PDA

View Full Version : Help the clueless, please! What double do I need?

Simon
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
We rarely use strollers so I know nothing about them, but we're going to have a few trips coming up with adults who don't understand anything about toddler schedules, so I need to be able to push Ds2 and Ds3 for naps. Requirements: Must be small enough for a small car trunk, have some kind of sunshades and reclining seats. I really want a side by side. I have pretty much zero to spend so I'm considering a stroller on CL. We have a double jogger already so I don't need anything all terrain. This double would be used on pavement or indoors. Total weight for Ds1 and Ds2 is about 50lbs so that shouldn't be a problem for most strollers, right?

These are all on our CL right now:
Option A: Zooper, red side by side, maybe a Tango? $30 Price is attractive but quality?
Option B: Maclaren, seats recline but I have no idea what model, $75--will the split handle bars drive me crazy? I push our jogger one handed sometimes.
Option C: Combi side by side $50, blue but I know nothing else.

Most of the doubles here are the mammoth Graco front to back kind that are all priced $50-$60 but I don't imagine their popularity actually means they are good strollers. They look so huge and heavy.

What should I do? Is there anything else I should be searching for?

shweethart
07-13-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't have any experience with those particular strollers but I'd look at how far the recline goes if it's going to be used for naps. Some only do about 45 degrees others are flat. My kids would be fine 45 degrees. As long as the head doesn't flop forward.

And you are right to avoid the front to back! Those are buses to push.

Good luck!

crl
07-13-2013, 09:34 AM
I have never had a double or any of the strollers you mention, so take this with a grain of salt. I have always heard that pushing the double umbrellas is awful. So I would skip the last two. I don't know anything about the zopper.

A baby jogger city mini double sounds like a good choice for your purposes and they have been around long enough that they do show up used, though I don't know about your CL, of course.

Catherine

shweethart
07-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I have double umbrella (old inglesina twin swift used) and compared to city mini double or jogger it is different in re: to push. But, indoors and sidewalks it gets the job done. We have a small car too so sometimes our bjcmd just can't come with us for space issues.

Simon
07-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear my suspicions confirmed in avoiding the front to back style. There is a city mini double on my CL, thanks for the suggestion, but they're asking $200 and I can't do that right now. Maybe I'll just start at the top and give these a try.

ebp913
07-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I saw a Zooper double at the mall this weekend and was checking it out for you. My observations are that it seems like anyone with a longer stride or who is taller will definitely kick the stroller. The handlebar is so close to the stroller seats as in it doesn't extend out at all so I know I would kick the back of the stroller for sure. The basket is huge but the access to it is really small. It has umbrella type tires but they were a little larger and they looked more like rubber instead of plastic which is good. That's really all I have to add on that one!

BabyBearsMom
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
I would go for city mini double or b-agile double for what you describe. They hit all of your requirements and you could probably sell them for what you paid. They go fast on my CL.