PDA

View Full Version : Share your "favorite" lice products.

lovebebes
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Ugh, DD picked them up on day #4 of school summer camp. Thankfully I had become a master at getting them out several years ago when dd1 had them (she has THE thickest longest hair).

Anyway, I wanted to see what everyone uses, and to share my favorites.

Terminator comb is, of course, a must. Seriously, everyone should have it ready to go in medicine cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/Terminator-Professional-Stainless-Treatment-Removes/dp/B000HIBPV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374084749&sr=8-1&keywords=terminator+comb

I really like the Lice Logic line found on Amazon. Pretty natural and it smells great. I used it for the first time a couple of years ago, and again recently. We do the pre shampoo treatment spray (keep in hair for several hours)
http://www.amazon.com/LiceLogic-Hair-Nit-Spray-Destroys/dp/B004HLY45A/ref=sr_1_4?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1374084852&sr=1-4&keywords=lice+logic then comb with Terminator,

then use the shampoo
http://www.amazon.com/LiceLogic-Clear-Free-Treatment-Shampoo/dp/B004HLY464/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1374084898&sr=1-1&keywords=lice+logic

One thing- I really dont believe anything that says it "kills on contact". Sorry, but its just BS. The only way to get them out is to comb them out.

This product I just found the other day and have already used. I like that its inexpensive and plan to have it on hand at home.
http://www.amazon.com/Licefreee-Instant-Treatment-Bottle-6-Ounce/dp/B003KYNNTS/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1374084988&sr=1-1&keywords=licefreee
Again, I dont believe it kills on contact (regardless of the reviews) but I do know it helps loosen the nits etc.

Please share yours!!!

essnce629
07-17-2013, 02:31 PM
DS1 has had lice FOUR times in 2.5 years!

Favorite products are the Terminator comb (we do a comb out every month now just to check) and pure rosemary oil added to whatever shampoo and conditioner we're using plus a few drops rubbed into DS1's hair after every shower. DS hasn't brought home any lice since we started using the rosemary oil (10 months ago) even though there's been several outbreaks at school. It's the Now brand and is just a few dollars on Amazon. Better than any lice specific products I think. He uses tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner as well, but that alone wasn't enough.

jerseygirl07067
07-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Terminator comb, Suave white conditioner for combouts, white paper towels, hair clips to do sections for combouts, and GVP (Sally's knockoff brand) of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner, Fairy Tales leave in conditioner. I add additional tea tree oil to all of the 3 latter mentioned products, lol.

My kids now have those little 3 drawer plastic things that sit on their dresser with their OWN hairties.

And my freezer....if I find an unclaimed hair tie, it goes in the freezer for 24 hours. The lice die in that environment. Taking no chances! BTDT!

essnce629
07-17-2013, 03:27 PM
GVP (Sally's knockoff brand) of Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner

DS1 uses the Paul Mitchell TTO shampoo and conditioner too, so I'll have to check out the GVP brand. How much is it?

We also use a damp paper towel and Frizz Ease silicon serum for comb outs. I like that the Frizz Ease is clear and the comb slips right through the hair.

jerseygirl07067
07-17-2013, 11:53 PM
DS1 uses the Paul Mitchell TTO shampoo and conditioner too, so I'll have to check out the GVP brand. How much is it?

We also use a damp paper towel and Frizz Ease silicon serum for comb outs. I like that the Frizz Ease is clear and the comb slips right through the hair.

Around 10.99 for a liter. They often have sales, buy one, get another 1/2 off or something like that. Love it!

randomkid
07-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Marcy - which TTO do you use and where do you get it?

So, I see TTO and Rosemary oil. Wonder which is most effective? Service we just used on Monday, yes we have lice, uses peppermint. I really wonder if any of this works. We were using Fairy Tales and DD still got it. I'm going to start adding extra oil to her shampoo - how much do I add?

The Terminator comb is an absolute, of course. Viva paper towels - so much easier to see stuff on them. Tonight, I used Fairy Tales Lice Goodbye mousse on myself prior to putting on conditioner. The mousse is supposed to loosen the nits and I did comb out a few nits and 4 babies, so obviously the pro missed several nits. Not sure if it was the mousse or just my persistence - I combed for 2 hours...I have VERY thick hair!

Our service used an oil based product for the treatment which I felt was very effective. It smothers the lice, so they stop moving altogether. With conditioner, they slow down, but still move. I know because I combed out crawling bugs when I did DD's hair the first night with conditioner. There is an OTC oil, LiceMD, but it is super thick and oily and smells funky. I tried it on my hair the first night, but it was so thick that it actually made combing more difficult. The oil product our service uses is thinner and smells nice. I will be adding it to my "lice kit".

chozen
07-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Can you tell me how much rosemary you would put in say a 8 oz. bottle of shampoo/cond. ?

chozen
07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
DS1 has had lice FOUR times in 2.5 years!

Favorite products are the Terminator comb (we do a comb out every month now just to check) and pure rosemary oil added to whatever shampoo and conditioner we're using plus a few drops rubbed into DS1's hair after every shower. DS hasn't brought home any lice since we started using the rosemary oil (10 months ago) even though there's been several outbreaks at school. It's the Now brand and is just a few dollars on Amazon. Better than any lice specific products I think. He uses tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner as well, but that alone wasn't enough.

Could you tell how much rosemary you would put in say an 8oz. Bottle if shampoo/cond.?

essnce629
07-18-2013, 06:44 PM
So, I see TTO and Rosemary oil. Wonder which is most effective? Service we just used on Monday, yes we have lice, uses peppermint. I really wonder if any of this works. We were using Fairy Tales and DD still got it. I'm going to start adding extra oil to her shampoo - how much do I add?

The first time DS1 got lice we weren't using any lice prevention products and he had a major infestation! As in 20+ live bugs in his hair and 300+ nits AFTER I shaved his hair down to 1/2 inch long! DS2 and I also got it.

After that we all started using TTO shampoo and conditioner or the Fairy Tales stuff for DS1. I also started adding additional TTO to our shampoo and conditioner. DS1 still ended up with lice 3 more times! Those times were all mild though with no live bugs seen and probably under 50 nits. DS2 got it 1 of those 3 times but I didn't.

Since switching over to using the pure rosemary oil we've stayed lice free. I probably add about a teaspoon to small bottles of shampoo and conditioner and more for bigger bottles. I definitely smell the rosemary when I use it. It helps with itchy scalp too which we didn't have any luck with just the TTO. Supposedly helps with hair growth as well.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Marcy - which TTO do you use and where do you get it?

The Terminator comb is an absolute, of course. Viva paper towels - so much easier to see stuff on them. Tonight, I used Fairy Tales Lice Goodbye mousse on myself prior to putting on conditioner. The mousse is supposed to loosen the nits and I did comb out a few nits and 4 babies, so obviously the pro missed several nits. Not sure if it was the mousse or just my persistence - I combed for 2 hours...I have VERY thick hair!

Our service used an oil based product for the treatment which I felt was very effective. It smothers the lice, so they stop moving altogether. With conditioner, they slow down, but still move. I know because I combed out crawling bugs when I did DD's hair the first night with conditioner. There is an OTC oil, LiceMD, but it is super thick and oily and smells funky. I tried it on my hair the first night, but it was so thick that it actually made combing more difficult. The oil product our service uses is thinner and smells nice. I will be adding it to my "lice kit".

I just went to Vitamin Shoppe which is near us and bought some. It is the essential tea tree oil, the pure, undiluted kind. I probably put 5-6 extra drops in the liter of shampoo and the liter of conditioner, probably about 3-4 in the fairy tales stuff. It is quite strong. I was afraid if I used more it might be irritating.

I think if you're still finding nits and babies the pro missed more than she should have. We found a few on Sammy a few days later and they came back and treated again for free I believe. For the amount of money, I'd ask if they can come back again and treat for free. When did you get it done? I thought they had a guarantee for a certain amount of time, but cannot remember the exact terms of it.

Their site has been improved dramatically last year! I went to look at it last night. Much more comprehensive and they sell more stuff than they did then.

MMMommy
07-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I am so afraid of lice, and as a preventative measure, I use Fairy Tales Repel Spray. Do you think adding a few drops of Rosemary Oil in the spray would help, or would it change the consistency of the spray?

essnce629
07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I am so afraid of lice, and as a preventative measure, I use Fairy Tales Repel Spray. Do you think adding a few drops of Rosemary Oil in the spray would help, or would it change the consistency of the spray?

I think it would be fine.

crayonblue
07-21-2013, 11:32 PM
That Terminator comb is great. Poor DD1 wore her hair in a ponytail or braids every day for the entire school year...