PDA

View Full Version : How to find a private school?

Kestrel
07-13-2013, 07:33 PM
We're starting to looking into schools for DS now 4.5). I am not very thrilled with the local public school district.

What's the first step in finding another option? Is there some kind of listing, or place schools must be licensed through? We are in Washington state, if that helps.

We are hoping for a school that is not religious-based, but know that may not be possible.

I'm really at a loss. Anyone with a good starting point? All of my local friends/family have highschoolers or older. (That's what happens with a late-in-life baby.)

megs4413
07-13-2013, 07:35 PM
You can search great schools for private schools in an area. You might also check out the city data forums for your area.

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Ask the preschool or daycare, if you attended. I'm surprised your preschool didn't host (or direct you to one in the community) a school choice night or school fair. Maybe you don't have as many choices as we do. Even without those informational sessions, I often picked the preschool director's brain. Many families have been trough the preschool and the staff always stayed in the loop to see how the next schools were. Very good resource.

queenmama
07-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Maybe check the independent schools association:
http://www.nais.org/Pages/default.aspx

Our school is accredited through them and I chose the school just from the info on its website! I know that sounds crazy but I knew it was where I wanted Henry to start kindergarten and we've been there ever since. He's in 8th grade now and the school is everything the website promised and more.

HannaAddict
07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Not sure where you are in WA state, but if in Seattle area, there are many, many secular private schools. And hundred of applicants for each space so put your hard hat on and get ready to write some essays! Greatschools.com has listings, Red Tricycle web site has listings, the Pacific NAIS site has lists, and I would ask other parents. If you are in outlying area, then I'm sure there are some but probably not as many as Seattle and might not be as incredibly competitive. Worse than college or grad school, really. Good luck.