PDA

View Full Version : for fun, what style of fridge do you have?

AnnieW625
07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
We have an "old school" top freezer refrigerator that is 18 cu ft. (http://www.abt.com/product/46571/Frigidaire-FFTR1814LW.html?utm_source=scbing&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=bing&utm_term=FFTR1814LW) (it is the 2004 model of the linked one so no gallon door storage) and is too small for our family of 4, but we can't really replace it within anything newer or really fancy because everything is soo big (our kitchen is a galley kitchen built in 1950 and the cabinets while newer (2003-2004) are galley style cabinets as well). If we need to replace it I think we'd have much better luck with a SBS fridge like this (http://www.abt.com/product/60441/GE-GSHF6HGDWW.html) because we can get more space into a smaller space vs. a fancy French door fridge for a lot less money. A side by side wouldn't work for us with out the option of having an upright freezer in our garage. We would use the indoor freezer for easily stackable stuff that we use during the week vs. the bulk meat products we store in the big freezer.

We have a 10-15 yr. old 9 cu. ft. Kenmore upright freezer in our garage. I would love to get one that is bigger like a 18 cu. ft., but our current one works just fine. It was cheap and we bought it from a friend in 2006.

(ran out of space so no other category....sorry!)

BabyBearsMom
07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
We have this fridge: http://www.sears.com/kenmore-elite-20-cu-ft-white-french-door/p-04672122000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7 and I really love it. We used to have a other shool top freezer refigerator but it was leaking and too small. I had to do a TON of research to find a fridge that would fit into the space we had. A lot of SBS wouldn't even fit. Then I found this one and it was perfect. I have may .5" to spare on top and 2" on the side, so this was the max I could fit. I found that the space I got with this was much better than the SBS because of the width. Most of the SBS fridges that could fit in my kitchen could not fit a Costco pizza in them.

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Old school. Came with the house we bought in 2002. We plan to replace it eventually but what we have works so I can't justify the $ just because we want a new one; that's not how we roll. We have a 2nd fridge in the basement that came with the house. We store our booze in there and use it when we have parties. That one is an old school side by side. Hate the style b/c you can't fit much in the freezer.

BabbyO
07-11-2013, 01:32 PM
We have a Side by Side - came with the house and DH and I have agreed that we will NEVER get another side by side again! We hate it! The fridge section is pretty well suited to our family unless we're having a party, then it gets a bit cramped. But we both HATE the freezer section. I'd much prefer a french door or old school. I don't think we'll be able to get a french door because the opening will be too small - we have an older house and there is a wall and cabinets on either side of our fridge.

ETA: I voted wrong...I accidentally checked that the fridge/freezer is perfect, but meant to check the one below it - we need an additional freezer.

TwoBees
07-11-2013, 01:36 PM
We have a side-by-side and love it. About a year ago, we got rid of our old top-freezer fridge for the side-by-side. We also have an older top-freezer fridge in the basement (not the same one we recently replaced).

ETA: I would never go back to a top/bottom unit if I could help it, but I might go to a French door. Needing extra space horizontally is not an issue because we use the basement fridge for those items (large platter, pizza boxes, etc).

brittone2
07-11-2013, 01:45 PM
We have PO's SBS that is so old the ice maker/water on the door is stationary, and freezer side has both a top and bottom door. It is still chugging along. We want to replace it but aren't sure what we want, and our house was built in the late 80s, so the fridge opening is a little smaller than many of the french door ones. It is amazing how the old appliances chugged along for so many years. A year or so after moving in we replaced the dishwasher, which was a late 80s Jenn Air. We did a few small repairs on it (needed a new seal, for ex), but it kept having minor issues and I was afraid we were going to have something more serious happen. I highly doubt any appliances we buy will last for 20+ years.

vludmilla
07-11-2013, 01:47 PM
We have a french door refrigerator and I absolutely LOVE it. We never run out of room, everything always fits. I have hosted large parties and holidays and I am always able to make everything fit. Other people have remarked about how it fits an amazing amount of food. It is also very quiet and classy looking, I think. It was well worth the cost to me.

KrisM
07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
We have 2 top-freezer models. One in the kitchen and one in the garage. I am happy with them both. I'm sure when the kitchen fridge needs replacing, we'll get another that is similar. My mom has bottom freezers and I really dislike it.

crl
07-11-2013, 03:32 PM
We have an old school top freezer style. But only because that's pretty much all that fit in the space--1920s kitchen. I prefer bottom freezer models and if we ever gut this kitchen, I would like to switch to that style.

Catherine

edurnemk
07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
We have an old school top freezer. It's the one DH and I got when we got married in 2004. It was enough for us until the last year, I'm really starting to feel the need for more space. I really, really want a bottom freezer, preferably with french doors and an ice maker.

daniele_ut
07-11-2013, 04:30 PM
We have a GE Profile 22 cubic foot SS French Door in the kitchen, an old refrigerator/ freezer in the basement and a mini fridge in the basement family room wet bar. We are planning to replace the old fridge with a more energy efficient freezer only.

i love our French Door fridge,

lmwbasye
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
We just moved and had to leave our fridge in the states. At home, we have a Samsung with french doors and freezer drawer on the bottom. LOVE it. Here, we have a tiny British fridge. Fridge on top and freezer on the bottom. It's small but we're just so happy to be here that I don't even care. :)

AngB
07-11-2013, 04:49 PM
At home, we have a Samsung with french doors and freezer drawer on the bottom. LOVE it.

That's what we have as well and LOVE it. We've had it several years now and not had any problems.

My mom just got a traditional side by side, I'm not really a fan of that style since we eat pizza and stuff and it's nice to just throw it in the fridge in the box.

brittone2
07-11-2013, 05:18 PM
We just moved and had to leave our fridge in the states. At home, we have a Samsung with french doors and freezer drawer on the bottom. LOVE it. Here, we have a tiny British fridge. Fridge on top and freezer on the bottom. It's small but we're just so happy to be here that I don't even care. :)

I just have to say that I'm so happy for you and your family, lmwbasye!

buttercup
07-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Just a generic, old Kenmore one that came with the house (and with 10 year old beer, I might add).
I secretely hope it dies soon so I can buy an aqua Big Chill or other vintage looking one ;)

crl
07-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I just have to say that I'm so happy for you and your family, lmwbasye!

Ditto! :)
Catherine

essnce629
07-11-2013, 07:19 PM
You have the same problem that we did-- small galley kitchen with no space for a nice large fridge like I would have wanted.

We went with the smallest french door fridge that we could find (LG 18 cu ft) to replace the old standard fridge that was in here when we bought our house. And we have a standard 18 cu ft fridge in our garage as well. We are replacing our old, non-energy star garage fridge with a used energy star fridge tomorrow. I went with a fridge in the garage instead of just a freezer since we need the fridge space for when we have parties and I make a ton of stuff the day before. I also buy large bags of fresh produce (salads, asparagus, broccoli) at Costco and those bags are huge and would take up all the space in our main fridge if I had to keep them in there.

I still love our tiny french door fridge way more than the standard fridge. I love having all the fridge stuff at eye level and will never go back to a standard fridge in the kitchen.

gatorsmom
07-11-2013, 07:20 PM
We have 4 refrigerators and a chest freezer. We have a built in subzero side by side in the kitchen. I love the fridge part but the freezer holds almost nothing. We have a side by side Whirlpool in the mudroom. I love it- the freezer is nice and roomy. We have an old fridge in the garage that dh puts drinks in and we keep some stuff in the freezer. We have a mini "dorm fridge in our master bathroom so my lazy-a$$ self doesn't have to go downstairs in the middle of the night for drinks of milk for the kids. :D

gatorsmom
07-11-2013, 07:23 PM

It is so good to hear you happy and settled. :)

karstmama
07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
i miss the fridge in my last house - fridge on top, freezer on bottom. freezer opened like a door, not a drawer, but had some drawers inside and an icemaker on the opening side, so really easy to grab some ice. sigh.

right now have an old school one that just sprung a freon leak this week. repair dude recharged it & said it would eventually lose charge again in 6mo, a year, 2 years... anyway, renting from my brother, so i guess it will end up their garage fridge.

i'd love a small chest freezer, but don't have one.

ilfaith
07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
We have a side-by-side Sub-Zero similar to this...
http://www.subzero-wolf.com/builtin-refrigerators/BI36S-side-by-side
It's what came with the house when we bought it. Sometimes I find the freezer a bit narrow.

When we redid the kitchen in our last home, we chose a Viking fridge with a freezer drawer, like this...
http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/product/products/refrigeration/freestanding-refrigeration/professional-freestanding-refrigerator-freezers/36--refrigerator-freezers/36--french-door-bottom-freezer-refrigerator---vcff236
I ended up hating the freezer drawer. Stuff just got buried in there, and if I wanted to reach the bag of frozen peas on the bottom of the drawer, I'd have to pull out everything on top of it.

We also have an old white fridge in the garage, mostly for beverages, and party platters and other large items (Thanksgiving turkeys, Costco sheet cakes, etc) that don't fit in our side-by-side.

And two wine fridges. One built into the kitchen island and another stand alone kept in the closet off the game room.

KLD313
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I have a Sub-Zero that came with the house. The freezer is on thr bottom. I hate it because of the counter depth but I will say it's lasted forever and it's cheaper to repair it than to replace it.

cono0507
07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
French door/bottom freezer that is made to look built in after our new kitchen remodel.
We have a chest freezer in the basement and an additional beverage fridge also made to look built in in the kitchen (for beer, soda, wine, etc).
Without the extra freezer and bev fridge, it wouldn't be enough room but with all three it is perfect.

SASM
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
We recently moved to a rental with a side by side. I absolutely hate it! The layout is wonky and there isn't nearly enough space for our fresh, lfrozen, etc. Our house is NY had a "fridge on top/freezer drawer on bottom" style. It was very customizable - the shelves were adjustable as were the storage areas in the door. I sooooo miss my NY fridge!!!

pomegranate
07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
We have a KitchenAid side by side. It's fine but can't fit nearly as much stuff as a traditional fridge. We really wanted to get a French door fridge but were limited due to existing space constraints.

JElaineB
07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
We just got a new Samsung stainless French door fridge (about 25 cu. ft.) a couple of months ago thanks to some advice from here on the style of fridge to get. We really like it. We also have a large upright freezer in the garage.

smilequeen
07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
We have a built in, a bit wider than a typical side by side. It works, but I still wish I would have gone with the even wider one. We also have a side by side in our basement bar. The main one is generally big enough, but at holidays we definitely spill over and we occasionally have things in the downstairs freezer.

klwa
07-12-2013, 12:20 PM
We have a side by side. Would probably buy something similar again, although I'd consider a French Door. If I kept the left overs from piling up in it, it would be about the right size for our family. :) I've considered getting a small stand alone freezer for BJ's runs, though.

queenmama
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
i miss the fridge in my last house - fridge on top, freezer on bottom. freezer opened like a door, not a drawer, but had some drawers inside and an icemaker on the opening side, so really easy to grab some ice.
(snip)
i'd love a small chest freezer, but don't have one.

This is what we have and I agree that a small chest freezer would be nice, but it's not a real need.

ETA: the fridge part is 13.25cuft and more than enough for us. I definitely wouldn't want one any bigger.

Our fridge is old. We've had it since before we were married (15 years) and it was used then. But it is an awesome Frigidaire and keeps stuff crazy cool even on a low setting. And fridge-over-freezer is perfect for us.

In my next kitchen I would like a vintage fridge and would probably have to have a chest freezer or possibly a second fridge for space. It would still be thousands cheaper than buying a new retro style fridge like Big Chill or Smeg.

gamma
07-12-2013, 09:28 PM
I have a 23 year old, freezer on the top, refrigerator on the bottom that is too ugly to die! It works, so I won't replace it. I am looking forward to model with the freezer on the bottom.