PDA

View Full Version : Iphone maps question

mm123
07-18-2013, 09:27 AM
This may be a silly question, but I'm really NOT tech savvy at all.

We're traveling overseas in a couple of weeks, and I'm bringing my Iphone with me. I just want to use it for the camera, and for internet when we're in a Wifi zone. To avoid unexpected charges (I've heard nightmare stories!), I'm going to take out the SIM card and leave it at home. That seems to be the only 100% foolproof way.

My question is, will my maps app still work as a GPS without a SIM card? Obviously, roaming will be 'off', but I thought it would really come in handy to have a GPS if it'll work.

Thanks!

o_mom
07-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Not exactly the situation, but this might help. I don't have an iPhone, but have Google Maps on my android. I didn't do it overseas, but I had the cellular data plan turned off for a portion of a trip (long story involving playing multiplayer MinecraftPE in the car). That said, it worked fine, but, I had to make sure to download all the maps we needed ahead of time. Usually, the app grabs the maps as you need them and uses the data connection to do that. However, there was an option for 'make available offline' where I could select an area and it would save the map to the phone. I had no problem using the maps without a data connection then. It was actually better, I think, because we had areas with no cell service anyway.

tg_canada
07-18-2013, 11:43 AM
It will depend on what app you are using. Apple's Maps won't work as it uses an Internet connection to grab the maps as you go (as above poster mentioned).

This thread has some info http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1483453

Also, I think the latest version of Google Maps for iOS will allow you to cache maps just like you can on Android. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't had the need, but this article has instructions http://m.cnet.com/news/how-to-cache-offline-maps-in-latest-google-maps-for-ios/57594191

ETA: to be clear, GPS doesn't need data or an Internet connection to work (as codex says below). The app you use may though. So look for one you can store the maps locally. You typically can't store a very large area so it's likely you'll need to grab maps occasionally on your trip while you have WiFi.

codex57
07-18-2013, 12:34 PM
To my knowledge, on an iPhone, the GPS chip will still work. However, Apple Maps and Google Maps both will need the internet at some point to download the maps. If you're in a free wifi zone, you can use the maps to get where you are. tg_canada says Google Maps can cache (store) the maps so that's the program I'd use.