PDA

View Full Version : Developmental Delay with DD?

ArizonaGirl
07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
DD will be 11 months old on Saturday and so far has been developing typically, she sits up on her own, rolls over and army crawls.

However, she doesn't push up to a sit by herself yet.

My concern in when she crawls she drags herself with her left forearm on the ground and her right hand and pushes with her right big toe, but she seems to drag her left leg along with her and never uses it. (It is strange to watch) She will bear weight on both legs but is not pulling up to a stand.

Should I be concerned that she seems to drag that left leg while crawling or not worry about it.

I would ask the ped but she tends to be somewhat dismissive about these sorts of things.

TIA

brittone2
07-17-2013, 05:31 PM
It is really hard to say from your description. Does she use both sides of her body well for other things? Handling a toy? When crawling she is using both arms?

My DS1 would use the big toe of *one* foot to push off of when he first started crawling.

But if she's "dragging" one side, that is worth investigating. Weight bearing on both sides is a good sign though.

Hard to say without an eval, unfortunately :( I'd start with mentioning to the ped (video her if you can), and watching how she uses both sides of her body during other activities. If you are very concerned now, or don't see improvement soon, or ped is concerned, I'd call for an EI eval.

PZMommy
07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
My DS2 didn't use his left side properly, but he also was behind in all of his developmental milestones. He has low tone and has been getting services for over a year now through early intervention. I fyou are concerned, it would be worth putting in a call to them and let them evaluate her. Even if she doesn't qualify for services, they can give you ideas of things you can do at home to help her.

KLD313
07-17-2013, 07:35 PM
I have no advice but my friends baby crawls like that. She looks like a little alligator. My other friends daughter doesn't sit up on her own and she had an EI evaluation done. She was fine and they said if she wasn't sitting by 18 mos to call back.

She's probably fine but if your gut is telling you something is off call for an eval so you feel better.

Simon
07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Can she bend her knee and bear weight on it? If you put her body into a more classic crawling position can she hold it or does she flop down? I am not a medical doctor but I would be (mildly) concerned. Personally, I'd get an opinion from a physician, a Dr. other than your ped if that's necessary. I would only call EI second because they're going to want to know that you've ruled out medical explanations for what you're describing. For instance, when we called about a speech delay they wanted to make sure that we can done thorough hearing testing with an audiologist.

YouAreTheFocus
07-17-2013, 08:05 PM
My DS crawled like that, too (if I am understanding you right). He used one arm to pull and the opposite foot to push. The other limbs weren't much involved. He didn't crawl on all fours with belly off floor til his 1st birthday. He walked between 15-16 mos. He's always been the on the later end for gross motor.

ETA: This seems to be a very popular topic!
https://www.google.com/search?q=army+crawl+one+leg

Smillow
07-17-2013, 08:17 PM
FWIW, my DS pushed to sit up on his own for the first time & started crawling on the same day.

sweetsue98
07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
My DD1 did the army crawl as well and we always thought it was odd she pushed with 1 toe. DD. did go through 8 months of EI only because she was delayed in walking and seemed to drag her leg. If you are concerned talk to your ped and show her a video if you can.