PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a mosquito spraying service?

arivecchi
07-15-2013, 12:59 PM
We are overrun by mosquitos this summer. We have had tons of flooding in the area this spring/summer and they are just out in droves. Cannot wait for fall.

So are these services effective?

anonomom
07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
We don't use one, but dozens of people in my neighborhood do and they all rave at the change.

(though in my snarkier moments, I think maybe their mosquitoes weren't so much killed and relocated to my yard. We're overrun..they're in my house, my car, everywhere.)

Kindra178
07-15-2013, 01:05 PM
We are overrun by mosquitos this summer. We have had tons of flooding in the area this spring/summer and they are just out in droves. Cannot wait for fall.

So are these services effective?

My neighbors used a service. It was $600 for the summer, for a 50 x 175 lot. They honestly did not have one mosquito in their yard.

BabyBearsMom
07-15-2013, 01:13 PM
My MIL uses it and it makes a huge difference. Her across the street neighbors don't use it and DD1 plays with the neigbor's grandson a lot. The neighbors yard is swarming with mosquitos and little biting gnats. MIL's lawn, literally across the street has nearly zero mosquitos. Not sure what she pays but it is so, so, so worth it.

smilequeen
07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes, it works for us. Ours sprays for ticks too, which was my biggest reason for doing it, but we don't have the mosquitos either.

Philly Mom
07-15-2013, 01:46 PM
My town sprays in a bunch of areas, especially near the streams. We have west nile in our mosquitos so it is a public health issue. They claim that the area they spray has greatly reduced mosquitos and more importantly, mosquitos carrying West Nile. If I had a property your size, I would not hesitate.

TxCat
07-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Mosquito spraying is a constant way of life here. The city sprays regularly and it helps a lot. One of the "features" for houses on the market here are those with "mosquito systems" installed - basically discreet spraying systems set up around the yard to go off as needed. They are wonderful. We haven't yet splurged for one, but probably will in the future.

kdeunc
07-15-2013, 02:06 PM
We used to have our own mosquito "zapper" (I think mosquito magnet was the name). Last year and this year we have used the Mosquito Authority and it was amazing how well it worked. This year they did have to do a respray once but we have had over 10 inches of rain in the last two weeks. I really recommend them. Both DS1 and I are magnets and will get wrapped up in a matter of seconds.

BunnyBee
07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Yes, we do. We have a creek at the back of our lot, and I'm allergic to mosquitoes. It makes a big difference.

ECUPirateMom
07-15-2013, 03:16 PM
We used to have our own mosquito "zapper" (I think mosquito magnet was the name). Last year and this year we have used the Mosquito Authority and it was amazing how well it worked. This year they did have to do a respray once but we have had over 10 inches of rain in the last two weeks. I really recommend them. Both DS1 and I are magnets and will get wrapped up in a matter of seconds.

we also use Mosquito Authority and have had to have them come out to respray a couple of times but mainly due to bad timing with regards to rain (they sprayed and then it down poured so it instantly washed it all away). We have a little over an acre lot that is mostly wooded so we could not enjoy our outdoor space without it! This is our 3rd year using it and although its expensive ($500 for the season) we consider it money well spent especially considering it kills ticks too!

arivecchi
07-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks! I've received different quotes. Some services charge $80-100 for the first service and then $99 for each subsequent one but you pay them upfront (and you have to pay for several). One service is $300 per application which lasts about 3 weeks and does not require that you hire them for subsequent sprays. Any thoughts? The first two are better known outfits. The third was recommended by a landscaper.

kdeunc
07-16-2013, 12:03 PM
We have between 1/3-1/2 acre. I paid $59 last week. It is good for 21-28 days. If I paid for the summer (thru September I think that they quoted me 5 sprays for $250.

arivecchi
07-16-2013, 01:29 PM
We have between 1/3-1/2 acre. I paid $59 last week. It is good for 21-28 days. If I paid for the summer (thru September I think that they quoted me 5 sprays for $250. That seems pretty reasonable. It's not like I am getting quotes for all 5 acres! I was just quoted $600 + by another company. Ugh.

kdeunc
07-16-2013, 01:35 PM
That seems pretty reasonable. It's not like I am getting quotes for all 5 acres! I was just quoted $600 + by another company. Ugh.

I am definitely in a lower cost of living area but $600 + better kill a lot of mosquitos! :) We did have good luck with our own system for several years before it died (the mosquito magnet). I think it was $300-400ish and we got one that was supposed to cover 1-2 acres I think.