PDA

View Full Version : Housewarming gift?

echoesofspring
07-15-2013, 07:05 PM
This week my parents move into their new to them house. It's been a *long* time coming:

In the 90's my parents were moving to the city and trying unsuccessfully to move to this particular neighborhood. My mom fell in love with this house from the street and wrote a letter to the owners asking that if they ever decided to sell, they contact here. She never heard from them, but then 3 years ago she heard from a friend who's also a realtor that the house was going on the market, and my parents purchased it!

They have been renovating it since the 2011, it needed a ton of work, there were unexpected interruptions, problems with contractors,etc. And on Thursday they move in. I'm so excited for them, especially for my mom, I feel like this is the only thing I've ever really seen her express wanting. (Though I'm sad they are going through the hassle of moving and not going to be any closer to us, but that's an entirely different story). In the meantime they've both been really overwhelmed with taking care of their mothers, family issues, etc. It's so huge that they are moving in finally, I'd like to mark the occasion. Flowers/wreath/etc. ? Since I'm on the opposite coast I haven't seen the house in a year and I have no idea what things look like, except the kitchen. Really, I keep asking for photos, but maybe they are too tired at the end of the day. They are in Pittsburgh, PA, if anyone has a local idea. TIA!

MamaMolly
07-15-2013, 09:34 PM
What about a blooming potted plant that can go in the yard?

baymom
07-15-2013, 10:15 PM
How about a custom sign that says 'Smith Family' or '1234 Main St.'? They have a lot of beautiful ones on Etsy.

baymom
07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Or, how about a fruit tree? I know my parents would love that? Not a whole lot of maintence and they'd enjoy the harvest every year....

kristenk
07-15-2013, 10:28 PM
My mom gave us a shade tree for the front yard.

How about making a bird house with the kids? Or, more accurately, having them help decorate (with handprint/footprint/whatever) a birdhouse? It's not an expensive gift, but it can be very special.