PDA

View Full Version : Cosleeping solutions...

megs4413
07-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I know this is a heated topic. I am asking to keep it as cool as possible, please! I do not want to debate the merits of cosleeping. I have always coslept. I do not intend to change it and I'm comfortable with the choice. I *do* need help on some logistics, though. It's been a while since I've done this and I think there are some different product/options out there than last time.

With my older kids, I had the bed pushed up against the wall and the baby on the wall side because DH is not comfortable with baby next to him. It worked fine, but it won't work in our new house simply for space reasons. I need to come up with another solution. Here is what I think might be possible:

1. a cosleeper attached to my side of the bed like the arm's reach or something. Has anyone used one of these? reviews? thoughts? is it safe and easy to attach to the bed?

2. some kind of barrier to keep baby from falling out of the bed on my side like a bed rail. is this totally impractical?

3. some kind of cosleeper in the bed like the snuggle nest or whatever. honestly, i don't get how these work......has anyone used something like this?

I wish DH would just make the sacrifice and sleep in another bed, but he won't and it will be too hard on my marriage if I sleep in another room every night (I did this with DS a lot of the time and it made my DH lonely.)

Of course, I know that this baby may be most comfortable sleeping on her own or in a rock n play or whatever, so it might not end up being the enormous issue I'm envisioning, but I want to be prepared and have something purchased before baby arrives.

TIA!

kaharris83
07-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I had an Arm's Reach with DS1 until 6 months and for a few months with DS2. It works well, but once baby can sit up you're supposed to stop using the co-sleeper part. If you're just using it as a just in case measure it probably doesn't matter. We had the original size and it was huge and took up a lot of space in our room. We just started co-sleeping with DS2 at 8 months and I got the Go Bed Bug bed rails per a rec here. They are great.

AnnieW625
07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
1. a cosleeper attached to my side of the bed like the arm's reach or something. Has anyone used one of these? reviews? thoughts? is it safe and easy to attach to the bed?

We put a smaller Pack N Play (the ones that are about $100 now with the changing table, not the super huge ones that are $150+) about two feet from my side of the bed for DD1, and DD2 used the Vista bassinet stacked on top of a large Rubbermaid storage bin in the same area 24/7 for the first 6-7 weeks of her life (she didn't like the crib or the PNP). When we were looking at bassinets and play yards for DD1 my DH didn't like the Arm's Reach Co Sleeper for some reason so we registered for the PNP. I did co sleep with DD1 for two nights after getting home from the hospital because she wouldn't sleep in her crib and it just wasn't for us (I couldn't get comfortable and she would only really sleep in my arms or elevated (my knees were up in an A form) and not flat next to me so the first thing I did on the Saturday AM we were home (she was born on Tuesday PM, we got home on Thursday) was go and buy the PNP (plus Target didn't have any Arms Reach Co Sleepers). While I could see how the Arms Reach Co Sleeper could be convenient I didn't miss not having the removable side at all it was just as easy to put her back in the bed once I was done nursing, which I did on the couch most times, I didn't like nursing in bed, but I know lots of people who do (including my mom, I have memories of her nursing my siblings when I was 3, and 10 on the bed and watching her). DD1 slept in the PNP during the day until about 6 weeks and then in her crib at night from 4 months on (which is when I started weaning her and her room was finally finished and painted!)

eta: we did have a second (full size) bed in DD1's room for a short time, but honestly we didn't really use it at all except that first two nights I was home. We moved it shortly there after as we knew we weren't going to need it in there because DD1 was sleeping in the PNP in our room. DD1 wasn't uber fussy at night so it was easy to have her in our room.

BunnyBee
07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
1 or 2 would work on the outside edge, but the nest would go in between or it could fall off (if I'm thinking of the same item). You can find the Arms Reach on CL usually, and buy new sheets. If you get a bed rail, get a mesh one. The wall is not safe because if the baby rolled in the crack against the solid wall, it can't get out or breathe (vs a mesh, breathable barrier). I had an Arms Reach for the first two, but it held supplies and a cat instead of a baby. You can also put your mattress on the floor and temporarily store the frame. That's the most convenient but the hippy dippiest. :)

edurnemk
07-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I'd totally get an Arm's reach cosleeper.

What I did was have the PnP pulled up against my side of the bed. The baby would sleep in the bassinet attachment the first part of the night and then when I brought him / her into my bed, I'd lay the baby between me and the PnP, I also always have my arm around them. We have a KS bed now, but I did this with a Queen when we had DS.

I looked into the snuggle nests and the like, but I didn't feel as comfortable with the idea of those, for some reason. It would have to go in the middle of the bed, or between you and a rail/PnP/ etc. to keep it from falling off the bed IMO. I preferred something more contained so I could use it for nap times as well. I also felt it would probably be outgrown quickly, but it seemed a good solution for traveling.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-17-2013, 01:29 PM
i used the arm's reach mini cosleeper with both my kids. actually mostly with dd. i liked it. with dd though i didn't bother attaching it to the bed, i just left it in bassinet form near the bed. then when dd cried i woudl just get her out and often times i would just sleep with her on my chest. sometimes dh would do that too.

i sold mine on CL for like $60 so i'm sure there is good market for used ones. i liked the mini bc of the size..any bigger would have been too big. most ppl say you don't need the regular size unless u have twins or something.

BabbyO
07-17-2013, 01:29 PM
3. some kind of cosleeper in the bed like the snuggle nest or whatever. honestly, i don't get how these work......has anyone used something like this?

We had the SnuggleMe Cushion and loved.Loved.LOVED it! I didn't get it for co-sleeping, but it works great for it. We used to put Stachio in that on the couch (until he could roll out). It also worked really well when we were going to grandma's and didn't want to put up the pack n play for naps!

With Peanut, he was having NONE of sleeping in his crib at first. I used the SnuggleMe in the 50+ yr family bassinet that DH's parents gave us...and we used it if we co-slept. Neither DH nor I are super comfortable with co-sleeping, but when Peanut just wouldn't sleep unless near us, we would plunk the SnuggleMe down between DH and I and it worked like a charm. I will say it is a bit big in a queen sized bed, but would be totally fine in a King. Usually we would push it up between our heads where there is a bit more space.

I got mine at a kid and baby expo, but there are local private retailers in some areas. You can also purchase them online here: http://www.simplymommyonline.com/

I'd offer mine, but my sister-in-law has it.

crl
07-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I bought an Arms Reach mini co-sleeper for dd, but used it as a bassinet rather than attached to our bed. I bought it on CL. Turned out dd was a noisy sleeper and I couldn't sleep with her beside me. And she did just fine in her crib so we moved her after just a month. Made me glad I hadn't spent a ton on the co-sleeper. Anyway, I would do a co-sleeper. That seems much safer than the bed against the wall because of the entrapment risk with the mattress and the wall as a PPer pointed out.

Catherine

Katigre
07-17-2013, 01:40 PM
What I did with ds2:
1. Rock n play next to the bed the first few months (you could sidecar a crib too and make sure the mattress is secure with no gaps)

2. Bed bug bumper so that baby couldn't roll off. I'm still using that bumper now and it is great!.

Sent from my Android phone using Swype

JBaxter
07-17-2013, 01:43 PM
had the arms reach co sleeper but Jack slept in in like TWICE. I pushed the bed against the wall shoved pillows down the crack and kept Jack in the middle of the bed most nights.

megs4413
07-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I had an Arm's Reach with DS1 until 6 months and for a few months with DS2. It works well, but once baby can sit up you're supposed to stop using the co-sleeper part. If you're just using it as a just in case measure it probably doesn't matter. We had the original size and it was huge and took up a lot of space in our room. We just started co-sleeping with DS2 at 8 months and I got the Go Bed Bug bed rails per a rec here. They are great.

that bumper looks like a GREAT solution. I wonder if it is made of latex, though. I emailed. Hopefully they will get back to me.

megs4413
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I bought an Arms Reach mini co-sleeper for dd, but used it as a bassinet rather than attached to our bed. I bought it on CL. Turned out dd was a noisy sleeper and I couldn't sleep with her beside me. And she did just fine in her crib so we moved her after just a month. Made me glad I hadn't spent a ton on the co-sleeper. Anyway, I would do a co-sleeper. That seems much safer than the bed against the wall because of the entrapment risk with the mattress and the wall as a PPer pointed out.

Catherine

yes, this is a concern for me in putting out the $$ for a cosleeper....you never know what baby will want to do. My DS happily coslept until one day, he just didn't. he was less than 5mos IIRC....

BabyBearsMom
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I had the arms reach co-sleeper with DD2 and LOVED it. I think that it just depends on the baby though, no way DD1 would have touched it with a ten foot pole. It was very easy to set up and DD2 was very comfy in it. ONly negative was that it was hard for me to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I imagine it would be impossible to get out if you had a C-Section. Even with the co-sleeper, DD2 ended up in the bed with me quite a bit. I would fall asleep nursing her and then DH would ease her back into the co-sleeper. It totally saved my sanity.

georgiegirl
07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm a co-sleeper, and my DS slept in the swing the first 4 months of his life because he couldn't lay flat. So for this baby, I have a rock and play that I'm setting up next to the bed. I will probably get a bed rail, which is what I did once DS was 4 months old. (Can't use the same rail, since its now on DS's twin bed.). He never liked the pack and play bassinet, and it wasn't the right level for our bed. I'd vote to buy a rail (since you will likely use it when baby is older), and wait on the arms reach co-sleeper until after baby is born unless you can get a great deal on CL.

Jacksmommy2b
07-17-2013, 01:48 PM
I have always used a rail (with a safety bar so baby can't get between bed and rail) Baby goes on either side of me depending on feeding. It was super easy and has worked well for all 3!

BabbyO
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
that bumper looks like a GREAT solution. I wonder if it is made of latex, though. I emailed. Hopefully they will get back to me.

We just used pool noodles as a bed rail under the sheet when Stachio moved to his toddler bed. Perhaps you could use something like that in your bed as well? Plus no latex.

megs4413
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm a co-sleeper, and my DS slept in the swing the first 4 months of his life because he couldn't lay flat. So for this baby, I have a rock and play that I'm setting up next to the bed. I will probably get a bed rail, which is what I did once DS was 4 months old. (Can't use the same rail, since its now on DS's twin bed.). He never liked the pack and play bassinet, and it wasn't the right level for our bed. I'd vote to buy a rail (since you will likely use it when baby is older), and wait on the arms reach co-sleeper until after baby is born unless you can get a great deal on CL.

this is where i'm leaning right now. Both of my others were reflux babies, so I'm also getting the rock and play in case she wants to sleep more upright. i will have that next to the bed...so a rail seems like the right solution as long as it's safe. i wish my Dh wasn't being so weird about doing it the way we've always done it with DD in the middle of the bed, but oh well. he's weird.

AnnieW625
07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Both of my others were reflux babies, so I'm also getting the rock and play in case she wants to sleep more upright. .

I wish I would have found about the RNP before I had DD2 as no one talked about it here, which seems odd until around the time DD2 was 2/1/2 mos. old and then it just took off. I didn't spend much time in BRUS then either so partially my fault, but I still think it would have been a great sleeping option for our reflux baby.

div_0305
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
We always had our kids sleep in the middle between DH and I. I tried something which puts the baby between something on the bed, but both kids quickly moved and rolled over it, so I just chucked it. Can't remember what it was called, but bought it at TRU.

janine
07-17-2013, 03:35 PM
No reason for this to be a heated topic :). We used a bed guard and baby slept with that on one side and me on the other - in the beginning they barely move. I also am a very light sleeper. Eventually she was a mover and would sleep sideways. DH then took the guest room (sorry baby wins out those first few months). Your DH may change his mind :).

Suzan
07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I kept DD in a rock n play pulled up against the bed on my side. If she wasnt in there I used my nursing pillow to prop her between DH and I at the top of the bed. Though that did make me nervous so we only did that a few times and never the whole night.

megs4413
07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
well amazingly, the bed bug bumpers people already responded and they are indeed latex free! AWESOME news! I am going to purchase those. Thank you for the help, everyone! This really helped. I would never have known about these if people hadn't posted them here! THANKS!

kaharris83
07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Love companies with quick CS. Glad they'll work for you. I like that we can take them with us too when we travel.

westwoodmom04
07-17-2013, 05:53 PM
i used the arm's reach mini cosleeper with both my kids. actually mostly with dd. i liked it. with dd though i didn't bother attaching it to the bed, i just left it in bassinet form near the bed. then when dd cried i woudl just get her out and often times i would just sleep with her on my chest. sometimes dh would do that too.

i sold mine on CL for like $60 so i'm sure there is good market for used ones. i liked the mini bc of the size..any bigger would have been too big. most ppl say you don't need the regular size unless u have twins or something.

I did this too with both. I was too nervous to have the kids in our bed and the mini is nice and narrow, it easily fit between the side of the bed and the wall and the height is such that you don't even need to get out of the bed to grab the baby. I also didn't attach it to the bed (just too lazy).

daisymommy
07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
With all 4 babies we used an Arms Reach Cosleeper on my side of the bed until baby was old enough to crawl out of it. After that, we used a bed rail, and I made sure not to leave them unattended in the bed.
The one we have now, I absolutely love and wish I had found it years ago! Will link in a minute...

Safety First Secure Top Bedrail (purchased at Walmart for about $30)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X7A008/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AYQE248EG7QJV

Sent from my iPad

sdjeppa
07-18-2013, 06:06 PM
With DS2, we found that the contoured changing pad in the middle of the bed worked great! It was enough to keep him from rolling into us. It was also just stiff enough to prop the head up slightly to help with his reflux. We used it until he got too long for it, around 8-9 months I think? After that we took the front off his crib to sidecar it to the bed.