PDA

View Full Version : can we talk bras/boobs?

megs4413
07-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I have never experienced much in the way of breast changes during pregnancy. I never really even got a real supply of milk post partum with DD. I did with DS, but again, the real size changes didn't occur until the milk actually came in. So, I've never needed to purchase new bras or anything while pregnant or even really post partum (i was unable to nurse either time, though I did successfully pump for DS.)

So, this time, my boobs are like...I mean......it's ridiculous. It's like I've had a boob job. No milk or leaking or anything, but they're like rapidly expanding. As of today, my bras officially don't fit. What do I need to do about bras? Is there like a maternity bra? I've never had to buy anything like this, so I feel sort of lost. Do I need to get measured? Is that a waste since i still have so far to go and may have size changes again? Also, are my boobs going to go back to their regular size after I'm done bfing or should I figure my bras right now are toast? TIA!

mikala
07-11-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd check out the bravado body silk nursing bra. It's supportive and smooth under clothes, no underwire and lots of back hook adjustments so it works for an expanding and then shrinking rib cage postpartum.

The only cons are the price and it is cut a little higher than most of my other bras so the top of it can show under lower cut shirts.

rolypoly27
07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
I've been wearing my nursing bras during this pregnancy. They are flexible with no wires and much more comfortable than my regular bras. I plan on getting fitted and buying new bras after I am finished breastfeeding next year. I wouldn't invest in new bras right now since your breasts may go through more changes.

scrooks
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
I wear nursing bras as well. I have several different brands but I like the bravado ones as well. I got one a couple of months ago from diapers.com for around $14... It's black but I really could care less about color. The other 2 I have I got off a deal a day site years ago for around the same price.

megs4413
07-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok, so it sounds like a nursing bra is the way to go. Does it have to be wireless? I haven't worn a non-wired bra since I was like 14....

sarahsthreads
07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I gave in and bought some cheap no-wire Hanes ones that are sized S/M/L/XL instead of traditional band & cup sizes. I think they're these? (http://www.target.com/p/hanes-comfortflex-fit-wire-free-bra-assorted-colors/-/A-13833655) They don't make the most attractive silhouette under shirts, but at least they've accommodated any size changes over the past few months. (And honestly, the baby bump steals all the attention, so who cares about silhouettes anyway? I'll take comfortable, thanks!)

My experience was that my size changed a great deal when my milk came in, then settled down a bit until I was done nursing. After I weaned DD1 I had no problem wearing my pre-pregnancy bras. After DD2...well. Let's just say they deflated like sad little balloons. So I still really needed the same bra size, but it could have used a bit of...filler. ;)

I have no idea what I'm going to wear for nursing bras this time around - right now I have a bunch of those soft sleep nursing bras, and I guess once I get through all the major milk coming in size changes I'll go find something. And no idea what I'll be wearing once this little guy is done nursing, either.

Sarah :)

MamaMolly
07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I found the Elle McPherson brand nursing bras gave me good support, nice shape (no mono-boob) and are not underwire. I usually wear an underwire but these were my go-to nursing and pregnancy bras. They have a ton of hooks on the back, too. I bought mine off Amazon. It was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Elle-Macpherson-Intimates-Maternelle-Maternity/dp/B00065TDCU/ref=sr_1_1_mc?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1373583368&sr=1-1

Nemesia
07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I can relate. I gained 5(!) cup sizes in my first trimester and I think I've gained at least two more since then. (I'm 34+4). I went to Nordstrom to get measured during my first trimester and ended up buying 2 bras in my new bodacious size. Now those bras barely fit, but I don't want to buy anything else because my friends have said I'll most likely get even larger when my milk comes in. I'm not sure what to do... wait to buy nursing bras or break down and buy something now so I'm comfortable for these last few weeks.

cookiemonster80
07-11-2013, 10:33 PM
I'd check out the bravado body silk nursing bra. It's supportive and smooth under clothes, no underwire and lots of back hook adjustments so it works for an expanding and then shrinking rib cage postpartum.

The only cons are the price and it is cut a little higher than most of my other bras so the top of it can show under lower cut shirts.

This is seriously the best bra EVER

ArizonaGirl
07-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I've been wearing my nursing bras during this pregnancy. They are flexible with no wires and much more comfortable than my regular bras. I plan on getting fitted and buying new bras after I am finished breastfeeding next year. I wouldn't invest in new bras right now since your breasts may go through more changes.

A big :yeahthat: to this

shawnandangel
07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
I just went and got measured. Woah! My boobs are huge now too. I went from a 32B to a 34DD. I bought 1 body by Victoria bra on sale and just wear it and wash it every 2-3 days. Not going to spend a lot of money when I don't know if they are going to continue to grow over the next 8 weeks.

The nursing bra mentioned above is interesting. Going to check it out!

ArizonaGirl
07-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Ok, so it sounds like a nursing bra is the way to go. Does it have to be wireless? I haven't worn a non-wired bra since I was like 14....

It doesn't have to be wired, but you will be able to go through size changes and the bra will be more forgiving if it doesn't have wires. I started out pre-DS at a C cup size, and after nursing him I was a D. I am still nursing DD but I am thinking that I might be and E or F after nursing her.

rolypoly27
07-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Just wanted to add that I have these nursing bras from A Pea in the Pod.

Unlined nursing sleep bra (not much support but super comfortable for nursing around the house and for sleeping in): http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product.asp?product_Id=195540361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29

Seamless clip down nursing bra (offers more coverage and support without seams or wires. i prefer bras that you pull down to nurse like the one above so these get used less, but great if you need more coverage/support when out of the house): http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product.asp?product_Id=195570361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29

I'm tempted to buy more nursing bras. I only had two of each listed above for my first pregnancy, but I'm thinking of getting more this time around. How many nursing bras do people have?

A Pea in the Pod has a Buy 3 Get 1 Free promo going on right now if anyone is interested. They also some other promos on their website.

megs4413
07-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Well I went ahead and measured tonight and went from a 38B pre-pregnancy to a 40D now and I'm not even in the third tri. I was a 34D prior to my first child and went down one cup size after her and then went another cup size down after DS and landed at the 38B size....so the idea of going up is just super foreign to me. I'm ordering one of the Bravadas to try...I will probably go in store to see some others in person before buying any more. I just wonder like how much more could this change? and what on earth is it going to be like once the milk comes in? I just can't even picture it right now!

Suzan
07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
With DD I started at a 42D and ended at a 44F. I just went to the Motherhood outlet and got measured and bought Underwire Nursing bras there. They were on sale. After all was said and done I settled about 44 DD/E depending on the bra. My milk never came in good tho we did BF a bit for about 2 months.

queenmama
07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
I just wonder like how much more could this change? and what on earth is it going to be like once the milk comes in? I just can't even picture it right now!

I didn't think I'd get any bigger than I was at 40w but I was so wrong! I gained at least another cup once my milk came in.

I would suggest sticking to the stretchy soft cups until you are 2-3 weeks postpartum (great advice from Breakout Bras... Listen to EVERYTHING they say! Some smart mamas over there that know their bras!) and then buy a few really good nursing bras in your adjusted size.

I wasn't a fan of the popular Bravado body silk. I prefer Anita bras, by and large. Their clips are super easy, the straps are supportive, and I still have two separate boobs, not one wide uniboob. ;)