PDA

View Full Version : Do you pick up your trash or leave it....

Pennylane
07-15-2013, 10:44 AM
at the movies ? We went yesterday and I was surprised at all the trash left in the theater when we left. My DC and I automatically grab our trash and throw it out as we leave. What do you do?

Ann

Clarity
07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
We grab all the trash we can but don't try to sweep up the fallen popcorn.

pomegranate
07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
We take all our trash as well as put the booster seat back. I'm also surprised at the amount of trash left behind when the lights go on at the end of the movie.

mom2khj
07-15-2013, 10:52 AM

:yeahthat:

kristenk
07-15-2013, 10:58 AM

:yeahthat: I think my vote should be a combination between the 1st and 3rd options. I try to make sure that we take all of our trash with us, but don't worry about picking up stray popcorn pieces from the floor. If we've had a big popcorn spill (and we did a few weeks ago when I accidentally turned the popcorn bag over and ended up with a ton in my open purse...), I'll try to move the spilled popcorn so it's more under our seats so that people don't slip on it when they leave the movie.

vludmilla
07-15-2013, 10:58 AM
We absolutely throw out our own trash at the movies. I cannot fathom finding it acceptable to toss my garbage on the floor for someone else (employee or not) to pick up for me.

petesgirl
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
This is us too. I do try to not leave a horrible mess and actually don't really like movie popcorn anyway so we rarely have it. I think that is rude though for people to just leave their trash!

Pennylane
07-15-2013, 11:04 AM
:yeahthat: I think my vote should be a combination between the 1st and 3rd options. I try to make sure that we take all of our trash with us, but don't worry about picking up stray popcorn pieces from the floor. If we've had a big popcorn spill (and we did a few weeks ago when I accidentally turned the popcorn bag over and ended up with a ton in my open purse...), I'll try to move the spilled popcorn so it's more under our seats so that people don't slip on it when they leave the movie.

I am not talking about food as much as trash. I was disgusted with all the popcorn buckets, napkins, drink cups, etc. I would never expect someone to clean up spilt popcorn.

Ann

crl
07-15-2013, 11:11 AM
This is interesting to me. My understanding is that traditionally one left trash at movies and ball games and it was part of the service that employees cleaned up after the event--sort of like a table gets bused at a restaurant. They were paid to do this. A paying job is a good thing. Sort of like sales associates at stores are paid in part to put clothes away after people try them on. I actually think this is a bit like the trend to self service check outs at the grocery store and self service gas stations and so on. Businesses expect patrons to do the "work" and hire fewer people. So I really don't think it is disgusting or lazy to leave trash behind at those venues.

All that said, we do usually grab our trash and pitch it on the way out. But I don't worry about spills and if my hands are full and the preschooler is screaming I'm not going back for a cup if I missed it.

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
07-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes, as far back as I can remember for movies. However, just in recent years for MLB baseball games.

wellyes
07-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Of course I grab my trash.
My understanding is that traditionally one left trash at movies and ball games and it was part of the service that employees cleaned up after the event--sort of like a table gets bused at a restaurant. They were paid to do this. A paying job is a good thing.

I think it's more like fast food. If you leave your trash and tray on the table, a worker will take care of it, but you're not doing them any favors.

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Tis is interesting to me. My understanding is that traditionally one left trash at movies and ball games and it was part of the service that employees cleaned up after the event--sort of like a table gets bused at a restaurant. They were paid to do this. A paying job is a good thing. Sort of like sales associates at stores are paid in part to put clothes away after people try them on. I actually think this is a bit like the trend to self service check outs at the grocery store and self service gas stations and so on. Businesses expect patrons to do the "work" and hire fewer people. So I really don't think it is disgusting or lazy to leave trash behind at those venues.

All that said, we do usually grab our trash and pitch it on the way out. But I don't worry about spills and if my hands are full and the preschooler is screaming I'm not going back for a cup if I missed it.

Catherine

:yeahthat: although most times we usually bring in our own snacks and I put the wrapprs in my purse and if we get a soda then DH is usually still finishing it. We would do the same thing most times when we went to baseball and football games as a kid too. I don't pick up left over popcorn or peanuts if they have fallen in he trash.

As far back as I can remember there have always been janitors at sporting events and at the movie theaters. I voted for option #3.

carolinacool
07-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I always take any big trash at the movies or ball games. Typically you are passing trash cans one the way out, so it's not a big deal to me.

crl
07-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Apparently I m not the only person who thinks it is traditionally acceptable to leave trash behind at theaters and professional ball games.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/118939-etiquette-question-baseball-gamesmovie-theaters/

Same debate, variety of opinions.

Catherine

Ceepa
07-15-2013, 11:32 AM
I would never leave trash behind, even if I thought someone else is paid to clean up after me. I do leave dropped popcorn, though. ;)

crl
07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Do you all bus your tables at restaurants with bus boys? I think that traditionally that's what picking up your trash at a theater or ball park would have been like. I do think the custom has changed more recently, but I still don't think it is disgusting to leave trash behind at those venues

Catherine

carolinacool
07-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Do you all bus your tables at restaurants with bus boys? I think that traditionally that's what picking up your trash at a theater or ball park would have been like. I do think the custom has changed more recently, but I still don't think it is disgusting to leave trash behind at those venues

Catherine

At restaurants, there typically aren't trash cans sitting around for you to bus your own table. There are in fast food or quick serve-type places, though. At our local minor-league baseball field, you don't have to go very far to find a trash can. Same at the movie theater. I don't think it's disgusting, but I just prefer to help clean up whatever mess I've created if I can.

div_0305
07-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Catherine

I don't leave the table a gross mess. I stack plates/bowls and put all dirty napkins on top. I collect all the utensils on top, too. Maybe I just like cleaning up after myself and my family even if someone is being paid to do it. I don't think I'm taking their paid job away from them, but maybe making their job less unappealing.

Fairy
07-15-2013, 11:42 AM
I think it is completely piggy to leave your garbage behind at movie theatres. Cleaners are there to sweep up fallen popcorn and raisinettes. They're not there to pick up your buckets, candy boxes and disgusting, used napkins. It is true that there is an divide here, as some people feel that it's "what you do" in a movie theatre. I remember once my aunt took me to a movie when I was quite young, I had to be 8, and I picked up my popcorn and she said, no no, throw that on the floor, that's what you're supposed to do. And I did cuz my aunt was telling me what to do, but I thought to myself that that was wrong. completely wrong, and I was embarrassed. I never left it there again. And to this day I take my stuff with me, and I also take others in my row along the way that have been left. I'm not here to be waited on. It's a freaking movie theatre, not a restaurant with wait staff. I am capable of picking up my garbage and being responsible for throwing it out. I have enough respect for the people and the infrastructure not to treat it like a dump.

Fairy
07-15-2013, 11:45 AM

Catherine

No, because that's an inaccurate comparison. Restaurants with wait staff are meant to clean up your table. There are no receptacles for you to dispose of stuff, and you sure as hell aren't welcome in the kitchen to clear your plate and bring it to the sink. In a fast food place, the intent is that you clean up your own stuff, and the garbage cans are there for you to do it. Same in a movie theatre. The cleaners are there to sweep the floors and wipe down surfaces, they're not there to chase after boxes, buckets and pop cups.

wendibird22
07-15-2013, 12:57 PM
I wonder if there are regional differences? I've always picked up trash at the movie theater AND baseball stadium. I've noticed more recently that more and more people are leaving their cups and popcorn buckets behind and it really disgusts me. The employees come in with a broom and dust pan but not garbage bags. There are trash cans at the bottom of the stairs and at each exit. If the staff did the cleaning then they wouldn't need all these trash bins right?

A1icia
07-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I definitely pick it up and throw away on my way out both at movies and sporting events.

I don't think it is at all part of the "service" at these venues. I think the fastfood analogy is much more apt then the sit down restaurant one. As folks said those trashcans on the way out are there for a reason. I figure the janitor's job is to clean the floors, etc.

Oh and with movie theaters they have to clear out all the trash between movies and the janitors only come at night.

A1icia
07-15-2013, 01:22 PM
I read the other thread - and do agree that it okay to drop your peanut shells/sunflower seeds on the ground at sporting venues where they sell them. To me that is different then leaving your trash - because that is how they are traditionally consumed at many places, also they are biodegradable.

essnce629
07-15-2013, 01:37 PM
I remember once my aunt took me to a movie when I was quite young, I had to be 8, and I picked up my popcorn and she said, no no, throw that on the floor, that's what you're supposed to do. And I did cuz my aunt was telling me what to do, but I thought to myself that that was wrong.

My mom was the same way growing up. She told me we had to leave our trash in the theater, so that's what I did as a kid. As an adult now though, I always take my trash and throw it away in the trash cans right outside the doors. My mom does the same thing now as well! So maybe it was different 30+ years ago and more of a tradition to leave everything in the theater? But I think times have changed.

Fairy
07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
My mom was the same way growing up. She told me we had to leave our trash in the theater, so that's what I did as a kid. As an adult now though, I always take my trash and throw it away in the trash cans right outside the doors. My mom does the same thing now as well! So maybe it was different 30+ years ago and more of a tradition to leave everything in the theater? But I think times have changed.

I think that's a good point, it's hard to know if this was the norm and expected when we were kids, cuz we were kids. But at the very least, if it really was expected, then at the very least times have changed.

Kaylee31
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Absolutely, we throw away our trash at the movies. There has been occasions where DS spilled popcorn, and I feel bad enough about leaving that mess for someone else to clean up. The rare times we eat at a fast food place or food court, I throw away our trash too and I think it's pretty much the same thing. I am always shocked by the number of people who don't. Are they used to a maid cleaning up after them or what? IMO, it's along the same lines as returning your cart after shopping. It only takes a minute, and it's an inconvenience to others and creates more work for them, just because someone is too lazy to do it.

Ceepa
07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
As an adult now though, I always take my trash and throw it away in the trash cans right outside the doors.

That reminds me. Every theater I've been to for the last ten years has had trashcans next to the doors as you leave the theater (and I mean the theater showing the individual movie, not just the whole building). Sometimes in addition to the built-in cans are ones on wheels with ushers standing by, everyone dumps their trash into these as they exit.

TxCat
07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Absolutely, we throw away our trash at the movies. There has been occasions where DS spilled popcorn, and I feel bad enough about leaving that mess for someone else to clean up. The rare times we eat at a fast food place or food court, I throw away our trash too and I think it's pretty much the same thing. I am always shocked by the number of people who don't. Are they used to a maid cleaning up after them or what? IMO, it's along the same lines as returning your cart after shopping. It only takes a minute, and it's an inconvenience to others and creates more work for them, just because someone is too lazy to do it.

I definitely pick it up and throw away on my way out both at movies and sporting events.

I don't think it is at all part of the "service" at these venues. I think the fastfood analogy is much more apt then the sit down restaurant one. As folks said those trashcans on the way out are there for a reason. I figure the janitor's job is to clean the floors, etc.

Oh and with movie theaters they have to clear out all the trash between movies and the janitors only come at night.

I always clean up after myself/family/friends at self-serve/fast food restaurants, movie theaters, stadiums, etc. I figure that the staff at movie theaters and fast food restaurants is there to clean up big messes (like spilled drinks on the floor) not just the typical trash left behind by patrons. People should be capable of doing that themselves. Honestly, I've always been shocked when people don't do this - I never once thought that that was considered a possible variant of "normal" behavior in movie theaters or fast food restaurants. I still don't think that I agree with that premise, but it is interesting that that might be considered normal behavior in certain areas or regions.

twowhat?
07-15-2013, 02:10 PM
This is a fascinating thread! I have always taken my trash to the receptacles. I won't pick up the stray popcorn that has fallen on the floor but buckets, cups, napkins...I make sure I clean up after myself.

I worked 2 summers in a movie theatre and it disgusted me how MUCH trash people left behind!! I can understand the forgotten cup or loose napkin, etc. But people would leave EVERYTHING.

Yes, we were paid to clean, but the idea was that we were being paid to sweep up dropped popcorn, mop/wipe up spills, etc. Instead I earned minimum wage to throw away dirty diapers, condoms, and chewing tobacco spit cups.

I think it's just common courtesy. The trash receptacles are right there on your way out and are convenient. At fast food restaurants I absolutely throw away all my trash! I try my best to leave the table clean with my paper napkins but if there's a smear of ketchup or dribbles of soda, I will let the staff clean that up properly.

trentsmom
07-15-2013, 02:25 PM
So maybe it was different 30+ years ago and more of a tradition to leave everything in the theater? But I think times have changed.

As a child in the '70s, I remember putting all of my trash on the floor when the movie was over. Everyone left everything. Now, I throw my own trash away and can't imagine leaving it for someone else to pick up.

crl
07-15-2013, 02:35 PM

I think that's a good point, it's hard to know if this was the norm and expected when we were kids, cuz we were kids. But at the very least, if it really was expected, then at the very least times have changed.

As a child in the '70s, I remember putting all of my trash on the floor when the movie was over. Everyone left everything. Now, I throw my own trash away and can't imagine leaving it for someone else to pick up.

Thank you for being willing to at least consider that customs may have changed or my be different regionally rather than just labeling people disgusting.

Catherine

Fairy
07-15-2013, 02:47 PM
This is a fascinating thread! I have always taken my trash to the receptacles. I won't pick up the stray popcorn that has fallen on the floor but buckets, cups, napkins...I make sure I clean up after myself.

I worked 2 summers in a movie theatre and it disgusted me how MUCH trash people left behind!! I can understand the forgotten cup or loose napkin, etc. But people would leave EVERYTHING.

Yes, we were paid to clean, but the idea was that we were being paid to sweep up dropped popcorn, mop/wipe up spills, etc. Instead I earned minimum wage to throw away dirty diapers, condoms, and chewing tobacco spit cups.

I think it's just common courtesy. The trash receptacles are right there on your way out and are convenient. At fast food restaurants I absolutely throw away all my trash! I try my best to leave the table clean with my paper napkins but if there's a smear of ketchup or dribbles of soda, I will let the staff clean that up properly.

Condoms? Wow. I'm not naive enough to think people don't do it in the movie theatre -- I've had my own fun in movie theatres -- but I am reeling at the concept that the condom would be left behind.

Fairy
07-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Thank you for being willing to at least consider that customs may have changed or my be different regionally rather than just labeling people disgusting.

Catherine

I will acknowledge it, surely. But I do think it's wrong today at the very least.

codex57
07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I do what I can. If it's a big object like a popcorn bucket or soda cup, I take it with me and chuck it on the way out. If it's spilled popcorn or a napkin that got loose or whatever, I'll kick it under the seat but leave it for the employee who's got a broom to handle.

TwinFoxes
07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I would think it goes without saying that people aren't picking up pieces of popcorn from the movie theater floor. Eww. I'm not germaphobic, but the thought of touching the floor of a theater is way disgusting. I don't even put my popcorn box or drink on the floor if I'm still eating/drinking, blech.

I do toss buckets and cups, but I do remember when people didn't. People didn't think about litter as much. Does anyone remember that Mad Men episode where the Drapers are having a picnic talking about how beautiful everything is. And they get up, shake out their blanket so their paper plates and cups and trash are left on the ground, and they walk off completely oblivious. I think that attitude was more common. I also think there's more of a self-serve vibe these days. Fast food places where you bus your tables, gas stations where you pump your own gas, some check outs are self check...I think people aren't as expectant that an employee will do something for them.

Do they still play that little animated short before the movie where a janitor looks in all the trash cans and they're empty, and he open's the theater door and trash tumbles out in an avalanche? The tag is "please throw away your trash".

twowhat?
07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Condoms? Wow. I'm not naive enough to think people don't do it in the movie theatre -- I've had my own fun in movie theatres -- but I am reeling at the concept that the condom would be left behind.

Yes, and finding condoms (and diapers and chewing tobacco spit) was a regular occurence. This was a large theatre near the teeny bopper mall, but still. Some people really ARE disgusting. Also, I picked up plenty of trash that was brought IN to the theater!! Ziplock bags that used to contain pickles but now contained only pickle juice, candy wrappers, microwave popcorn bags, chicken bones from fried chicken, etc.

hellokitty
07-15-2013, 03:39 PM
I grab it, but of course, any small stuff like popcorn on the floor and stuff, we don't pick up. DH always leaves his trash behind. That irritates me, but then again, being brought up by mil, I'm not surprised about stuff like that. He knows that I think he should pick up after himself, at least containers/wrappers/cups.

wellyes
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
Lots of people do leave trash behind, so it must be considered appropriate by more than 1-2% of the population as our poll suggests.

I usually go to early afternoon matinees, the crowd there is most definitely in the "take your trash out" camp. Night movies seem to have different rules.

BabyBearsMom
07-15-2013, 04:16 PM
I would think it goes without saying that people aren't picking up pieces of popcorn from the movie theater floor. Eww. I'm not germaphobic, but the thought of touching the floor of a theater is way disgusting. I don't even put my popcorn box or drink on the floor if I'm still eating/drinking, blech.

I do toss buckets and cups, but I do remember when people didn't. People didn't think about litter as much. Does anyone remember that Mad Men episode where the Drapers are having a picnic talking about how beautiful everything is. And they get up, shake out their blanket so their paper plates and cups and trash are left on the ground, and they walk off completely oblivious. I think that attitude was more common. I also think there's more of a self-serve vibe these days. Fast food places where you bus your tables, gas stations where you pump your own gas, some check outs are self check...I think people aren't as expectant that an employee will do something for them.

Do they still play that little animated short before the movie where a janitor looks in all the trash cans and they're empty, and he open's the theater door and trash tumbles out in an avalanche? The tag is "please throw away your trash".

That episode of Mad Men is permanently embedded in my mind. It made me so uncomfortable that they left their trash. I turned to DH and said "Oh my god, why would they do that?" It just seemed so shocking and strange.

I do pick up my trash, but if something fell under the seat, I wouldn't rummage around to pick it up. I would prefer a broom touch the icky sticky floor to my hand. then again, it's been a while since I have been to a movie, so who knows what I would do.

jk3
07-15-2013, 04:34 PM
We pick up our trash and throw it away. Rogue popcorn we leave.

elliput
07-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I don't like the idea of leaving my trash for someone to trip over.

Tenasparkl
07-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Yes, we were paid to clean, but the idea was that we were being paid to sweep up dropped popcorn, mop/wipe up spills, etc. I

I worked in a movie theater during college and had the same experience. Now I always throw away my trash and I don't worry about spilled popcorn as that can easily be swept up.

I don't know if all theater chains are the same, but where I worked we all rotated through the different jobs around the theater - selling tickets, ripping tickets at the door, working the concession stand, cleaning theaters etc. Leaving a mess in the theater would just make for more work for those with that assignment for the day. It wasn't anyone's job on a daily basis though (thankfully!)

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 05:39 PM

When I was writing my response this AM that was one of the first things that popped into my mind, and while I am not generally a germaphobe it is the main reason I won't touch anything once it hit's the movie theater floor the thought of something more than spilled popcorn or soda being on the floor; although in general our local theater is usually cleaned up very well.

I grew up in the 80s and we always took our trash to the trash cans. I grew up in Northern California so maybe it is regional.

NCGrandma
07-15-2013, 08:33 PM
I do toss buckets and cups, but I do remember when people didn't. People didn't think about litter as much. Does anyone remember that Mad Men episode where the Drapers are having a picnic talking about how beautiful everything is. And they get up, shake out their blanket so their paper plates and cups and trash are left on the ground, and they walk off completely oblivious. I think that attitude was more common. I also think there's more of a self-serve vibe these days. Fast food places where you bus your tables, gas stations where you pump your own gas, some check outs are self check...I think people aren't as expectant that an employee will do something for them. ".

Having grown up during the Mad Men era, I do NOT remember people doing anything as egregious as the Drapers did, although it's certainly true that awareness of litter was not as common as today. (But I find a lot of Mad Men uncomfortably accurate, not caricature as I've heard younger friends assume.) And it was definitely common to toss stuff out the car window. We never went to movies often when I was a kid so I'm not sure what we did with trash, but I'd be very surprised if my mother approved of just leaving it.

TwinFoxes
07-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Lots of people do leave trash behind, so it must be considered appropriate by more than 1-2% of the population as our poll suggests.

Not to blame all teens, but I wonder if it's a teen thing? I don't think there are any on this board.

ckso
11-10-2013, 11:24 PM
I always throw my trash away except for ones that fell on the floor. But I also see plenty of people leave their trash behind especially cups left in the chair cup holder

I would never intentionally throw trash on the floor though. That's just bad.

With that said, an employee always comes in right after the movie to clean with a rolling trash can in tow. So they're obviously expects people to leave their trash behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Corie
11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I would never leave trash behind, even if I thought someone else is paid to clean up after me. I do leave dropped popcorn, though. ;)

I completely agree with Ceepa! We always pick up all of our trash. It doesn't matter where we are.

Another pet peeve of mine though is when the movie theater trash is over-flowing and people still keep dumping more stuff
on top. How about walking another 5 feet and putting your trash in a different trash can?? People are so rude!

jacksmomtobe
11-11-2013, 09:09 AM

Same. I think the norm has changed at movie theaters.

123LuckyMom
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I can't vote, but I have always thrown out my own trash. I was a kid in the '70s, and I don't remember ever leaving trash at sporting events or movies. I grew up in the northeast. I was so trained not to litter, in fact, that I cried once at a circus when I was told and saw everyone dropping their peanut shells on the floor. My mother had to explain that it was okay in that venue (in ball parks, too, but I think at that age I hadn't yet been to a ball park.) My kids are so trained that when they see trash in a movie theater (or in a park or any other place), they pick it up and throw it away. I sort of discourage that, because, ewwww, but I admire the impulse. I was always like that, too. I also don't clean up spills, but I do tell an employee of the theater if I've had one or if I've seen one. They usually have those dustpans on sticks to use to sweep up. I can see how this would be a regional or cultural thing just like anything else. In my beck of the woods, leaving trash is uncommon. At least in the theaters I've frequented.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Yes, we pick up trash & throw it out ourselves, even if we see the theater staff coming in to clear up, and we are typically the last people left in an auditorium due to a penchant for seeing movies with post-credits "bonus" scenes. It would never occur to me to leave wrappers on the ground or soda cups in the cupholders when I'm going to pass the trash can anyway.

However, I don't sweep up popcorn that's fallen on the floor - DD would eat it if I didn't catch her first!

carolinacool
11-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Another pet peeve of mine though is when the movie theater trash is over-flowing and people still keep dumping more stuff
on top. How about walking another 5 feet and putting your trash in a different trash can?? People are so rude!

Totally! I was leaving Target Saturday night. I walked out the doors and went to throw my cup away and both outside trash cans near the doors were overflowing to the point where people were sitting stuff on the ground. Now yes, Target should change their trash cans, but still! I went right back in and threw my cup in the trash in the Starbucks right by the door. Granted, I was alone and not dealing with a kid, but I'm betting most of those cups didn't come from harried parents.

BunnyBee
11-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Zombie thread! :)

vonfirmath
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM

Does anyone else remember when at Wendy's, you left your trash on the table and they came and bussed it?

Ceepa
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I had to check the dates.

BTW, I still pick up my own trash.

123LuckyMom
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM

Funny!!! I didn't notice the date on the original post! I use the Timeline thingy on Tapatalk, so I see all the most recent posts from all the forums. I almost never check the dates of the original, I just assume it's current. I can't do that bag over the head emoticon, but I want to!

carolinacool
11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh, I knew it was old, but my rant is current. :ROTFLMAO: