PDA

View Full Version : What toothpaste do you use for your toddler

mommylamb
07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm still using Spry tooth gel with xylitol for DS2 who is 17 months now. Should I be moving to something else at this point?

JBaxter
07-15-2013, 04:31 PM
We have Tom's strawberry some Xylitol one and some tubes of blue sparkly crap the dentist gave us

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 04:35 PM
DD1 uses either Toms of Maine fluoride free strawberry or Aquafresh Training Toothpaste. We did this with DD1 until she could spit so about 4. DD2 eats the toothpaste too so I am tempted to just switch her to regular Crest so maybe she'll stop eating the paste, but I still want her to be able to use it when she is older and not have traumatic memories of the nastiness of Crest regular paste.

rolypoly27
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
We use Tom's strawberry toothpaste.

BabyBearsMom
07-15-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm still using Spry tooth gel with xylitol for DS2 who is 17 months now. Should I be moving to something else at this point?

When we were at the pediatric dentist, she said to switch to flouride tooth paste at age 2. I just switched DD1 at age 3. I'm not sure I would be ready to switch at 2, as a 2 year old wouldn't be a very good spitter.

Dream
07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
I use Tom's strawberry with fluoride but both DD's swallow sometimes. I'm trying to get DD2 to spit it out.

rlu
07-15-2013, 05:13 PM
We have Tom's strawberry some Xylitol one and some tubes of blue sparkly crap the dentist gave us

We use the blue sparkly crap. I use it as well since I'm allergic to mint and the only mainstream non-mint toothpaste I can find is Crest Cinnamon (which our local CVS doesn't carry but will "order" for me).

ilfaith
07-15-2013, 05:18 PM
We use the Tom's fluoride-free strawberry. We started out with the fluoride-free versions then switched the boys when they were 2-3. The Tom's Strawberry is the only flavor my 9YO will use. DS2 and DS3 aren't as picky. I was hoping I could get DS1 to use Tom's Mild Mint flavor, just to freshen his breath, but he wanted nothing to do with it.

AnnieW625
07-15-2013, 05:32 PM
We use the blue sparkly crap. I use it as well since I'm allergic to mint and the only mainstream non-mint toothpaste I can find is Crest Cinnamon (which our local CVS doesn't carry but will "order" for me).

My sister used that until I swear she was in college. I think she finally switched when my parents gave in and started buying Aquafresh around that time (I guess it finally became cheaper than Crest or something, not sure why they switched, but I know my sister wouldn't touch regular Crest with a 10 ft. poll).

Snow mom
07-15-2013, 05:57 PM
We use kiss my face kids fluoride free. I suppose it's time to teach the 4.5 yo to spit out toothpaste.

rlu
07-15-2013, 06:02 PM
My sister used that until I swear she was in college. I think she finally switched when my parents gave in and started buying Aquafresh around that time (I guess it finally became cheaper than Crest or something, not sure why they switched, but I know my sister wouldn't touch regular Crest with a 10 ft. poll).

I actually like mint but sneezing with a mouthful of toothpaste is messy.

essnce629
07-15-2013, 06:31 PM
DS2 is 4 and we use Now Foods XyliWhite Kids Toothpaste. It's fluoride-free and is DS2's favorite xylitol kids toothpaste so far (and we've tried probably all of them).

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-XyliWhite-Toothpaste-3-Ounces/dp/B005RZK1Q6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1373926911&sr=1-1&keywords=xyliwhite+toothpaste+childrens

hillview
07-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Colgate. :bag

wendibird22
07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
The 3.5 yo uses Colgate toddler w/ fluoride. The 6 yo uses Colgate kid.

bostonsmama
07-15-2013, 09:22 PM
We currently have Jason organics strawberry xylitol paste for my 2.5yo, but she doesn't spit well at all...well, she spits, but never toothpaste. ;) It tastes like crap, but she loves it--sucks it off the toothbrush. I think it tastes like shampoo.

When we go on vacay, I only take one tube for the family, and DH and I switch btwn Toms of Maine regular fluoride spearmint paste and a tartar control (fluoride-free) mint. DD likes both, but I bring the FF one. We have fluoridated tap water we drink plenty of, so I'm not "worried" she's not getting enough in her mouth.

FWIW, I got a new ToM sweet mint paste (has fluoride) from Whole Foods. Nastiest stuff ever. Gross. If it weren't $4, I'd have tossed it a while ago. I like their classic mint and spearmint.

Katigre
07-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Natural dentist anti-cavity toothpaste.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

marymoo86
07-15-2013, 10:11 PM
DS2 is 4 and we use Now Foods XyliWhite Kids Toothpaste. It's fluoride-free and is DS2's favorite xylitol kids toothpaste so far (and we've tried probably all of them).

http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-XyliWhite-Toothpaste-3-Ounces/dp/B005RZK1Q6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1373926911&sr=1-1&keywords=xyliwhite+toothpaste+childrens

DD LOVES this stuff! I pick up this or Spry or Jason Kids xylitol. I don't plan on switching to fluoride unless there is a significant reason to do so.

TxCat
07-15-2013, 10:15 PM
We use Tom's strawberry toothpaste.
:yeahthat:

nfowife
07-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Spiffies xylitol fluoride-free grape. It's 35% xylitol and she loves it :)

pomegranate
07-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Another Tom's strawberry here. We get it at Target. But when we travel, we use the Crest or Colgate kids that the dentist gives out as samples.

petesgirl
07-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Aquafresh training toothpaste. Maybe I need try that Toms's strawberry. I wonder if it would making brushing go better for us.

ZeeBaby
07-15-2013, 10:46 PM
We also use Tom's of Maine strawberry

carolinacool
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Blue sparkly Crest.

eagle
07-16-2013, 01:13 AM
we brush our 3 yos teeth with whatever grocery store brand there is that doesnt have fluoride. something with thomas the tank and i found another tube of some other brand at whole foods i got last year. jason, i think. but im not too picky. as long as it doesnt have fluoride.

janine
07-16-2013, 08:43 AM
My 4.5 yr old used Crest Kids, but then I switched to Nature's Kids since she gets canker sores. She just got a canker sore, so now I'm not sure since there is not much foaming action from the Nature's Kid which makes me feel like they are not getting super clean.

My 20 month old gets just water (she eats and sucks the non-flouride stuff so avoiding it). Once she is 2 I'll let her have a low flouride tootpaste. I use a kleenex to sweep it out after.

lizzywednesday
07-16-2013, 08:48 AM
We use JASON for kids, either strawberry (the tube has an octopus on it) or orange (the tube has a crab on it) depending on which one DD likes better the day we go out to buy it. (Which reminds me, we should probably go get some soon!)

I am not concerned about using fluoride paste because (1) our water is fluorodated and (2) DD drinks a lot of (filtered) tap water. When she can consistently brush & spit her toothpaste out, rather than eating/sucking on it, I will consider switching her to the regular Tom's toothpaste that I use.

BabbyO
07-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Once Stachio could spit, we switched to flouride toothpaste. It was between 2 and 2.5 yo. Peanut still uses non flouride toothpaste. We brush his teeth every day and practice spitting. I'm seeing progress. I think our dentist said at age 2 you could use a tiny smear of flouride toothpaste and it shouldn't be a problem even if they swallow it.

joonbug
07-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Blue sparkly Crest.

This one. DD has been terrible at brushing till 2'ish (had to hold her down and just do it with screaming and fighting). Got better by 3 and she became a pro at spitting toothpaste out around then. No issues for a long time now LOL!