PDA

View Full Version : What boxes do you keep? (For household items, baby stuff, etc.)

AngB
07-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Our basement has way too many boxes but I am bad about getting rid of them because I always feel like I may "need" it. I know when we move, they like to use the original electronics boxes for tv's. But is there really any good reason for me to keep the box for my car seats, infant swing, other baby gear, etc?

Thanks!

hillview
07-11-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't keep any thing like that

specialp
07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
The only boxes I keep are ones that hold something unusually shaped that I am not ready to get rid of. I did keep the box for the baby swing and the bucket seat - I wouldn't have any other way to store them in the attic free from dust and am not sure I am done with them.

KrisM
07-11-2013, 01:57 PM
We keep very little. I did keep my Baby Jogger box in case I needed to ship it when I sold it. Otherwise, I get rid of most things. But, we have no plans to move, so storing boxes in case that changes seems silly.

Philly Mom
07-11-2013, 01:58 PM
We don't keep any boxes. If we need to store something (i.e. car seat, baby swing), we wrap in large garbage bags. When we have moved, the movers wrap the TV in blankets. We have moved with our tvs twice, and they were always fine.

baymom
07-11-2013, 03:02 PM
I used to for years. We don't have a basement, but we have a loft in the garage and I'd stick them up there 'just in case' I needed them and then completely forget about them. A few years ago, I just recycled 90% of the empty boxes. I figured we didn't need the clutter and when we do move, I'll deal with it then. I love having all the extra space in the loft!

Melaine
07-11-2013, 03:06 PM
I have quit keeping boxes except like the huge TV box with styrofoam in case of moving

abh5e8
07-11-2013, 03:23 PM
i agree with the others...let the boxes go!!! we moved recently and plan to move again in 1-2 years and the only boxes i kept are for our TV and computer monitor, both with the foam inserts. oh, and the box that my medela hospital came in, as i do plan to resell it at some point. we even passed on all our moving boxes. (or composted them), as I found they seem to attract bugs, even out in the garages.

citymama
07-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I only keep boxes of things I want to re-sell in like new condition - which is not a lot of things.

Snow mom
07-11-2013, 09:34 PM
I was really thankful to have my TV box when we moved recently. We're DIY movers though. Right now my basement is full of more boxes than I care to admit. We'll move again in the next year and have plenty of room down there for them so I'm just keeping everything, including the variously good condition, good size boxes that I receive packages in. My general rule for original boxes though is if it takes a lot of disassembly to get back in the box I don't need the box. For example, my vacuum is oddly shaped but there's simply no way I'm going to disassemble it and stash all the pieces in a box for moving so I got rid of the box.

ett
07-11-2013, 09:45 PM
I have quit keeping boxes except like the huge TV box with styrofoam in case of moving

:yeahthat:

AngB
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks! I let most of the boxes go. Gonna keep our infant car seat box since DS2 is almost done in it and it still has a few years left, but I recycled a ton of boxes yesterday and have several more to go. We will keep the tv box though, might as well.