PDA

View Full Version : What mix of breeds do you think this dog is? Hypoallergenic or not? *Pics*

justlearning
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
We're considering adopting this 4-year-old dog from a rescue organization. I have bad asthma and have never had a dog. I realize that there's no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog, but I'd like to reduce the chances that the dog could bother my allergies. (We met her outside at a park, so it's hard to know if my allergies were kicking in due to the environment there or her.)

So, what is your best guess as to the breeds of this dog? The rescue organization offered their guess, but I'm curious what you think.

Fairy
07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
There has to be some schnauzer in there.

PunkyBoo
07-16-2013, 01:02 PM
My stepmom is a professional in the world of show dogs. I showed her the photo you posted and she said its a poodle mixed with something, possibly border collie. She said you need to remember it will require professional grooming so keep that in mind when figuring out the cost of owning that dog. She's a cutie! :)

psimpson3-5
07-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I see a poodle mix....

Raidra
07-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Whatever it is, it's adorable!

justlearning
07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
The rescue organization said Portuguese water dog and terrier--what do you think about their guess? Interesting that so far no one has said either one of those!

Blue Hydrangea
07-16-2013, 01:16 PM
My guess would be Schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle mix), but with an unknown mutt, you just might never know!

If you're worried about allergies, I'd see if you can try and her stay at your home for a couple days to see if your allergies get worse with her in your house.

Pennylane
07-16-2013, 01:22 PM
My first guess was terrier. I had a wire haired terrier when I was younger and thought of him right when I saw the photo. Such a cutie!

Ann

Fairy
07-16-2013, 01:27 PM
My stepmom is a professional in the world of show dogs. I showed her the photo you posted and she said its a poodle mixed with something, possibly border collie. She said you need to remember it will require professional grooming so keep that in mind when figuring out the cost of owning that dog. She's a cutie! :)

Border Collie? I don't see that at all. Not that I'm trying to contradict your mom, who is clearly an expert, but I'm curious what features are collie'ish?

westwoodmom04
07-16-2013, 02:11 PM
I was going to guess Portugese water dog, we have one in our neighborhood and her body type looks similar. I can see the schnoodle in the face, and I'm guessing the border collie guess comes from her facial coloring/

flashy09
07-16-2013, 02:37 PM
The markings and hair make me think Bearded Collie is in the mix!

JBaxter
07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Poodle and some type of terrier would be my guess

Binkandabee
07-16-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd say a schnauzer poodle as well.

BunnyBee
07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
The rescue organization said Portuguese water dog and terrier--what do you think about their guess? Interesting that so far no one has said either one of those!

Do people really let their PWDs roam and get knocked up? You could ask a PWD rescue what they think.

I would guess poodle terrier something.

justlearning
07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Do people really let their PWDs roam and get knocked up? .

I was suspicious of the PWD label too. I wonder if they said that to try to draw more interest in her because it's more unique to find a PWD rescue dog?

codex57
07-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Are any of these mixes supposedly hypoallergenic (I know poodle is supposed to be).

I mean, if you're allergic, that's an awfully big chance to take on a mixed breed that no one can figure out the genetics of.

lablover
07-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I would guess poodle mixed with something - I see some of the same features in my labradoodle. I had the same thought on the Portuguese water dog - I'd think it would be pretty rare to find a PWD mix, but I'm no expert! Do you know if it sheds?

westwoodmom04
07-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Are any of these mixes supposedly hypoallergenic (I know poodle is supposed to be).

I mean, if you're allergic, that's an awfully big chance to take on a mixed breed that no one can figure out the genetics of.

PWD is hypoallergenic and the schnoodle is a mix of two hypo-allergenic dogs (poodle and schnauzer).

YouAreTheFocus
07-16-2013, 03:04 PM
I am not expert but I'd say poodle, PWD, schnauzer. The PWD is b/c she reminds me of the first dog (and iirc they picked that breed b/c it is hypoallergenic).

AnnieW625
07-16-2013, 03:16 PM
It looks like a Schnoodle to me and a bit like a Cockapoo in the face. The tail though that's a puzzler.

justlearning
07-16-2013, 03:27 PM

I believe that all of the breeds mentioned in this thread are considered hypoallergenic except for collie. The rescue organization knows about my allergy situation and that this would be my first time trying to have a dog and agreed to rehome her if I can't keep her. (Our boys understand that chance we're taking too.)

Fairy
07-16-2013, 03:35 PM
I get the PWD reasoning. Definitely has that look! But I think that look is also classic Schnoodle. The beard and body shape screamed schnauzer to me, as I've had a couple. But that face. Ooh, I wanna squeeze it and kiss it! Can I have the dog?

srkaplan
07-16-2013, 04:06 PM
I'd guess some sort if Doodle...it looks s lot like our Labradoodle, but the white in the face makes me think it's something other than lab.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

codex57
07-16-2013, 05:56 PM
I believe that all of the breeds mentioned in this thread are considered hypoallergenic except for collie. The rescue organization knows about my allergy situation and that this would be my first time trying to have a dog and agreed to rehome her if I can't keep her. (Our boys understand that chance we're taking too.)

Awesome!

cmo
07-16-2013, 06:03 PM
The dog in the photos looks a LOT like my dog, who is a cockapoo.

justlearning
07-16-2013, 07:14 PM
The dog in the photos looks a LOT like my dog, who is a cockapoo.

Interesting! Well, I'm feeling much more comfortable hearing from all of you that your guess is that she most likely is a mix of "hypoallergenic" breeds. We said that we would go ahead and adopt her with the understanding that we may not be able to keep her if my asthma/allergies are a problem once she's in our home.

cuca_
07-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Agree that it looks like a poodle mix. Reminds me of our labradoodle as well. FWIW we have an australian labradoodle and there is a pure breed PWD in our neighborhood that looks like her twin.

twowhat?
07-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Great that the rescue org is understanding and will take her back! Have you asked if she sheds? If she doesn't shed, she has a much better chance of working out.

FWIW my DD1 has asthma (it's not severe though) and we have 2 shedding dogs - I vacuum twice a week with a good vacuum (Dyson) and we have not had to use her nebulizer since I started doing that. Even if the dog you adopt doesn't shed, vacuuming is important (environmental allergens get tracked inside the house, dander falls to the ground, etc.)

fivi2
07-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I see a lot of terrier. Maybe Schnauzer. But I am not an expert (and not familiar with PWD).

gamma
07-16-2013, 09:48 PM
She looks like my PWD who was a rescue. I was her 4th owner when we adopted her at 15 months old. She passed away at 16 years old.