PDA

View Full Version : Preschool woes

BabyBearsMom
07-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Update: I just got a text from the teacher in DD1's old room. It sounds like there were a bunch of teachers who were also waiting unable to get in. I asked why they don't have keys to open the building and she said the owner doesn't "trust" them with keys. Whuck?!?!?! You trust them with my child but not with keys to the establishment? Grrrrrrrrr.

I'm not sure if this is a b*tching post or if I want advice. I'm not sure there is any advice. I've been having issues with DD1's preschool.
1) They don't have as many kids as usual this summer so to make numbers they were going to put DD1, who is a very mature 3, into the 2 year old classroom. I spoke to the owner and got DD1 moved into the 3 year old room with all of her friends, but I had to be very confrontational to do it.
2) The teacher who used to teach the 3's class subsequently left. FOr the summer, they have a college student teaching and she is fine (not great, but not terrible) and the owner does not know who will be teaching in the fall. The teacher from the 2's class, who we love, has asked to teach the 3's but for some reason the owner is not interested in that soluation. I do not know why. I don't like all of this flip flopping though and I really don't like how untransparent the owner is being about this.
3) This morning was kind of the last straw. They are supposed to open at 6:45, we got their at 7am and it was dark and locked. We checked the calendar, the web page and the voicemail message, no notification of a closing. We went back home and called at 7:45 and they were open. When DH asked what happened (he does drop off) he was told that the front desk admin (who is about 18 years old, fresh out of high school) was supposed to open but didn't show up. How on earth can she be the only person there? Shouldn't there be a teacher there as well to, I don't know, WATCH THE CHILDREN??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm upset and I think I'm more upset because I feel like I don't have any options. DD1 started at this school a year ago, and when we moved her, I interviewed every preschool in the area. This school is the one I liked the second best, but my first choice was much more $$. Like, once DD2 starts at this school, we will be paying $13,000 more per year for child care than we are now. While we could swing it, it would mean less money for college funds and for our down payment on a new house fund and just generally tighter belts. There was not a 3rd choice school. I interviewed about a dozen schools and the other 10 were absolutely unacceptable. I looked around briefly and there doesn't seem to be any new choices. So I'm stuck with this school until we move or the girls move on to public school. But it sucks. I am writing a letter to the owner and may call her this afternoon as well, although I don't expect to get anything out of it other than an apology. I don't really think there is anything she could say that would make me feel better. Is there anything I am not thinking of?

wellyes
07-12-2013, 10:46 AM
#3 is scary and sounds illegal.
Unless perhaps the teacher(s) didn't have keys so were waiting in their cars for the admin to show up. But then why would they ignore you trying to get in?

The rest sounds like no big deal to me.
1 - I know so many parents who had to haggle for a classroom, it's not great but it's pretty par for the course. Maybe they kept her with the 2s because it was a teacher she loved so much?
2 - They haven't hired a new teacher yet, so, not sure what the problem is? I don't think the director is obligated to be transparent about staffing, especially if she's discussing an employee's request to work elsewhere in the school. If I were that employee, I wouldn't want my manager discussing the situation with a customer.

Gena
07-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry you are going through this. It's so hard dealing with childcare. :hug:

he was told that the front desk admin (who is about 18 years old, fresh out of high school) was supposed to open but didn't show up. How on earth can she be the only person there? Shouldn't there be a teacher there as well to, I don't know, WATCH THE CHILDREN??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Definitely ask for clarification on this. I would guess that they need at least two employees present to be able to open. A teacher could have been there, but not able to open the center until the front desk admin arrived. After all, if the teacher is in a classroom watching the children, someone else needs to watch the front desk.

ETA: Coming back to add that not having enough staff to be open on time is completely unacceptable.

AnnieW625
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Oh man, is there anyway that the daycare where your DD2 goes can take your DD1 back temporarily? I would be very mad about this situation. Good luck! :hug:

♥ms.pacman♥
07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
wow all i can say is i am just flabbergasted. i'd definitely be looking for a new center (and i NEVER say this lightly).

#3 is definitely really bad. really really bad. deal-breaker bad. i am trying to picture this happening at my kids school (which opens at 7:00am) and i just can't. there are always at least 3 administators around (the director, one of the two owners, and another assistant director) there in the mornings, in addition to 3 or so of the teachers. their excuse makes NO sense...you are right, in addition to front desk person there should be at least ONE teacher there to watch the kids. that is just crazy. i could not use a daycare where i wasn't 10000% confident that it would be open to watch my kids, albeit some crazy snowstorm or something. that is just nuts. i'm incensed for you, honestly.

about the other stuff, i think putting a mature 3.5yo in a 2yo classroom is odd, for sure. few months back ds was in the upper 2's classroom (he was 3.25 and still not fully PT'ed, which was the reason) and occasionally his classroom and DD's (adjoining) were combined towards the end of the day. but once he was PT'ed he moved into the 3yo preschool classroom and at the end of the day his class was oftne combined with the preK class or sometimes even the K classroom. he loved it there as he could play with the "real" Legos and read books, and there's lots more fun things to do as choking hazards aren't an issue. this was only for half hour or so towards the end of the day. i'd imagine my DS would be bored out of his skull if he had to be a 2yo classroom the entire day for the whole summer. that seems strange that you had to haggle for that.

YouAreTheFocus
07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes, #3 is a real problem. Really bizarre. Why do they put the entire responsibility of opening the center on one 18 yr old HS-er? Why on earth do they trust that person with keys and not the teachers? And where are the other ppl who work there?

Similar to Ms. P, when our center opens (at 7:45) there are several admin-type employees present (receptionist, admin asst, program coordinator) as well as 1-2 teachers in every room. I have the impression they get there well before the opening time, as the place is in full swing when it opens to parents.

I would expect that they would own up to the error and make a formal apology to all the parents. I would expect they would outline a plan so this could never happen again. I would expect they would give the responsibility of opening to a more mature person, and give 1-2 add'l ppl keys so they could serve as backup.

I am confused about the price difference between choice #1 & #2. How much more would it be for both children to attend #1 than #2? Is your DD2 going to #1 or #2?

wellyes
07-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Update: I just got a text from the teacher in DD1's old room. It sounds like there were a bunch of teachers who were also waiting unable to get in. I asked why they don't have keys to open the building and she said the owner doesn't "trust" them with keys. Whuck?!?!?! You trust them with my child but not with keys to the establishment? Grrrrrrrrr.

To give the benefit of the doubt, I think in a place with really high security like a school, it's reasonable to limit the number of keys given out to as few as possible.

BabyBearsMom
07-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes, #3 is a real problem. Really bizarre. Why do they put the entire responsibility of opening the center on one 18 yr old HS-er? Why on earth do they trust that person with keys and not the teachers? And where are the other ppl who work there?

Similar to Ms. P, when our center opens (at 7:45) there are several admin-type employees present (receptionist, admin asst, program coordinator) as well as 1-2 teachers in every room. I have the impression they get there well before the opening time, as the place is in full swing when it opens to parents.

I would expect that they would own up to the error and make a formal apology to all the parents. I would expect they would outline a plan so this could never happen again. I would expect they would give the responsibility of opening to a more mature person, and give 1-2 add'l ppl keys so they could serve as backup.

I am confused about the price difference between choice #1 & #2. How much more would it be for both children to attend #1 than #2? Is your DD2 going to #1 or #2?

DD2 is currently at a home daycare but she is supposed to transfer to the same preschool with DD1 next month. I don't really want DD1 to go back to the home daycare. Don't get me wrong, we love the home day care, but we feel like being in preschool has been really good for DD1. She was painfully shy when she got there and being with other kids her age has really brought her out of her shell. Also the home daycare is mostly much younger children and I know that DD1 tends to regress when she is around younger kids.

The preschool that I liked more was $350 per week and the one that DD1 goes to is $250. The expensive one has fancy dance classes, a pool with lifeguard, and lots of other fancy things that make it more expensive. The other thing with the expensive one is that they don't give a second child discount which is 20% at our current one. So to send both girls to the expensive place would cost an extra $13,000 over what we pay now to send them to preschool and daycare. Having them in two different places is really hard for DH and I (we both WOH FT) and we really need them to be in one place right now.