PDA

View Full Version : I swear finding a husband was easier than finding a decent nanny...

Kira's Mommy
07-12-2013, 12:54 AM
And I keep getting it wrong.

My choices are limited as we want the nanny to speak our native language. There is no daycare in the area where teachers speak my native language so daycare isn't an option.

Nanny #1 was with us for almost a year - the 2nd year of DD's life. She seemed ok, but not great. DD was never crazy about her. We let her go because I was starting my mat leave with DS.

Nanny #2 was with us for 4 weeks. She started when I went back to work and DS was 1. She was a former teacher, really good with kids, very responsible. She told me she was 60 at the interview. When I hired her and checked her ID it turned out she was 67. I could tell it was hard for her to keep up with a very active toddler. After 4 weeks she announced she was leaving because she had just found out she had a health condition.

Nanny #3 we hired out of desperation after only 1 week of interviews because we both worked full time and Nanny#2 didn't give us any notice. Nanny #3 seemed awfully strange at the interview but both my kids (DD in particular, although she is in a full-day Montessori right now) LOVED her. The nanny was a foreign trained nurse, her references were perfect. After the initial honeymoon crazy staff started happening. She started moving our furniture, removed our area rugs (all for safety reasons). She would dress DS in his pajamas for walks "because his pjs were organic cotton and his regular clothes weren't". She would overdress DS so "bugs don't bite him". She would be constantly moping my floors (we didn't ask her to do any house work!) while DS was strapped in a high chair. She would speak to DS in broken English instead of our native language (which is her native language too). She removed the mobile from DS room "because it can fall on DS in the event of an earthquake in Toronto!". DH worked from home and kept an eye on her but things got more and more weird.

Today I got a call from my friend who is also a nanny and who comes to our park. The friend said she strongly recommended we find someone else to care for DS. DS is strapped in a stroller all the time during walks, she doesn't talk to him, does not play. She avoids other nannies that are my friends. She always holds his hand when she lets him out of the stroller. She does not allow him to touch certain toys or play on certain play structures in the park for no apparent reason.

Anyways, I'm letting her go tomorrow. I can't get out of my head the image of my very active DS strapped in a stroller in his favourite park, crying. I hate the fact that I have to leave him every morning with some crazy strangers, that I have a job (and like it), I hate myself. I feel so guilty.

Why is that everyone else in my neighbourhood has next to perfect nannies and I keep hiring some crazy weirdoes to care for my DS????? Finding a lifemate was easier that finding a nanny!

That's all. Thank you for reading. I'm going to try and get some sleep tonight although I doubt it's happening.

Fairy
07-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Will all-day daycare work for you? Is there any way to do that and just halt the Nanny thing?

crl
07-12-2013, 01:29 AM
That must be incredibly stressful. I am so sorry.

Catherine

citymama
07-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Will all-day daycare work for you? Is there any way to do that and just halt the Nanny thing?

Ditto. We struck out twice with nannies and decided the daycare route worked better for us. We've never looked back.

TwinFoxes
07-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Ugh! That sounds so crazy-making. Maybe it's time to let go of the language requirement and look into language programs instead. Open up the pool a bit. :hug:

elizabethkott
07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm so sorry.
P&PT that you find a solution that is a perfect fit for you soon!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

firstbaby
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
OP, I totally get your frustration and disappointment. We went the au pair route and it was...an adventure :) I agree with Twin Foxes - the first thought that crossed my mind was to move the language requirement down the list. You've met that requirement already and it didn't prove to give you the quality of care you want for your kids, but it is really narrowing your "nanny pool" to find the right one. Maybe keep it on the list of "nice to haves" but look at ones that don't have that to widen the field. Also, since it sounds like you are plugged into the nanny scene around you, get the word out that you are looking - hopefully a great referral will get sent your way - you are due for a good one :)

Kira's Mommy
07-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Thank you very much for your replies ladies. I did look at the English speaking daycare options in the area and they all get extremely mixed reviews. I'll take another look.

Ugh... My DD goes to a local English speaking Montessori and we LOVE it. They accept kids from 2.5.

YouAreTheFocus
07-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Ugh! That sounds so crazy-making. Maybe it's time to let go of the language requirement and look into language programs instead. Open up the pool a bit. :hug:

I agree. I'm sorry you have had such a tough time! And nanny #3, who-eeee. She sounds rather...interesting. But like this poster, my initial thought was, it seems like you need to let go of the language req. I just don't think it can trump everything else that makes a good nanny.

PunkyBoo
07-12-2013, 02:12 PM
I agree. I'm sorry you have had such a tough time! And nanny #3, who-eeee. She sounds rather...interesting. But like this poster, my initial thought was, it seems like you need to let go of the language req. I just don't think it can trump everything else that makes a good nanny.

I agree. We REALLY wanted a nanny that was bilingual English & Spanish (DH and his family all fluent Spanish but since I'm not the kids aren't either and we both wish they were). But ultimately the WONDERFUL nanny we hired speaks English and German and I wouldn't trade her for anyone now! Your children's well being is the #1 priority and everything else is negotiable. You might even find a nanny willing to learn some phrases and words to reinforce with the kids. .. good luck to you! Believe me I know how heart wrenching it is to find and trust a nanny!

BabbyO
07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm sorry you are having a difficult time - but I totally agree, finding good child care (center, nanny, private) is WAY more difficult than finding a good husband! Or at least it was for me (I probably lucked out on the husband end, though!)

I hope something works out for you soon!

JustMe
07-12-2013, 05:15 PM
I am sorry. It probably isn't you, it is really difficult to find someone who can really take care of your kids well. I tried to go the afterschool nanny route with my kids this Fall, as it cost about the same as the afterschool program I have them enrolled in, but I struck out majorly and was too scared to try again. At least I know where my kids are and that there are rules the staff must follow at the afterschool program.