PDA

View Full Version : Best post-partum pads

georgiegirl
07-13-2013, 03:55 PM
It's been 4 years since I had to deal with this issue, and I can't for the life of me remember what I used. And I don't wear pads when I did have my period, so I'm not up to date on which pads are the best in general. Any suggestions/recommendations are much appreciated.

I'm so not looking forward to the icky post-partum bleeding part.

sarahsthreads
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Well, it's been 5 years for me...so I'm not going to be too much help, but I vaguely remember buying some cheap (store brand) really thick overnight pads for the first few days and after things lightened up a bit I switched to overnight pads in my preferred (thin) brand. I can't remember what I used way back then, but lately I've used the Always Infinity, they're thin but really absorbent. I'm up for suggestions, too!

I don't remember it being too bad after the first few days, but maybe that's just time blurring the memory...you know, like how I don't really remember labor being all *that* bad, which is why I went ahead and signed up for another kidlet. ;)

Sarah :)

JenChem
07-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Hospital supply for first couple days then Always Infinity super and overnights.

MamaMolly
07-13-2013, 07:58 PM
I used the biggest fluffiest longest ones I can find in the drugstore.

queenmama
07-13-2013, 08:15 PM

That! With wings! I used those until the lochia subsided and then switched to regular pads. It was rough, since I hadn't worn pads since I was postpartum with DS (12 years!) but I got over it. It was really the last thing on my mind during those exhausting first weeks! ;)

jam224
07-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Hospital supply for first couple days then Always Infinity super and overnights.

:yeahthat: Exactly. Always Infinity were great!

mikala
07-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I got a small package of Depends and some overnight maxi pads with wings (always infinity?) after that. The depends were great for laboring at home and the ride to the hospital after my water broke and I used them postpartum for a day or so after I came home. I maybe used 10 total but they were really useful.

TxCat
07-13-2013, 09:38 PM

I didn't really like the hospital pads because no wings - wings keep things from getting as messy for me. But, the Always Infinity overnights were the way to go. I felt like I had lochia forever - it lasted a good 3-4 weeks, and those pads were key the first couple of weeks. I think I switched to panty liners maybe around week 3 or 4.

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
I used hospital pads for the first three days IIRC and then switched to Stayfree Overnights with wings or Stayfree Ultra Thin long with wings. With DD2 I used the thick hospital pads and then they sent me home with some Always overnight pads w/wings that were nice, and I was really suprised because I had never liked the dry weave on the Always pads they gave us in school so I had been using either Kotex or Stayfree for years by then. So for her I used a mix of Stay Free and the Always. I was in pads for about 3 weeks pp each time so I really got used to wearing them again.

essnce629
07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
I got a small package of Depends and some overnight maxi pads with wings (always infinity?) after that. The depends were great for laboring at home and the ride to the hospital after my water broke and I used them postpartum for a day or so after I came home. I maybe used 10 total but they were really useful.

I LOVED my Depends as well and will definitely use them again if I ever have a #3. I used them for the first few days when things were super heavy and loved that I could just take them off and throw every thing away and not have to worry about leaking on the bed, getting underwear dirty, etc.

bostonsmama
07-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Are the Always Infinity the ones that feel like you've got a layer of neoprene between your legs? Ugh. Whichever ones those are, I hated them. I felt like it didn't allow that area down there to heal and breathe and that it trapped moisture.

I'm sure I wore large Always overnights with wings and the gigantic butt piece for nights and thicker, fluffier ones for around the house (Stayfree), and thinner ones just for going out shopping where you didn't want to look like the girls from Kotex Classic (Tina Fey's SNL commercial parody of the other garter-belt pads). I swear, though, the BEST pads I've ever worn came from Japan from my Japanese SIL...and the poor girl...when she came to America she decried the "dryweave" and scratchiness of all the pads and even diapers for her kids. I guess they're all about soft over there!

BabyBearsMom
07-15-2013, 02:27 PM
I really liked the Always Infiniti pads. They don't bunch up like some of the other ones and move with you. I had a 3rd degree tear with DD2 and the ice pack/pads at the hospital were a godsend. I strongly recommend asking for as many of those as you can get your hands on.

kaharris83
07-15-2013, 02:49 PM
I just used the biggest, cheapest, store brand ones with wings.

BunnyBee
07-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Yes! Maxi, extra long, overnight... None of the ultra thin ones.

Tondi G
07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I didn't like the always cause they were more plastic-y feeling .... I wanted a more cotton-y cover. I think I bought Stayfree. Thin, with wings... might have been overnight or extra long.

flashy09
07-15-2013, 09:17 PM
I wore Depends the first week!

todzwife
07-15-2013, 11:09 PM
I ought a small pack of depends for the first couple days, a pack of the huge overnight pads that are about 16 inches long I the target brand, a box of overnight infinity and a box of heavy infinity. Hoping that's enough!

shawnandangel
07-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Can anyone comment on whether the Always Infinity feel like other Always I have used nd what a pp mentioned : do they have that top plasticky feel to them?

I always felt that Always brand did not allow for breathing and made me smell unless I cleaned myself with soap and water after changing each pad.

I can't remember what I used last time but want something with wings that feels more like cotton against my skin.

lizzywednesday
07-16-2013, 09:10 AM
I used Always Infinity overnights and have recommended them to friends ... and gave them to my SIL when her DS1 was born. I didn't have any issues with bleeding on sheets/underwear/pajamas, but I also had a C-section & was in the hospital for most of the post-partum bleeding anyway. (And I changed pads quite frequently, but I think that I was able to do this because I don't have any other kids to run after!)

For her 2nd, I sent her alcohol-free witch hazel, but no pads, figuring she could definitely get whatever pads she preferred once she was home.

lizzywednesday
07-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Can anyone comment on whether the Always Infinity feel like other Always I have used nd what a pp mentioned : do they have that top plasticky feel to them?

I always felt that Always brand did not allow for breathing and made me smell unless I cleaned myself with soap and water after changing each pad.

I can't remember what I used last time but want something with wings that feels more like cotton against my skin.

No, the Always Infinity do feel more like cotton - they do not have that "dri-weave" top layer, but that doesn't mean fluid sits on top. To the touch, they feel kind of like foam sports wrap, but not while wearing. (They are my pad of choice.)

jam224
07-16-2013, 09:33 AM

To me, the Always Infinity felt like a thin layer of foam. They didn't bother me at all and I preferred wearing something that was thinner.

The best tip I got was to just use the detachable shower head to rinse and cleanse down there whenever I could hop in the shower.