PDA

View Full Version : Would you find this offputting?

megs4413
07-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I am perpetually cranky right now, so I'm wondering if I am just totally off on this. I admit, I'm probably overreacting at least a little....

A parent from the school DD attends sent out an email saying they'd purchased school supplies (which admittedly were hard to find and expensive last year, it's private school and we have to buy a LOT of supplies and not all of them can be found at one place... I think I had to order some online and then also go to 3 different stores last year) and that it was very expensive and hard to do. As a service (?) to their "friends" they were offering to purchase the supplies for you and charge an additional $30 for their service.

what? no, seriously, what?

Would you consider this a good offer? a reasonable offer? they're not saying it as a fundraiser for the school and they DO NOT have the school's approval (they asked and were denied) to do this. I guess they just saw it as a money making opportunity? I'm just baffled, though. I feel like I've been spammed under the guise of friendship which has been on my mind lately a lot as people seem to be more and more prone to self promotion on facebook and such. Maybe I'm oversensitive because of that?

I am not going to lie to you. I'm tempted to write something nasty back. I am not doing it right now, but I am sorta posting here to keep my fingers busy, IYKWIM. Maybe y'all can talk me down...WDYT?

brittone2
07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
THat's pretty ballsy. As a PTA thing, okay, but without clearing that up...they look ridiculous.

citymama
07-11-2013, 05:39 PM
It's tacky. No, worse than that. But it's not worth your replying to. Roll your eyes, bitch to your husband and friends, vent to us, but don't reply. It just can't help.

brittone2
07-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Agree with citymama's plan of action ;)

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
I'd happily pay $5-10 for that service but they are just being greedy!!

edurnemk
07-11-2013, 05:41 PM
THat's pretty ballsy. As a PTA thing, okay, but without clearing that up...they look ridiculous.

:yeahthat: I think it's in very poor taste. But I wouldn't say anything.

PZMommy
07-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Crazy! I wouldn't reply though.

ahisma
07-11-2013, 05:44 PM
It's definitely off-putting. I wouldn't respond but I bet that others will. We've been spammed by school parents before and it's always been the case that other parents complained very loudly.

anonomom
07-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeeks! That takes some nerve. I don't think I'd waste my time replying.

megs4413
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
It's tacky. No, worse than that. But it's not worth your replying to. Roll your eyes, bitch to your husband and friends, vent to us, but don't reply. It just can't help.

I know you're right. At least I'm not alone in thinking this is inappropriate. If I tell my Dh, he'll just be like, "who cares?" he is the MOST LAID BACK person i have ever met.

crl
07-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I would be annoyed at the spam aspect. Otherwise I guess I'd think of it as someone trying to put together a small business. I would just delete and ignore.

Catherine

Staraglimmer
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
I think that is tacky. I've tracked down supplies for other parents, placed and order and sent them to school. The parents paid me for the supplies but I certainly didn't charge a fee. If the $$ went to the school or a soup kitchen then I'd be ok with it I guess.

MamaMolly
07-11-2013, 05:59 PM
A $30 fee to have someone else get your BTS shopping for you? That seems pretty outrageous. What percentage of the total cost of supplies is it? Would you pay that is shipping if you bought the whole entire list off Amazon? Lula's books for Kinder last year were over $200, so I get that school supplies can be expensive. But I still wouldn't have shelled out an extra $30 for what is basically a private delivery service.

megs4413
07-11-2013, 06:01 PM
I think that is tacky. I've tracked Dow supplies for other parents, placed and order and sent them to school. The parents paid me for the supplies but I certainly didn't charge a fee. If the $$ went to the school or a soup kitchen then I'd be ok with it I guess.

I feel this same way. If it had been for charity or the school, I would have done it even! It was a NIGHTMARE last year. But just for them to gain? No. Honestly, I'm tempted to suggest it to the PTA as a PTA fundraiser. The teachers would love it if everyone made sure to have the same stuff.

A $30 fee to have someone else get your BTS shopping for you? That seems pretty outrageous. What percentage of the total cost of supplies is it? Would you pay that is shipping if you bought the whole entire list off Amazon? Lula's books for Kinder last year were over $200, so I get that school supplies can be expensive. But I still wouldn't have shelled out an extra $30 for what is basically a private delivery service.

I have no idea, because I haven't reviewed the list. I think it would amount to about 10% of last year's supplies, but this year could be more expensive. Haven't checked yet.

Binkandabee
07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
That would rub me the wrong way as well. Doing it and donating the money to the PTA, sure...but to line your own pockets in the process, no. I could even see it for $10.00 or so, but $30.00 for that service is really outrageous.

I would be ever so tempted to say something, but ultimately would decide against it. Nothing good can come of it.

wellyes
07-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Roll eyes and delete.

It's like the people on Craigslist who list used items for the same price as new. Thinking everyone else is a moron is not going to be a successful business plan.

Gena
07-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I would be tempted to Reply to All and try to start a bidding war by offering to do it for a $15 fee. :p

Pear
07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
10% of the cost of the supplies actually seems like a reasonable fee to me. If I was busy, and didn't actually enjoy school supply shopping, I would probably jump at the offer.

TwinFoxes
07-11-2013, 06:41 PM
. Thinking everyone else is a moron is not going to be a successful business plan.
:ROTFLMAO:Hilarious.

OP, that is so ridiculous I LOL'd when I read it. I would be in the rolling my eyes and deleting crowd. Don't worry, I'm sure someone else will say something along the lines of "are you cuh-razay?"

megs4413
07-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I would be tempted to Reply to All and try to start a bidding war by offering to do it for a $15 fee. :p

this is EXACTLY what my Dh suggested. of course, I'm not going to do it, but it made me laugh. Now that I've seen the list, I think the fee is ludicrous. It's more like 20% of the total cost. that's just not reasonable to me.

Melaine
07-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I would laugh but wouldn't be offended. I do know a lot of folks who would be happy to pay for that service and why shouldn't they try to make some money? I can't imagine them getting many takers, but maybe a couple. Then again, I re-sell bargains at a profit and a lot of people here seem offended by that.

Corie
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
That is pretty crappy! They probably wouldn't have any shipping costs if they can get several orders together
for each online store. So obviously the extra $30 is just payment for their friendship to place the order.

I'd probably send an email to everyone on their distribution list and I'd offer to place the group order
for only $10. :)

mommylamb
07-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Rolling eyes and delete is definitely the right response. However, I would be tempted to reply to all and ask what charity they were planning on donating the money to so at they're in the awkward position of having to say that they had planned to pocket the money.

and really, is it that difficult to find the school supplies? If so, I'd speak to the school about it because these are just not the things that should be stressful. I mean, school supplies should be so etching you can easily buy on lounge at staples or amazon over 10 minutes on a lunch break IMO.

Sweetum
07-11-2013, 08:40 PM
I love this idea!!
I would be annoyed seeing the email. I don't think I would respond - just ignore.
For a business, if it were me, I would approach it in a more straightforward manner - we are starting a business supplying so and so to make life easier for parents, and our charges are xxx, if interested please email and provide us your list. But honestly, this does not seem like a business, this is just money for a one time thing. I can't think of this being a "business".

musicalgrl
07-11-2013, 08:47 PM
I would feel a little embarrassed for them actually, but I wouldn't say anything.

Liziz
07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I know you're right. At least I'm not alone in thinking this is inappropriate. If I tell my Dh, he'll just be like, "who cares?" he is the MOST LAID BACK person i have ever met.

Haha, this made me laugh. I'm with you -- super tacky, I'd be super annoyed to get that email. Especially if it came from someone who I was supposedly "friends" with.....and then I'd go complain to DH, and he'd act *exactly* like your DH! And then I'd be even more annoyed, because I didn't have anyone to gripe with!

Pennylane
07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Yes, so tacky! I can see doing some type of group order to save everyone the trouble of tracking all the items down , but that is so ballsy!

Ann

KpbS
07-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Yes, it would bother me. I think $30 is ri-dic-u-lous and fat chance of them getting my $30. I think it would feel pretty good to hit delete on that email.

squimp
07-12-2013, 03:23 AM
I think it is kind of sad. Why would you charge such a ridiculous amount? We just spent a grand total of $22 on our school supplies.

blisstwins
07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
I would laugh and delete. Definitely don't respond. Their children must be mortified.

vonfirmath
07-12-2013, 09:09 AM
I'd happily pay $5-10 for that service but they are just being greedy!!

This. If it was an extra $5 to avoid the hassle, I'd have been pleased to be contacted. $10... I would have had to think about it. Depends on the list I guess. I like looking for school supplies!

For an extra $30, it would definitely negatively affect how I think of the person. Greedy and such.

So yeah, the cost makes all the difference.

tabegle
07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Rolling eyes and delete is definitely the right response. However, I would be tempted to reply to all and ask what charity they were planning on donating the money to so at they're in the awkward position of having to say that they had planned to pocket the money.

I was thinking the same thing. If I was feeling ballsy and in a snarky mood, I might reply all and ask if (or where) the $30 was being donated.

arivecchi
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
However, I would be tempted to reply to all and ask what charity they were planning on donating the money to so at they're in the awkward position of having to say that they had planned to pocket the money. Oh, this would be awesome. Hehehe.

Agree with others. Beyond tacky.

hellokitty
07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow, a $30 fee??? Do they realize that there are companies that do this, and while they are expensive, they are not $30 fee type of expensive! Geez! The company that our PTO uses is called, www.schooltoolbox.com. If I were you, I would send her that link, and say that it would be really nice if she could set up that service for school supplies. Basically, I think it will open her eyes that she is waaay over-charging for what she is proposing.

BunnyBee
07-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Delete or reply innocently, "Oh how nice of you to organize a school fundraiser. Should checks be made out to the PTO?" ;)

blisstwins
07-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I know being passive aggressive feels good, but just let it go.

megs4413
07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
I know being passive aggressive feels good, but just let it go.

Oh I did! I won't say a word. I have to admit, though, I'm not likely to speak to this woman at school now. *shrug* There are certainly going to be social ramifications.

Kindra178
07-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Oh I did! I won't say a word. I have to admit, though, I'm not likely to speak to this woman at school now. *shrug* There are certainly going to be social ramifications.

Late to this thread (tapatalk won't let me reply). You are definitely right to be annoyed. This kind of service would only make sense if it raised money for the school or PTO. It seems unnecessary in light of the ease of ordering all sorts of supplies from the internet. Glad you are taking the high road.

kellij
07-13-2013, 12:34 AM
I just think it's weird. I don't find it offensive though. I put it in the same category of other businesses ideas I think are silly or over-priced.

Still-in-Shock
07-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Delete or reply innocently, "Oh how nice of you to organize a school fundraiser. Should checks be made out to the PTO?" ;)
I love this!
If you weren't in the middle of a pregnancy, the bidding war would be great too. Heck, if I wasn't in the middle of getting ready for my DC, I'd get in that bidding war too!

tropicalmom
07-13-2013, 09:48 AM
While I would pay to avoid having to go to multiple stores and search for non standard school supplies, I think she's too expensive. I'd be willing to pay $20 for a complicated list like you mentioned, especially if the list doesn't tell you where to look for them. When I first moved here, I received a complicated list and no idea where to begin and with DH on the road and my work life crazy busy, it would totally have been worth $20 to me to get that off my to-do list if I knew the things would be exactly what was required.

Sounds like I'm in the minority but when time is short and things can be outsourced to someone I know will do it correctly, I'd jump.

I do think it makes more sense for private schools with complicated lists to offer that service themselves and make money for the school. If it were just notebooks and pencils with no trip to a specialty store required, that's another thing entirely.

bisous
07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
That is obnoxious and I would SO want to reply but I wouldn't and I know that if I did, I would regret. No doubt all the recipients on the list are thinking the same thing. I wonder if anyone will actually take them up on this!