PDA

View Full Version : HIgh altitude and pregnancy

flashy09
07-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Is there any reason to be nervous about staying at 11,000 ft and traveling to 13,000 (for 4-6 hrs) when pregnant? No problems in the pregnancy and I grew up at 6,000 ft, but I worry about everything now. I have this irrational (I think?) fear of the baby not receiving enough oxygen because of the lower amounts available.

JBaxter
07-17-2013, 08:13 PM
I flew to Hawaii from DC when I was 22weeks pregnant with Jack and from DC to Costa Rica at 26 weeks w/ Jack. I cant see how flying in a pressurized plane would effect the oxygen levels in the umbilical cord

Philly Mom
07-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Are you worried about flying or sitting on a mountain? I wouldn't worry about either, especially flying (I have flown a lot while pregnant). Ask your doctor if there should be a concern if you are just hanging out. I would be concerned about altitude sickness making it miserable for me not a problem for the baby though.

flashy09
07-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Are you worried about flying or sitting on a mountain? I wouldn't worry about either, especially flying (I have flown a lot while pregnant). Ask your doctor if there should be a concern if you are just hanging out. I would be concerned about altitude sickness making it miserable for me not a problem for the baby though.

Not worried about flying, but staying at 11000 ft for the week and then higher for a night.

Philly Mom
07-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Not worried about flying, but staying at 11000 ft for the week and then higher for a night.

I would call your doctor and ask. At those altitudes especially at 13000 feet I get very sick. I would not worry about the baby per se, I would worry about me. I know me at 11,000 feet. It is not pretty the first two days when I am not pregnant.

jenstring95
07-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I think it is definitely worth a call to your doctor. We went to Maui during my first trimester and were driving up to an old volcano when we got a pamphlet reminding pregnant women to check with their doctors. I called mine, and she advised me not to go. I don't recall what the altitude was, though.

marinkitty
07-17-2013, 10:27 PM
I am usually fine with altitude (my kids are a different story!) but when I was 13 weeks pregnant with my first we had a wedding in Park City (which isn't even very high - I think we slept at 7,000 feet mid-mountain) and I was really ill. Headache that I just could not knock no matter how much water I drank or how much IB I took. Queasy stomach (and I did not otherwise have morning sickness). Really really low energy. I don't think it is really dangerous, per se, but I'd ask the doc and then be prepared to not feel terrific.

flashy09
07-21-2013, 10:54 AM
So I had the elevations wrong if that matters. We will stay at 8000 ft and the wedding/reception is at 11,200. I feel a little better, except that the ascent to 11,200 ft is done in 15 minutes. Is that going to be a tough adjustment?

I have never had altitude problems before and been to all the ski resorts, Trail Ridge rd, etc. I am also a little nervous about my DD at 8000 ft! I don't know what has happened to me, I was never like this before! This is where I grew up, lol.