PDA

View Full Version : Playset- Can it sit on the grass?

mackmama
07-18-2013, 12:44 PM
We just moved and would like to get a playset for 3yo DC. Given our yard, the only option is to put it on grass. Can a playset sit on grass? (We would not be removing the grass or putting down mulch or other surfaces under the playset.) For those who have playsets on grass - does the grass just die under the playset? How do you water the surrounding grass since sprinklers will most likely get the playset wet? Do you just not worry about it - or is it better not to get a wooden playset? Thanks - I'm totally new to playsets!

lhafer
07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Mine sits on the grass. I marked where the sprinklers were and didn't set the playset on them, so they still all function. I have a sandbox option under the fort of ours. I put a weed barrier mesh down on top of the grass, then put mulch in there and did a little plastic kiddy pool sand box in that area (so they entire thing isn't sand). I also got a mesh cover for the sandbox part. There are track marks where the swings are. Otherwise, the grass is normal.

Momit
07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
We don't have one but all of our friends who do have them on grass. I would worry about sprinklers other than puncturing one of your lines during the installation or placing it directly over a head.

Philly Mom
07-18-2013, 01:17 PM
We actually removed the mulch and put down grass and are having our wooden playset installed in a couple weeks like that. Our neighbors all use grass and I grew up with a playset on grass. The grass does not die so mowing is a bit annoying. Playsets are meant to get wet and the wood is prepared as such.

wellyes
07-18-2013, 02:11 PM
The only concern I'd have is installing it in such a way that it won't tip.

Indianamom2
07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
Ours is a smaller size one from Lowe's and we set it up last spring on the grass. No grass has died, even under the covered playhouse section. It's a big of a pain to mow/weed eat, but otherwise it's fine. We didn't want to have to remove all the sand/mulch/whatever, so we figured the kids will survive. I did!

When I water the lawn (no built in sprinkler system) I just do it in the late evening after the kids are in bed. It's made to get wet, so no worries there.

crl
07-18-2013, 04:42 PM
When you say play set do you mean swings and climbing structures? Because those require a softer landing surface than grass for a safe fall zone.

http://www.cpsc.gov/Regulations-Laws--Standards/Voluntary-Standards/Topics/Home-Playground-Safety-Tips/

Catherine

elephantmeg
07-18-2013, 04:43 PM
ours in on grass. We have a sandbox area underneath so no grass... but the grass under the slide is fine. We have to weed eat it because it is hard to mow

mom_hanna
07-19-2013, 12:36 AM
We have a swing set on grass and have had no problems. The grass grows the same as the rest of the yard, and we just made sure it didn't sit on any sprinkler heads. It's wood and gets wet through the rain and snow so sprinklers are no different.

georgiegirl
07-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Ours in on grass. The only area where the grass has died is right under the swings, and it's just a small patch. The more the kids play, the bigger the patch gets.

arivecchi
07-19-2013, 10:10 AM
Ours in on grass. The only area where the grass has died is right under the swings, and it's just a small patch. The more the kids play, the bigger the patch gets.
:yeahthat:

smilequeen
07-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Ours in on mulch, but this is what I see with most of them. The grass dies under the swings. The mulch gets thin under the swings too. Most people I know just put them on grass. I'm kind of paranoid, but I also like the defined play area that the mulch gives.