PDA

View Full Version : I think it's strep but rapid test was negative...wwyd?

todzwife
07-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Both of my girls started running fevers today and complaining that their throats hurt. They went downhill very fast... Fevers are about 101-102. No other symptoms. 3 year olds throat has red spots everywhere.

DH took them to urgent care tonight since I'm 36 weeks pregnant.rapid test was negative. Cultured the 7 year old but not the 3 year old and sent them home with nothing.

I wouldn't be so concerned except I could literally have this baby any day and I'd feel awful leaving sick kids with someone. No family to help.

Do I wait it out and pray, or take them in to their doc tomorrow?

Mermanaid
07-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Take them to the dr. Rapid test is notorious for false negatives and it could just be too early for the strep to culture with it.

dowlinal
07-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Several times my kids have been negative on the rapid test and positive for the overnight. If your one daughter comes back positive tomorrow, your ped may be willing to treat the other too.

petesgirl
07-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Our urgent care dr doesn't even like to swab the 3 and under set. If it appears suspicious for strep he will just give antibiotics. He says it is just too difficult to get a reliable swab on a small child. I would probably take them in. At least the person office may be able to get a better swab.

mikala
07-17-2013, 06:13 AM
Any chance it's hand foot mouth instead? Two friends who don't know each other just took their kids to the pediatrician for strep only to find out it was hfm instead. The symptoms were fever and sore throat.

chlobo
07-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Echoing the pp. Both my kids has sore throats and high fevers. They were both negative on the rapid and on the culture. Fever went away after a day but dd insisted she felt like she had canker sores on her throat. Friend said her son had the same sx and was dx with hand foot and mouth.

So I your situation I would wait for the culture results. If neg and you are still nervous or fever persists, take them to the ped.

todzwife
07-17-2013, 08:32 AM
I guess it could be hfm, but I don't know of anyone who has had it and the only place that both girls have been is the country club's swimming pool...I haven't been getting out much. I probably should find out if its hfm though being so pregnant, right?

chlobo
07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Since your older daughter has already been cultured you are covered on that front (Strep). If you are nervous about HFM then I would bring them in. At least you might get clarity on what it is.

almostmom
07-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Have your kids ever had strep? I know that I thought DD had it last year, but neither of my kids have ever had it. We did get her tested and she was negative and our doc said some kids have a tendency to get strep, and others don't. I got it all the time as a kid, so that made sense. So if they are kids that get it, maybe it's more likely to be strep. But if they've never had it, it's probably something else (in my opinion).

icunurse
07-17-2013, 11:41 AM
It could just be viral. There have been a few times that I have taken my kids in, sure that they have strep (fever, swollen glands, red or white spots in the back of the throat) and they tested negative, ped said it was viral.

Younger children, under age five, rarely get strep. It is possible, but not common.

You can take them in for peace of mind considering your circumstances. Heck, I always seem to be running in with one of them right before we leave on vacation! Lol

SnuggleBuggles
07-17-2013, 11:53 AM
My ds1 is a pro at running high fevers and sore throats but never having strep, always just viruses that go away in 1-3 days w/o treatment.

todzwife
07-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I'm praying whatever it is, it leaves fast and no one else gets it! The girls are miserable!

magnoliaparadise
07-18-2013, 04:08 AM
Hope you feel better and your DDs feel better and that you get some help.
My DD complained about being sick on a Friday and Dr took a rapid test and it was negative... she suggested antibiotics anyway, but I said no since I thought DD didn't have strep. DD seemed better and I basically ran her ragged with errands I had to do once she seemed ok that weekend. On Sunday evening, the Dr called to say DD had strep after all, as shown by the culture... by then, it was too late to get the required dose of antibiotics to make DD not contagious the next day so she had to miss her Monday 'special person's day' at school which my mother had traveled from another state specifically for... DD was disappointed. It taught me to not trust the rapid tests!