PDA

View Full Version : If you are putting in a pool, what features would you want? Safety and otherwise.

smilequeen
07-14-2013, 01:22 PM
We are going to be looking at quotes soon so we can start in the fall (we want the pool for next summer).

Right now, my boys want a slide.

I want an automatic cover with a keypad.

We want a covered area with a very small outdoor kitchen (really just want the grill and a small fridge for waters, etc.).

We already have a pool height fence enclosing our yard.

Just to give an idea, this is the part of the yard we would like to use

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/9332_1241613765460_6836166_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/9332_1241613645457_5176415_n.jpg

We could also potentially relocate or downsize on the play area, but I'd rather not.
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/9332_1241613685458_5508563_n.jpg

Would you put up more fencing around the pool area? Or is a good cover and maybe an alarm good?

Philly Mom
07-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Personally I would put up an extra fence. I wouldn't want kids running from the play area to the house to accidentally land in the pool. Beautiful space back there. I am sure it will be lovely when done.

elbenn
07-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I know someone who has a pool in a very small yard, but even though the yard is small they have a small little cabana and it is really super useful. The kids can use the bathroom in the cabana and can also change there so they don't have to traipse wet through the house. Their cabana is only about 10'x6', and then they have an arbor that comes off the cabana and that's where they have a grill area and bar with seating. During the winter, they store their pool toys and supplies in the cabana.

twowhat?
07-14-2013, 01:46 PM
I would have an extra fence separating the pool area from the patio/play area. Makes it easy to ensure that supervising folks and swimmers are in the same area and non-swimmers stay out while the pool is open.

Totally envious of your gorgeous lot!!!!

smilequeen
07-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks :) I'll definitely look at adding to the fence then. That would help keep my dogs out of the area too I guess.

I would love to do a bathroom out there as our basement bathroom is not near the door at all...will have to see what that would take :)

mackmama
07-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Safety cover with key in diff area
Infinity edge
Sitting bench where kids can play in pool
Separate and small hot tub (fast to heat)

twowhat?
07-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Make sure it has a self-closing, self-latching gate with some sort of baby gate-like opening mechanism. That way if you have a pool party or something, the adults who are supervising the swimmers can be in the pool area, and then you don't have to worry about a toddler or baby crawling around in the play area/patio if you need to run in to get something.

We just have a mesh safety fence around the pool (yard not big enough to have a fence separating patio area from pool) but it has a self closing self latching gate that opens in such a way that only a really determined toddler with a significant time on her hands could figure out (it would involve having to drag a chair over, climb up, and then lift the latch upwards and pull the gate OUTWARDS - which the chair used to climb up high enough to lift the latch would presumably prevent).

sarahsthreads
07-14-2013, 05:08 PM
I'd caution you about the slide. I believe that they're considered much more dangerous than diving boards (which we have) because kids can slip/fall off the top (which can be pretty high up) onto the concrete apron around the pool. (Basically, if there's horseplay/shoving.) We looked into replacing our diving board with one and our local code does not allow them.

I would absolutely want a fence around it. Not quite sure how the automatic covers work, but in the heat of the summer we can't keep any sort of cover on or we risk algae growth. We leave ours uncovered and have it fenced off from the rest of the yard/house.

LOVE the idea of a small cabana, I hate the mopping up that comes with kids going back in the house all dripping wet to use the bathroom or change after!

Sarah :)

Tondi G
07-14-2013, 05:46 PM
If I we building a pool I would love to have a shallow area with a hole for a large umbrella in it.... great for small kiddos. We rented a house in Palm Springs and the pool had this and it was nice.
I would also put in a slide.... my kids would LOVE to have a pool with a slide. Another rental property had a really cool swim up bar feature .... they had a "palapa" over the bar and it had an outdoor kitchen of sorts with a small fridge and the BBQ set up.... my kids thought that was such a neat idea! http://www.vrbo.com/388382

Check out this pool with water slide ... my 8 year old begged to rent this place when he saw the pics http://www.vrbo.com/434510

I would put in extra fencing to keep kids and pets safe! Having an accessible bathroom/changing room and outdoor shower would be great too!

sdoyle
07-14-2013, 10:02 PM
We are doing the same thing this fall so I'll be watching this thread. So far my list is a slide and a built in hot tub with water feature. I love the sound of water falling and think I would sit out there and read a book in a lounge chair even without kids around if I could hear falling water. LOVE the cabana idea as well. I don't think I could get it plumbed for a toilet but considered an outdoor shower for rinsing off. I would also love a saline pool but the kids really don't like the salt so we may forgo that for now.

Can I ask how you decided on shape? I have been floored with all the choices available now as far as shape, type of pool, type of clorination system, etc. It's a bit overwhelming!

Stacy

erosenst
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
We put one in two years ago. A few thoughts:

*We have electric cover. The key is in a lo K box outside. DD doesn't have code. Very convenient to have it there.

*We have a fence, but it doesn't lock. Lots are pretty big here, and we keep cover on when we're not using. We didn't build til DD was 7,so we're fine with that.

*We have pretty big deck. Can't tell you how many people comment on how nice it is to have room. Make yours as big as you can/have space for. Think about room for table with umbrella in an area on the pool deck.... Adds some interest to have a 'bump out'.

*If you do a slide, have a water spigot (?) that feeds water down it. Also convenient to have spigot near the pool for refilling.

* Use the construction to put another spigot somewhere on the 'far' side of the pool to clean up spills, bird droppings, etc.

*Have electrical for pumps for the cover, music, etc. We put in two outlets, and in hindsight should have had a third.

* If possible, make the deep end visible from your kitchen. As kids get older, still nice to be able to see them when you run inside.

* Don't waste money on the 'fountain' (water arcs) feature. They're loud... And the water down the slide provide that same 'moving water' sound. Wish we had saved the money.

*Think about where you'll store the toys. We got a big deck box and fortunately had room, but it was more luck than planning. Same for trash can.

* Look at shademobile umbrella bases. Best price is at Costco if you belong. Surprised how many people want shade.

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typing errors I've made, and auto correct 'fixes' I missed.

mom2binsd
07-14-2013, 10:24 PM
I would keep in mind too that your children will not be small for long and you want as much usable pool as possible, so really shallow ends aren't too useful for small backyard pools. I would also think hard about the surface around the pool, chose a material that is nonslip (but not rough on feet) and doesn't get super hot. I also love slides vs a diving board (I like diving boards if your pool is 12feet deep but most aren't deep enough).

I think an automatic pool cover is nice, but I think I prefer a fence, although each space is different.

wellyes
07-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Saltwater! I've been swimming in a saltwater pool all summer - it feels great and doesn't have that chlorine smell.

reneed
07-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I second saltwater. I have used every system and converted to salt last year and I love it. It's so easy to maintain and no irritation to skin. I would never go back!

twowhat?
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah I have to second saltwater. Make sure all your pool materials and surrounding landscaping are compatible! I would love to convert our pool to salt but I am not sure that the sandstone edge will be able to handle it.

A1icia
07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
I love the idea of something like this!

Our neighborhood pool has a kiddie pool at one end with a sun canopy over it. It is great.

Binkandabee
07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Our neighbors just put in a saltwater pool and they have an attached hot tub with a waterfall that spills over into the pool. It's absolutely gorgeous!

almostamom
07-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Do your research on saltwater pools. It may be a regional issue, but the largest and very reputable pool builder in our area no longer recommends them. Our neighbors all put them in and they've all switched back to chlorine. We are building a pool right now. We were very fortunate to have a designer who sat with us and really listened to what we wanted and how we planned on using the pool and designed the pool based on that. DH wants to do laps, DS will have lots of friends over to play in it, we tend to play a lot of pool games when we're at my parents pool so a play pool made more sense than a diving pool. He even considered our heights for the depths. He was able to incorporate our existing outdoor kitchen, fireplace, and built-in seating into the design as well. Our county has specific requirements for alarms on doors that lead to the backyard and self-latching gates - I was honestly surprised that we weren't required to have a separate fence around it. We were able to go and test surfaces for around the pool at their outdoor showroom to see which felt the hottest and what we liked and to look at the different coatings on the pool (plaster vs. pebbletec). I also looked at a lot of pools online to get an idea of what I liked and what I didn't like as far as shapes, features, etc. and we went to look at pools at model homes. Again, this may be a regional issue (I live in the dry, hot desert), but we've seen a lot of pools with faux rock waterfalls that are not lasting very long. The "rock" formations are not holding up. One friend couldn't even find someone to fix hers and ended up having to remodel her pool (it was only 8 years old). If you plan on being in your home long-term (and why would you ever leave that beautiful view!), think about how your boys would use the pool as teens. Have fun - I'm sure whatever you decide on, your pool will be beautiful and your family will enjoy it!

tropicalmom
07-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Watching this for ideas. Our new house is perfect for us except it doesn't have a pool so plan to work on design when we're settled. I want a beach entry but have been told a sunning platform is a better option.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

twowhat?
07-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Do your research on saltwater pools. It may be a regional issue, but the largest and very reputable pool builder in our area no longer recommends them. Our neighbors all put them in and they've all switched back to chlorine.

Did he give specific reasons??

lovin2shop
07-15-2013, 10:37 PM
We just put in a salt water pool. It was interesting to hear the differing opinions amongst the pool builders on them. Some think it is the best, and others will not do them. From what I gleaned, the most important thing is to do your homework and make sure your surrounding materials are compatible. Also, there is a very big savings with a salt pool on a routine basis for chemical treatment, but there could be bigger expenditures down the road for a quicker equipment deterioration. My parents have had a salt water pool for over 10 years with no major problems and I really love swimming in it, so it was an easy decision for me. For chlorine pools, an ozone system helps reduce the chlorine cost, but we have several friends that have been disappointed with their effectiveness.

My boys have eczema, and the salt is good for them, but we do have one friend whose son has flare ups from salt pools. I really just love that they can go for a dip in the evening, and I don't feel so much pressure to get them showered afterwards.

arivecchi
07-16-2013, 10:10 AM
No advice bit how exciting! We plan to put in a pool when the kids are older and better swimmers, so I may be coming to you then for advice! :)