. My dad does woodworking, so he cut down the bottom cabinet for us. He even altered the drawer and the door, so we didn't have to buy anything new!

AnnieW625
07-11-2013, 09:45 AM
May I ask what brand of fridge that is? I am not 100% sold on SBS or French door so I would love the traditional style fridge.

willow33
07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
May I ask what brand of fridge that is? I am not 100% sold on SBS or French door so I would love the traditional style fridge.

I'd love to know too!

BunnyBee
07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Sell and buy another one. It inevitably will get dinged up in the move.

BabbyO
07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Honestly, for the number of times I've even *opened* the cabinets over the fridge since we bought our house 14 years ago? I'd just say keep the fridge you love and get rid of the cabinets. Put a nice basket or something decorative up there and be done with it. (Or, do what we do, and make the top of the fridge the "toy time out" spot. Because it's so attractive and a great conversation piece when guests come over. ;) )

Sarah :)

OMGoodness! That is our toy timeout spot too! I agree, pull the cabinets or get a carpenter to modify/rebuilt over the fridge. I HATE getting into our cabinet over the fridge.

zukeypur
07-11-2013, 11:36 AM
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answers/3545/product/9790988/samsung-28-0-cu-ft-french-door-refrigerator-stainless-steel-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recenta

AnnieW625
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/answers/3545/product/9790988/samsung-28-0-cu-ft-french-door-refrigerator-stainless-steel-questions-answers/questions.htm?sort=recenta

Okay so the fridge in the photo wasn't the fridge you were talking about then? I was more interested in that, but good luck figuring out your dilemma.

zukeypur
07-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Oh no, sorry. That is not an awesome fridge. That is an old school fridge owned by the current owners of the house. The pic was poorly described; I included it so you could see the size of the hole and the cabinets in question.

Kestrel
07-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Our Fridge wouldn't fit in the new house, either. We took off the feet!

If you love it that much, can you afford to keep it as a second fridge in the garage, and buy one that fits?

Snow mom
07-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Oh no, sorry. That is not an awesome fridge. That is an old school fridge owned by the current owners of the house. The pic was poorly described; I included it so you could see the size of the hole and the cabinets in question.
I was way too relieved to see that wasn't the fridge you were raving over. I think I've been looking at too many real estate pictures.

zukeypur
07-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Haha. Meeeee too. I'm so glad we lucked into this house. I keep getting Zillow updates and ther has been nothing new on the market.