PDA

View Full Version : If you shared a bed how did you keep baby from falling out?

kaharris83
07-12-2013, 09:02 PM
DS2 has made it increasingly clear he has no plans to sleep in his crib. I'm nervous about putting him between DH and I and read its best if he sleeps on the other side of me. If you bed share how do you keep baby from falling out of bed? He's 8 months and rolls a bunch in his sleep.

JBaxter
07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
most nights he slept in the middle he fell out several times.

queenmama
07-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Our babies sleep/slept in the middle, from birth.

I have the opposite problem! I'd love DD to nap in the crib but she's never so much as sat in it! DH is currently working nights so she's in bed with him for naps, but when he's on day shift I'd rather not have to worry about her falling off of the bed. I just don't know how to make the transition!

Pyrodjm
07-12-2013, 10:02 PM
We side-carred our crib. I slept next to the crib and most nights the babies slept on my side near the crib (though rarely in it). We taught them to get off of h bed safely early on my flipping hem onto their bellies and having them slid down feet first. Each fell once on twice in babyhood but learned super fast to get off safely.

essnce629
07-12-2013, 10:13 PM
I slept in the middle so DBF didn't roll over on the kids and had a foam Go Bed Bug rail under the sheet on the side next to baby and at the top of the bed to prevent any cracks between mattress and wall/headboard.

Still-in-Shock
07-12-2013, 10:21 PM
Have you looked at a co-sleeper? They make one that is bigger than a bassinet which sounds like it should work. This way, your DC is close but you don't have to worry about someone rolling over and hurting a baby.

abh5e8
07-12-2013, 10:24 PM
we put a bed rail on my side of the bed, baby slept between the rail and myself. but in the past, we have put the baby between dh and me. i think that is a fine option, as long as you and dh don't have any of the other risk factors (ie. smoking, alcohol, drugs/rx, obesity, etc and no other children in the bed).

kaharris83
07-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Have you looked at a co-sleeper? They make one that is bigger than a bassinet which sounds like it should work. This way, your DC is close but you don't have to worry about someone rolling over and hurting a baby.

He spent his first 8 weeks in a Rock N Play. Then he moved to the Arm's Reach co-sleeper for a few weeks. The plan was to transition him to his crib beside our bed, however he's refused to sleep in his crib. He's too big for the co-sleeper now as he pulls himself up. We tried to side car the crib to our bed but since he's pulling up on the crib now we had to drop the mattress lower than our mattress is.

As it is now he spends 20% of the night in his swing beside our bed and 80% sleeping in my arms as I'm sleeping in bed sitting up. A few times I've put him down and he sleeps just fine in our bed, I just want to be sure he's safe from falling out. My arms are tired and he's getting too big for the swing. I found DS1 hanging out of the swing by his legs at 8 months so I know it's time to retire the swing.

ZeeBaby
07-12-2013, 10:52 PM
We actually used the changing pad in the middle of the bed. It formed a barrier around the baby so no one got too close. Having a king bed really helps.

twotimesblue
07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
We have a full-size Arm's Reach co-sleeper attached to the bed. Even when DS2 refused to sleep in that (which was often), it formed a 'barrier' along the side that would stop him from falling out if he slept next to me.

If I placed him in the middle of DH and I (we have a king bed) I would just remove all pillows/bedding etc from near the baby and sleep with my arm bent over the top of his head (forming a kind of inverted-V shaped barrier, if that makes sense?) That way I was reassured that if DH happened to roll from his designated side - which he never actually did - he would hit my arm and not the baby.

tropicalmom
07-13-2013, 09:50 AM
We used the Arm's Reach co-sleeper.

jennilynn
07-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Mattress on the floor. And most of the time, DH sleeps on the couch (he works nights anyway)

kaharris83
07-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks everyone!! I actually found a set of the Bed Bugs Bumpers on CL so we are giving those a try tonight.

daisymommy
07-13-2013, 10:47 PM
DH is on one side, then me, then baby, and Arms Reach Cosleeper on baby's side until they are old enough to risk crawling out.
After that, we use a bedrail on baby's side. I will link to one I really like as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPad