PDA

View Full Version : How to control impulsive behavior?

Nechums
07-18-2013, 06:20 AM
DS1 (turning 5 in Sept) is a really good kid. Very mature for his age and therefore our expectations of his behavior are sometimes quite high. He has an excellent understanding of wrong and right, but sometimes he let's his impulse take over and we're just racking our brains how to deal with it.

Most of the time, I imagine it's curiosity that drives him (like, what happens if I open the emergency window on the bus?), but he always knows that the action is wrong. He just completely loses his ability to think properly once the impulse takes over.

Are there any exercises or activities out there to help teach impulsive kids curb their impulse?

azzeps
07-18-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not really sure, but I think the part of the brain that controls impulses like that isn't even fully developed until age 6. Can't tell you where I saw that, but anyway, ummm, the "broken record technique" is maybe what you need, and he will gradually start to "self-police" more as he matures? Maybe someone else will see this and have a better answer for you!

hillview
07-18-2013, 08:37 PM
humm well DS2 is almost 6 and lacks impulse control -- AHDH impulse issue is a likely dx for him. What I've found helpful is some reminders that are more subtle -- like sometimes he runs into the street, we now hold pinkeys (he didn't want to hold hands). But honestly he just lacks impulse control. We were in england and he pushed a BIG RED BUTTON in the underground subway. It was the BIG EMERGENCY button. he just ran up to it and hit it before I could even think what he was doing. All the alarms went off. It was not nice. He was not trying to be naughty per se he just saw a button that needed pushing.

elbenn
07-18-2013, 08:45 PM
There is a chapter in the book "Nurture Shock" that deals with whether self control can be taught. It's an interesting chapter. Actually, the whole book is really interesting.