PDA

View Full Version : Carlsbad and Legoland and...?

sidmand
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Every year for the past few my Dad has traded his timeshare into the Four Seasons Residence in Carlsbad. Since he doesn't want to go this year he offered it to us, so we are unexpectedly going to Carlsbad in November!

The DCs would love Legoland...is it a place you need two days for? They are 5 and 8.

We're also thinking the zoo...not sure about the Wild Animal Park. DH and I had a semi-private caravan ride there a few years ago and were so spoiled by that we're not sure we'd do the "typical" day!

Any other must sees or must dos? Our kids aren't much for museums or adventures. I'm figuring on a day just hanging out by the pool (though maybe too cold). We'll be going the week before Thanksgiving.

mom2binsd
07-15-2013, 02:19 AM
Not many folks here are fans of Legoland, it's pretty expensive for what it is and the 8 year old might be a little bored. you only need 1 day for sure.

I would do the Safari Park (Wild Animal Park has a new name) or maybe SeaWorld- just wait for the morning traffic to clear and head down, it shouldn't be too crowded at that time. The Zoo is another possiblity, totally different experience than the Safari Park.

It might be chilly in November, or warm, you just never know.

What about touring the ships, I think the Midway has a cool tour.

Cabrillo Monument is also pretty cool.

Most of these are down in San Diego, but if you wait until the am commute it won't be too bad.

sidmand
07-15-2013, 09:35 AM
Thank you for your help!

I think DCs will love Legoland. I saw some of the posts but we can get tickets through DH's work or the buy one adult get child free and figured out the cost wasn't so bad. Good to know we can do it in a day. Both kids love Legos and I think they'll just like walking around!

We thought about Seaworld...been to the one in FL and for some reason DH'S doesn't want to do it again. I don't know why because DS loved it. Maybe I'll try and convince him.

mommyp
07-15-2013, 04:02 PM
DD loves Legoland, if your kids are Lego fans like mine it will be a hit. DH and I have fun there too. One day is definitely enough though.
I'd do the zoo or Safari park for the second day. It won't be hot in November and the animals will probably be more active. I think SeaWorld is so expensive, so if you're not all excited about it the zoo or Safari park might be better.
If you are going the days right before Thanksgiving, everything will be crazy because schools are out that whole week, but if it's the week prior you'll probably be fine.

sariana
07-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Do your DC like trains? You can ride the train up the coast from Carlsbad and visit us here in Orange County.

You can visit the tide pools at Dana Point. Even in November the water should be warm enough for that.

We've never been to Legoland, so I can't comment on that.

Tondi G
07-15-2013, 05:13 PM
My boys love LEGOLAND. Even at age 10.5/ 11 (the last time we visited) my DS1 had a great time. They have some workshops you can sign up for to work with the robots. They have a few roller coaster rides that will be fun. They both enjoyed driving the cars (we fibbed on DS2's age and said he was 6 when we went when he was 5, so he could drive the bigger cars... as long as your kiddo can reach the pedals you may want to do the same as the cars for 3-5 yr olds are tiny and go around in a small little circle).

My 8 yr old LOVES Sea World. He asks to go every time he sees a commercial on tv. He loves feeding the bat rays and sea lions and all the exhibits and shows. It is a little expensive but we always have a great time so it's worth it when we make the trip down to visit. My boys have been asking to go to the Safari Park since they found out they have a zipline now.

It may be cold around Thanksgiving or you could get lucky and we'll have a heat wave and it will be beautiful! I haven't been but have heard that the beaches in Carlsbad are nice. more about building some sandcastles and getting knee deep in the water! You could go down to SD and visit some tidepools. We went to the USS Midway and it was interesting but my boys got bored with it ... until we got on the flight deck and got to go inside the big helicopters and saw the fighter planes etc. There is a fair amount of climbing stairs and seeing the tight bunks etc inside the ship. They have headphones so you can listen to the guided tour. Personally for me, I would rather save the $40 to $50 bucks and do something else with my kids. I have visited this site a few times and got some good info http://www.localwally.com/

In Carlsbad there is a yummy pizza place right in Carlsbad village. Pizza Port. We had delicious BBQ chicken pizza, Cheese pizza, Caesar salad and DH's cousins ordered some wings (I think BBQ) and my older DS LOVED them. They brew beer and they have house made rootbeer on tap for the kids (my boys thought that was neat). http://www.pizzaport.com/locations/pizza-port-carlsbad/ Inside they have rows of huge picnic tables (we sat outside on the patio once too) and you just find a space to sit ... everyone was very friendly!

essnce629
07-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm originally from San Diego and my mom still lives there so we visit often.

DS1 is turning 10 in August and still LOVES Legoland! For the past 3 years he's asked to go for his birthday instead of having a party. If you were going in the summer I'd suggest doing a 2 day pass so you could spend a whole day at the water park, but in November I think the water park is closed and it's too cold anyways, so a 1 day pass is fine. I'd skip the Legoland Aquarium since it's tiny and we went through the entire thing in 30 minutes!

DS1 doesn't like Sea World any more, but if your kids haven't been then they would probably really enjoy it. I know DS2 (4) would.

My best friend likes taking her 6 year old DD to the Birch aquarium down there, but I've never been (DBF took DS1 the one time they went). http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/

My kids still like the Wild Animal Park. DS1 isn't a fan of the zoo anymore!

Belmont Park in Mission Beach would be fun for the kids. They have rock and rope climbing, bumper cars, an arcade, laser tag, an indoor pool, miniature golf, etc.
http://www.belmontpark.com/

The Reuban H. Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park is really fun for kids too and they have really nice IMAX movies as well.
http://www.rhfleet.org/

essnce629
07-15-2013, 07:40 PM
In Carlsbad there is a yummy pizza place right in Carlsbad village. Pizza Port. We had delicious BBQ chicken pizza, Cheese pizza, Caesar salad and DH's cousins ordered some wings (I think BBQ) and my older DS LOVED them. They brew beer and they have house made rootbeer on tap for the kids (my boys thought that was neat). http://www.pizzaport.com/locations/pizza-port-carlsbad/ Inside they have rows of huge picnic tables (we sat outside on the patio once too) and you just find a space to sit ... everyone was very friendly!

In high school we spent many nights hanging out at Pizza Port! My best friend worked there for a time as well! Great memories!

Tondi G
07-15-2013, 08:33 PM
In high school we spent many nights hanging out at Pizza Port! My best friend worked there for a time as well! Great memories!

I wish someone would open a Pizza Port up here in LA!!!! mmmm ... now I'm craving pizza and chicken wings! :)