PDA

View Full Version : logistics question for cruise

lil_acorn
07-17-2013, 09:27 AM
We are cruising out of Port Canaveral so flying into Orlando. They don't recommend flying in that day due to potential flight delays. If you have cruised before and specifically to this area, what did you do? Did you just fly in one night before, a few days and spent some time elsewhere in the area?

It seems like a big pain to rent a car, lug all the car seats, etc.

egoldber
07-17-2013, 09:42 AM
We flew in the night before and stayed at the MCO Hyatt. It is right at the airport. We rented a car the next morning and drove ourselves. The car rental is also right at the airport. DH picked it up and then drive it around to the valet entrance to the hotel and picked us up and loaded the bags.

Now, we only needed a booster for younger DD, so we just got one from the car rental. Many places this is risky, but the Orlando airport car rental places literally have stacks and stacks of car seats. The booster we used for younger DD was a brand new Turbobooster still in the plastic! They also had Harmony boosters. I noticed stacks of other car seats, but I didn't pay attention to what they were.

The easiest thing to do by far is to take the Disney transport from the Orlando airport to Port Canaveral. If you stay at the Hyatt, they will actually transport your luggage for you from the Hyatt onto the boat. We had to manage our own bags to the cruise terminal, but Disney took the bags from there and it was easy.

So if you stay at the Hyatt and use Disney transport, you won't need any carseats at all.

The downside to the Disney transport is that it costs $35 per person each way. We had 6 people, so it would have been $420 round trip. It was half that to rent a minivan. Your family of 5 will be $350 round trip.

I also cannot urge you strongly enough to NOT NOT NOT overpack. The rooms are small and there is just not a lot of storage. I had never cruised before and from what I can gather the DCL rooms are bigger than average. Our family of 4 just squeezed into our room with all our stuff and we certainly did not pack a lot compared to many. We had a 22" rolling suitcase for each of us and a small carry-on (like a backpack).

lil_acorn
07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Did you do a weekly car rental or just a one day and were able to drop off at Port Canaveral? And then rent another one for the ride back? **ignore this question - reading your detailed post now!**

and relative to clothes - did you do laundry on board the boat?

Thank you so much for answering all my questions!

weech
07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
We always fly in early the day of and head straight to the port... never had any issues :shrug:

egoldber
07-17-2013, 11:38 AM
We did laundry once.

I forgot this in the review and should mention it. The washing machine directions were very complicated and not at all clear. Another woman and I ended up calling the ship tech support from the laundry room. :) But it all got straightened out.

You would likely be fine flying in the day of the cruise. However, we were not willing to risk missing our very $$$ vacation with a cancelled or delayed flight.

Also, I cannot recommend highly enough trying to be one of the first people on the boat. The difference in the pool/lunch areas at 12 and at 2/3 is astounding. But my kids are really into the pools and Aquaduck so wanted to go there right away.

cvanbrunt
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I've cruised twice out of that port. Both times we took a direct flight in the morning and used the Disney transportation to the port. No problems. I probably would go the night before if there were not direct flights.

Also, have bathing suits in your carry on. You can get on the ship before you can get in the cabins so it is fun to play in the pool while you wait.