PDA

View Full Version : "Boy" Pattern Backpack for a Kindergarten Girl (or vice versa) = Teasing Magnet?

a2mom
07-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Sometimes my daughters like the "boy" patterns on backpacks or shoes: the LL Bean Shark backpack is an example. Is getting a kindergarten girl a shark backpack going to be fodder for teasing and gender-based bullying? Or will it be more like, "Cool - you have sharks on your backpack!" Any ideas? I don't want to teach my daughters that sharks, geckos and bugs are only for boys, but neither do I want to set them up for mean teasing before they're old enough to handle it.

elektra
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
At my DD's school at least, this would not lead to teasing at all, especially in K. I think a backpack is a great way to let her express herself as far as her accessory or fashion choices. I was a huge tomboy as a kid and always wanted to wear boy clothes. My mom seemingly never batted an eye. She probably did encourage me to wear dresses at one point but eventually gave up. So I can relate to your DD. :)
I think if you had a boy who wanted to wear dresses, or lots of pink or headbands or something, that could lead to teasing. But "boy" backpacks or even boy shoes are no biggie. I also think there is a double standard and girls are able to "get away with" having more boy stuff than boys are able to do with "girl" stuff.
I think those backpacks look really cute, BTW.

Nooknookmom
07-15-2013, 02:57 AM
I let mine use whatever they want. I was a HUGE tomboy never ever ever would I have used a "girl" pattern backpack!

Both have used both styles.

Kindra178
07-15-2013, 10:31 AM
I think the blue shark is unisex and very cute.

alirebco
07-15-2013, 10:33 AM
I just got that backpack for my son who is going into K this fall. It's awesome and GN IMO but I also think any animal is cool for either sex.

You have to call to order it since its not available to purchase online anymore. I think they're phasing that line out unfortunately.

Kindra178
07-15-2013, 12:00 PM
I just got that backpack for my son who is going into K this fall. It's awesome and GN IMO but I also think any animal is cool for either sex.

You have to call to order it since its not available to purchase online anymore. I think they're phasing that line out unfortunately.

It is still available:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70468?feat=critter%20backpack-SR0&page=critter-pack

alirebco
07-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Oh interesting! I had to call in my order because it was unavailable to order just two weeks ago.