PDA

View Full Version : Banana Boat Kids and EWG site - error?

maestramommy
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
We have been using Blue Lizard and Episencial Sunny Screen in NH, but when we came out to SoCal to visit I was concerned that spf 30 wasn't enough protection. Target sells Banana Boat Kids (not the natural version) Tear Free, spf 50. It's only Titanium dioxide and Zinc Oxide, which I felt was bonus, so I bought it. Goes on really easy too, being thinner than most other barrier sunscreens.

so this morning I look for it on the EWG website, and find it as a rating of 6. Says that the UVA protection is poor, and UVA/UVB balance is poor. So now I'm really concerned. Until I scroll down to look at their ratings of the individual ingredients.

It lists the 3 O and the H chemical sunscreens, which this doesn't have. Only lists the Titanium Dioxide, but in the wrong concentration, leaves out the Zinc oxide. Then lists 5 parabens, which are NOT on the ingredients list on the back of my tube.

What gives?? The only difference I between my tube and the one in the pic is that mine has a blue cap and the pic has a pink cap. Otherwise the labeling is the same.

TwoBees
07-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Could it be an older listing? The major sunscreen brands seem to change their formulas every year.

Also, can you find a link for this sunscreen? I'm interested in trying it out, I haven't seen it (I've only found Coppertone tear free and it's not 100% physical).

Ceepa
07-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Kris had the same question

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?462547-Sunscreen-ratings-why-are-these-so-different

maestramommy
07-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Could it be an older listing? The major sunscreen brands seem to change their formulas every year.

Also, can you find a link for this sunscreen? I'm interested in trying it out, I haven't seen it (I've only found Coppertone tear free and it's not 100% physical).

this the link to the listing on EWG.
http://www.ewg.org/2013sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/495871/Banana_Boat_Kids_Tear_Free_Sunscreen_Lotion%2C_SPF _50%2B/

I agree with pp on Kris's thread about brands changing their ingredients. Last year we used Coppertone Water Babies for sensitive skin. This year I was about to use it again, until I see they added Avobenzene and Homosomething to their ingredients. WTF?? One of the reasons we bought them last year was because they only had the 3 Os along with the oxides. Grrrrr.

twowhat?
07-15-2013, 08:32 AM
That's interesting...but I am going to have to look for what you bought at Target! I bought a couple tubes of the Natural Reflect version (also found at Target, and EWG 3 though I honestly don't care about EWG ratings when it comes to sunscreen) and we have really been liking it because it's easier to spread. DH even commented on it. So now I'm on a quest for any easier-to-spread physical sunblocks.

elektra
07-15-2013, 09:49 AM
I also found that for instance the ocean potion I got with a 4 rating actually had Fragrance per the bottle, but that had had not been factored into the rating based on the ingredients on the site.
So I think there are some ratings that are not up to date. Just gotta try your best.