PDA

View Full Version : Would you keep this allergy appt?

MSWR0319
07-15-2013, 08:21 AM
I have an allergy appt scheduled for DS2 with DS1's allergist on the same day DS1 has his checkup. I scheduled it months ago so we could get the appts together since the allergist is 2 hrs away. At the time DS2 had MSPI and what I suspected was an egg issue since his diaper was full of mucus and blood a few days after me eating eggs ( I was on an elimination diet, so I know there was no milk), every single time. DS2 is now 15 months old and seems to have outgrown the MSPI. The pedi ran an allergy test at a year because he did break out in eczema the first time we reintroduced milk. The blood test also checked for egg which came back negative. I figured I would introduce eggs and and make sure he was ok, then cancel the appt. Well, this morning was the second time he's tried egg on it's own (has had baked egg in things) and he had two red blotches around his mouth this time after eating one tiny bite of scrambled egg. He wouldn't touch it after that and kept throwing it. So, would you keep the appt? I think I"ll boil an egg and try it again in the morning, to see if he'll try it that way. DH thinks we can cancel since the blood test came back negative. I was feeling ok till we had the second trial of real egg this morning and ended in the small blotches, which is how DS1 presented with peanut butter the first time. If we hadn't had the blood test I would go. I know reaction trumps results, but I just don't want to be over reacting. It's really hard to get these appts, so I don't want to waste the allergist's time. Would you keep the appt?

elizabethkott
07-15-2013, 08:56 AM
I would keep the appointment.
Our allergist has told us that the retest isn't always correct, and that the real test is the reintroduction. If he had what you think is a reaction to actual eggs, then I would keep the appointment, and bring real eggs with me to the appointment. This is what we'll be doing with strawberries later in the summer (fun, fun!) for J's reintroduction test. If you bring the eggs with you, you can feed them to your dc right there in the office, and the allergist can see for her/himself what the reaction is from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

candaceb
07-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Yes. Blood tests are not 100% and it seems like a reaction to me. FWIW my mom still feels guilty because I was punished for throwing fish on the floor when I was 2 and it turned out that I have an anaphylactic allergy to it.

crl
07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Reaction trumps testing. I would keep the appointment.

Catherine

Kindra178
07-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Keep. The allergy stuff is fluid. Ds1 started with a mild skin reaction when he ingested peanuts, similar to what you describe. His skin testing at the allergist showed a moderate reaction, while his blood remained zero for over two years. Now his blood tests establish allergies to peanuts and various tree nuts. The allergist will also test IGE, which is even more telling than the specific blood tests.

ett
07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I agree with PPs. Keep the appointment.