PDA

View Full Version : Saige American Girl Movie Tonight on NBC at 7pm to 9pm...

mom2binsd
07-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Just remembered in time to set the DVR, it runs 2 hours.

anonomom
07-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Ack! I knew it was coming on soon but wasn't sure when. DD1 just read the book and really liked it. Thanks so much for the heads-up. We'll be missing the first 25 minutes, but at least I'll have some of it taped.

baymom
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
We set the DVR last night--DD is soooo excited to watch it!!

KrisM
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Darn, we meant to watch!

Melaine
07-13-2013, 08:41 PM
My schedule said 8 so I told the girls we'd have to skip it. 10 pm is too late for them!

Pennylane
07-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I rented this last night for my dd and a friend to watch, but my dd's friend said it was too sad and they turned it off after about 30 minutes or so. I'm taping it right now, curious to watch it with dd tomorrow.

Ann

Melaine
07-13-2013, 08:44 PM
I would appreciate reviews (def. interested about the "sadness" factor). I would like to rent it for the girls.

georgiegirl
07-13-2013, 09:09 PM
We saw it in the theaters on Wednesday. (Free screening and we got free popcorn, drink and poster.). Good for my 7 year old DD, but not hold the interest of a 5 year old.

Not sure why someone said it was sad. It deals with friendship jealousy, non-life threatening injury of a family member, being nervous about performing in front of people, facing your fears, fighting for a cause you believe in, working together, etc. there is girl drama, but also lots of apologies.

Cuckoomamma
07-13-2013, 10:46 PM
We saw it in the theatre, as well. Our girls are very sensitive and haven't seen many movies at all. This one was fine for them. I was worried when the grandmother fell that we were headed into the usual death-of-someone-important zone, but the grandmother ends up being okay. I thought it was a little slow, but not sad.

mom2binsd
07-13-2013, 11:57 PM
A few of the movies deal with some pretty serious stuff, if I remember correctly Molly's movie was during WWII and the teachers fiance dies, in Felicity there is class division/the little girls whose mother had died, then the dad dies, Samantha had orphans etc....but they are good to open dialogue with your DD, we watch together the first time so I can answer any questions. I thought the costumes, scenery etc was all well done in the one's I mentioned, I heard bad reviews for the McKenna DVD though.

anonomom
07-14-2013, 12:04 AM
McKenna wasn't bad, but the main character is kind of a brat, as is her best friend. My girls liked it well enough.

MMMommy
07-14-2013, 12:22 AM
We really liked the Kit Kittredge movie. A much better cast, good plot, just better acted overall. We rented Saige last week and didn't think it was very good. Saige spoiler criticism below.......

So the big finale goal was to raise $5000. Didn't the song and dance number look awfully expensive with an elaborate stage set? That alone looked well over the $5000 they were trying to desperately raise! I know realism isn't the highlight, but.....

Melaine
07-14-2013, 06:55 AM
We have seen Molly, Samantha and Kit and really liked all those movies. We are reading through the books and I think they are SO great. (I read all of them as a kid, and loved them....that is the ones that were available then). I think the books are giving DDs' some historical framework for basic events and some fairly gentle introductions to heavier topics like race, illness, death, politics, war as well as some big-kid coming of age lessons on friendship, responsibility, and growing up. I love seeing my girls really engaged, excited and reluctant for reading time to end. The girls are approaching age 7 and seem to be enjoying the books much more than they did when we tried them a couple a year or so ago. And for me....what a huge relief after reading a few Magic Treehouse and Magic Fairies and *shudder* a couple of thrifted Junie B. Jones books.

maybeebaby08
07-14-2013, 09:38 AM
DD1 is 5, she really likes the dance and music in Saige. She hasn't said anything about it being sad or asked a lot of questions (which is usually what she does when she worries about something or it sticks with her.)

Haha, I thought the same thing about the end concert. It looked expensive to put on! I liked the Kit movie better but I don't expect a lot of the Girl of the year movies. I do like Saige better then McKenna though.

Neatfreak
07-14-2013, 10:15 AM
DD1 is nine, and her comment was that the movie was long (LOL - we let her stay up to watch it as we don't have a PVR). My grown-up opinion: the musical numbers were hilariously channeling "High School Musical". The productation values were not quite up to the standard of the other AG movies (we have them all) - a lot of the horse-riding scenes featuring close-ups of Saige or Jane Seymour looked really fake, and even DD commented that Saige's hot air balloon didn't look like it was actually real. (Granted, I'm not sure that most of the AG movies actually use "special effects"). But the young actors could definitely sing and we though that the costumes were very cute!

AnnieW625
07-14-2013, 10:50 AM
We recorded it and will watch it probably today.

DD1 has seen Molly, Kit, and McKenna movies. DD1 liked the Kit movie the least, and I think that is because she didn't get the whole depression story line. Both DDs love the McKenna movie and it was easy for them to understand. I think it is a good kid movie and like with all AG stories there is always some sort of conflict and one character does come off as being bratty, I think that is par for the course. Most of the movies except Kit's movie were direct to DVD release or were tv movies whereas with Kit that was a full fledged promoted theatrical release so there is going to be a lot more funds available for production and bigger stars will be used. So in short comparing Kit to the other movies is like comparing apples to oranges.

WitMom
07-14-2013, 10:57 AM
My girls liked Saige well enough. I wouldn't say it was a home-run movie, but it was fine. As far as scary or sad, my girls are super sensitive and the whole ambulance scene with the grandma was sort of hard for them.

And Neatfreak, I said the same thing about the riding scenes with Jane Seymour.

octmom
07-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I recorded it and when my DD watched it this morning, we learned that he news cut in right at the end to report on the Zimmerman verdict. The plot was resolved already, but DD was annoyed.

MMMommy
07-14-2013, 12:08 PM
....DD commented that Saige's hot air balloon didn't look like it was actually real. (Granted, I'm not sure that most of the AG movies actually use "special effects")!

DD1 made the same comment about the Saige hot air balloon scene. Said it looked very fake, like they were not really moving or in an actual balloon. Funny.

georgiegirl
07-14-2013, 02:08 PM
The most annoying part is that the last 5 minutes were cut off thanks to the Zimmerman verdict. Seriously...the audience of this movie is girls aged 5-10...just hold off for 5 minutes and let them watch the end of their movie.