PDA

View Full Version : s/o: how were your subsequent babies/children celebrated?

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I added children to include those siblings who were adopted and not brought home as babies from the hospital.

I didn't have a shower for DD2, but family, co workers, and friends sent our brought or made some gifts (mainly clothes, gift cards, and diaper wipes) and my mommy group did meals that lasted from about the time DD2 was 2 weeks old until she was about 6 weeks old.

If I had more family locally I would have loved something like a sip n see, but we kind of did that when DD2 was 5 months old and we had her baptized.

My sister continued to stay with us until DD2 was about 3 days old, and then my mom came when DD2 was 2 weeks old and stayed for 5 days.

georgiegirl
07-15-2013, 02:07 PM
My co-workers had a small shower for me when I was pregnant with DS (second DC), but I lived in another state when DD was born, so I had different friends/co-workers. Nothing so far planned for this baby...with 4 weeks left to go.

ETA: I classified my second shower as a sprinkle, since it was just a few ladies from work, and I didn't register and most people just bought me something small, like an outfit, a rattle, baby lotion, etc.

kdeunc
07-15-2013, 02:09 PM
I had three showers with DS1 (my work, DH's work and friends). I had none with either of the other two. We did get gifts from people and a couple of friends brought meals but nothing coordinated.

lele
07-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Shower for my 1st, nothing for 2nd (I had just moved and knew no one), and a shower for my 3rd (surprise baby!!!).

khalloc
07-15-2013, 02:12 PM
My 2nd was not celebrated. I didnt have a 2nd shower or any other kind of gathering to celebrate his birth. We arent religious so there was so baptism type ceremony either.

citymama
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Shower for first and sprinkle for second. (I guess you would call it a sprinkle, but it was more of a celebrate baby party, fewer people, a few small gifts and no gift opening.)

alirebco
07-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Um, none of the above? LOL

BabbyO
07-15-2013, 02:43 PM
My IL's desperately wanted to have a shower for us when we were expecting Peanut. Reluctantly I agreed. It was mostly family and most of them chipped in $ toward a double stroller. - I guess it was more like a sprinkle because we didn't register or anything - but it felt like a shower to me.

We also had a party on the baptism day and many people gave gifts then, though it wasn't expected. There were also people who dropped off gifts in the weeks after Peanut was born - we're blessed to have very generous friends and family!

megs4413
07-15-2013, 02:48 PM
shower with my first. I think some close friends (maybe even BBB friends? my memory sucks!) sent things or brought meals for DS, but I can't remember if that was for shower-type thing or when he was in the hospital. he got really seriously ill as a newborn and was hospitalized and I know we got sent some meals then, not sure if that's counted here or not....I'm sure someone gave us SOMETHING for him at or before birth, just nothing organized.

i'm not expecting anything organized with #3, but I'm sure we'll get some cards and small gifts and that will feel awesome. :)

waitingforgrace
07-15-2013, 02:50 PM

:yeahthat: shower for DD1, nothing for DD2

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 03:07 PM

I know I should have added that one, darn wish they had more than 15 poll options.

queenmama
07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
My friends from DS' school threw a shower for DD. I would've preferred a sip & see because I felt awkward about the gifts and I think it would've been more fun if everyone got to meet her, but I was very blessed by their outpouring of love.

Lara

hellokitty
07-15-2013, 03:37 PM
I didn't vote, b/c I didn't think that the choices necessarily described our situation.

DS1- I had 3 small baby showers from different groups (one with friends, one that was basically a shower for dh by his co-worker's and my mom's friend did one for my parents' friends that I grew up knowing).

DS2- No shower, but dh and I hosted dh's co-workers to a, "meet the baby" dinner, I think back to it now and it was pretty expensive, lol. The sip and see luncheon would have been less expensive. Oh well.

DS3- No shower. I was in moms club by then and I did get a few meals from my friends in the group and a few random ppl sent baby gifts. We were too exhausted to do a meet the baby gathering, so never got around to hosting one. The only reason I didn't end up having to buy a ton of baby gear, was b/c a friend who was on the fence about ttc #3, basically lent us everything, except for strollers/cribs that we needed. We were very grateful for that. I had given away most of my baby gear after #2, thinking we wouldn't have more kids.

div_0305
07-15-2013, 03:51 PM

:yeahthat: Shower at work for #1, and another with family/friends for #1. Religious ceremony with just immediate family for #2. That's it! I would've loved to have had a sprinkle or something with close friends and relatives for #2 as we had almost nothing saved from #1 due to a combo of cross-country move, 5 year age difference, and different gender.

maestramommy
07-15-2013, 07:02 PM
There was no shower for DD2, but there was for DD3 because we had moved to a new state by then. But it was very small, a surprise thing on the last meeting of my handbell choir from church. That day is when we get together for brunch and just hang out and laugh over stuff that's happened over the year. But they did a shower with a group gift, and one lady also made an amazing friendship quilt for DD.

When our kids are about 6 months old they get baptized, and my dad has baptized all 3 of them. He was already getting on in years when he baptized DD1, so it's a big deal to me that he was able to do all 3. For DD3 we waited until she was one because my parents visited us around the time of her bday. The host church is always so nice about it. Our old church was smaller and would carry the baby around the sanctuary to "introduce" her to the congregation. Our current church sings a song, "tell them you're a child of God." to welcome the baby in. Always chokes me up. I couldn't even sing the day DD3 got baptized.

daisymommy
07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Showers for the first 3, gifts sent to our home by friends and family for baby 4.
In our area, showers for 3-4 babies are the norm.

Sent from my iPad

Melaine
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
Showers are typical here for subsequent kids. I think they are fine but I also don't mind taking something smaller or homemade as a gift. I don't often purchase off a registry because I like to buy what I like to buy for folks and I don't like to be told what to do.

ETA: We did have a shower for DS and I really appreciate my friends giving it. It was really special for me AND for DDs who had an absolutely fabulous time celebrating their new job as "big sisters". It was great to get gifts as well because I didn't have boy stuff or much stuff left from DDs since it had been 5 years, but gifts weren't the main focus.

kara97210
07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
2 showers for each of mine, one at work and a separate one with friends/family. Both times I asked for no presents from the work shower, but they pooled and got me one nice item. When my DD was born we were living in a small rental (had sold a house and were mid-renovation on our new place) so I asked for no gifts for the friend/family shower also. About 1/2 the people brought something, mainly outfits.

edurnemk
07-15-2013, 08:19 PM
I had showers for both, although I got bigger ticket items for DS's shower in general (first child). In fact for DD I had 2 showers! When DS was born I lived thousands of miles away from family, plus he's a January baby, so his shower was held in December in the midst of the holidays, so kind of hectic, many people didn't make it (including my parents and IL's), etc.

When I was PG with DD my mom and BFF really wanted to throw me the shower they couldn't with DS, so they hosted one together. And my MIL hosted another shower. I registered mostly for girly clothes and a few items I wanted to replace (bottles, etc.), though my mom did get me the Bugaboo Bee+ and Micralite Toro Bassinet to use with it.

Both my babies also received lots of gifts for their baptism (DS was 5 months, DD was 7 months). For DS we got mostly clothes, but for some reason DD got lots of toys.

Among our circle, it's common to have a diaper shower for second and subsequent babies, especially if they're the same gender and close in age. But we CD, so that wasn't an option. Plus I really needed clothes, not only because of the different gender, but the seasons and sizes did not match at.all. (DS is a winter baby, DD is a summer baby).

SnuggleBuggles
07-15-2013, 08:23 PM
My mom hosted a sprinkle for me with my good friends as a surprise. I know you ettiquette mavens are rolling your eyes at my mom doing that but none of my friends cared. :) My friends also took me out to dinner. For my sprinkle, they chipped in for a nice diaper bag and each brought me something small that they loved for their kids (books for the most part). It was perfect. People brought me food after the birth.

MMMommy
07-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Shower only for DD1. No shower for DD2. My parents always host a Chinese Red Egg dinner for their grandchildren when they are about 3 months old. They invite lots of friends and family, and it is a big Chinese banquet style dinner with formal invitations.

buddyleebaby
07-15-2013, 11:44 PM
We had small gatherings after dd2's and Ds's baptisms, just immediate family and godparents.
For dd3, my sister (with the help of one of my friends) threw me a surprise baby shower. I was having a very hard time being pregnant and had bought nothing for her. In one day, my friends took care of everything. More than that, though, the shock of seeing old high school friends and friends from around the country in my sister's living room, for me...everyone just really, really went out of their way and I felt so loved and so supported. It makes me teary to think about it even now. I really am blessed to have so many amazing people in my life.

klwa
07-16-2013, 08:37 AM
My coworkers threw a small shower for DD1, but I requested that there not be one for DD2. (It was supposed to be just the group I was working with for DD1 & grew, so I didn't want to deal with that again.) My current group DID have cake in celebration of DD2, but no gifts.

Friends & family brought & sent gifts/food for both of the girls. My dad stayed for a week with DD1, but only a few days after DD2. (He ended up getting sick while at our house after DD2 & having to leave to figure out what was going on with him. After several rounds of testing his heart/air function, it turned out to be acid reflux.)

DD1 was baptized at about 4 months old & DD2 wasn't quite 3 months old for her baptism.