PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean Discover Backpack vs Critter Pack vs Original?

a2mom
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Anyone have experience with the LL Bean Discovery backpack? DD1 is going into Kindergarten this fall and we're picking a backpack. Neither my daughter nor I care for the patterns in the original this year but she does like the Dragonfly Discovery backpack. She'll need to fit her snow pants, maybe boots/shoes, lunchbox (we have the LL Bean flip top) and a folder in the backpack. I've heard the Critter packs are great but they don't have any patterns she likes now and the size seems comparable - maybe even smaller than - the Discovery packs.

I like the Lands End patterns but would rather not buy from them due to links with factories of dubious human rights records. If anyone knows anything about the ethics of Pottery Barn or Garnet Hill, I'm open to considering them but haven't found much on their human rights/sourcing records.

TIA!

Kindra178
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
The Discovery is brand new this year, so I doubt anyone will have significant experience. The Critter is a well made backpack. DS1 used one for first grade and it looks brand new. It is definitely big and unstructured, which is probably good for the younger elem aged kids. The problem is that it doesn't have a usable water bottle pocket which has begun to drive ds crazy. Add the Explorer to your list too. Lots of favorable reviews here. This year's version of the Explorer is bigger, does not have a covered zipper but does have two pockets.

As to LE, I am surprised to hear about links to factories of dubious human rights records. LLB has a better track record? I certainly can't imagine PBK does. Absent LE's factory problems, I would have suggested the Classmate Medium or Featherlight Medium. There are some cute patterns and LE has seemed to have addressed past criticisms. I believe ds will be using one or the other this year. I ordered both to compare. I like the no tip design on both.

elektra
07-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Yes, don't forget the Explorer! I really wanted to get that for DD last year but I thought the covered zipper would be an issue. Looks like this year's version doesn't have it though as Kindra pointed out. DD's LE's medium class mate has been great for her though. I agree that simpler is better for the K set. Hers is still in good shape and I think she can still use it next year too.
I don't know anything about LE's compared to LLB's factory or human rights records.

Kindra178
07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Yes, don't forget the Explorer! I really wanted to get that for DD last year but I thought the covered zipper would be an issue. Looks like this year's version doesn't have it though as Kindra pointed out. DD's LE's medium class mate has been great for her though. I agree that simpler is better for the K set. Hers is still in good shape and I think she can still use it next year too.
I don't know anything about LE's compared to LLB's factory or human rights records.

I didn't know you stuck with LE last year. Glad to hear it worked out ok. This year's girl patterns are really cute!

a2mom
07-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips! Good point about keeping the compartments simple for a young child - I hadn't thought of that.

I'm not super confident that LL Bean's human rights record is stellar either but the Better World Shopping Guide gives them a "B" and I think Lands End has a "D" - at least for the clothing category.

I may have some work to convince DD1 to go with the Explorer b/c of the black bottom - I know it's practical from a mom's standpoint for not showing dirt but for a 5 year old girl, it's not very pretty! : ) I can keep my eyes open on ebay for a used LE classmate or LL Bean critter pack in good shape.

arivecchi
07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
We have the explorer. Great backpack. Highly recommend it!

Simon
07-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Bought a LLB Critter for Ds1 last year and it was too wide for his school locker. Those little zip pockets on the side didn't fit in well and were getting caught in the door so I swapped it out for a cheap-o bag that was narrower and still did fine. We do have a smaller LLB bag that Ds2 uses (I think its the junior original) and its going strong after 2-3 years of daily day care/preK use. It fits a change of clothing, folders/art work, and his lunch box. But we don't transport boots and snow pants daily and I'm not sure they would fit. I buy an extra pair of snow pants to keep at school and keep indoor shoes there, too. Boots are worn back and forth. That way nothing is ever forgotten. We also have a small LE bag that has been in use for 3-4 years. Its a light color but has washed well and held up great. I expect it will soon become Ds3's bag for preschool. I don't think you can go wrong either way in terms of quality.

mommyp
07-12-2013, 05:05 PM
We just received the Discovery backpack for DD for Kindergarten because she fell in love with the butterfly (and I had a 15% off code to use :)). I think it is a touch smaller than the Original. With a lunch box and folder in there, I'm not convinced that snowpants and shoes would fit. Snow is not an issue here, so I think it will be good for lunch box, snack, folder, and a jacket.