PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix owners - Question for you

Twoboos
07-15-2013, 07:14 PM
My SIL has these green smoothie drinks she buys at Whole Foods for $10 each(!!!). I asked why she doesn't just get a Vitamix instead. She said it's like juicing, you still have to strain it and are left with a pile of stuff to get rid of.

From what I've read on here, I didn't think that was the case - I thought the Vitamix just crushed everything and made it all drinkable!!

So I ask you, the experts - do you have to strain or not?

wellyes
07-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Nope, no straining. That's the point of a green smoothie versus juicing. With a green smoothie, you still get all the beneficial fiber and so digest it more slowly. They are more filling and you get less of a sugar spike like you do with juicing. Plus you get all the benefits of the fruit skins and pith.

Melaine
07-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Nope, no straining. That's the point of a green smoothie versus juicing. With a green smoothie, you still get all the beneficial fiber and so digest it more slowly. They are more filling and you get less of a sugar spike like you do with juicing. Plus you get all the benefits of the fruit skins and pith.

:yeahthat: I have seen juicers in use and they leave me scratching my head. I know there are benefits but honestly seeing all that is leftover after juicing seems like a lot of high-fiber and vitamin content gone to waste. Definitely no straining or anything with the vitamix and you can throw stuff in that you wouldn't actually eat (like cores or seeds).

Twoboos
07-15-2013, 08:06 PM
That's what I thought! I am going to tell her this again and see if she'll listen this time. ;) In 2 months the Vitamix would pay for itself.

Momit
07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
I just saw a Blendtec (similar to Vitamix) demo today - the guy used seeded grapes, whole strawberries with green tops, whole orange slices with skin. No straining and no prep work either, except washing and minimal cutting.

abh5e8
07-15-2013, 09:05 PM
fyi...some of the (insoluble) fiber does get destroyed by the blender, so its not exactly the same as eating the whole fruits/veggies....but i agree, its more of the fiber then you would get with juicing :)

This is a helpful comparison:

Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight. Slower stomach emptying may also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which may help control diabetes. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.

Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.

Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.