PDA

View Full Version : How do your organise *your* clothes so you can see them? Especially if you have lots!

buttercup
07-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I recently moved and find myself stunned at the amount of clothing I have. I think I'll be able to hang most of what needs hung in a hall closet. I used to have a nice IKEA PAX system with slide out drawers, but cannot use that here as ceilings aren't high enough. So how do you store your shirts, skirt, casual summer dresses (most of mine do not need hung)? Such a basic question but this seriously baffles me.

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2013, 08:55 PM
All white plastic hangers, so the clothes look more neat, even if they're not, lol.

I color code...spring/summer stuff on one rack, separated by color, winter/fall on another, separated by color. Then my pants,jeans,skirts, shorts are on another rack.

I don't have a lot of clothes though...due to a small closet for a fairly new home, it forces me to purge regularly. But I think the color coding is very helpful for my kids, who DO have a lot of clothes. I guess it should be the other way around but oh well...

nupe
07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
I have my clothes by type (section for pants, section for skirts, section for tops, etc), then by color. For pants and skirts I have them also divided by size: current size/1 size up/1 size down. If I gain lose 3 lbs I can change on size in pants and 5lbs can mean 2 pants sizes/1skirt size! Pants: Divided first by size, then by Jeans/casual/work, then by color. Skirts: size/season (current vs "only winter" for example, and in winter it will be current vs "only summer/spring"), then by color. Most tops are by color, then left to right sleevless/ss/longer sleeve within a color. Mine are hanging.

Tshirts are mixed hanging, more casual are folded. And stacked by color. If I had to fold dresses, skirts, I would divide by season then stack by color.

ETA: Most fashion blogs recommend keeping one type of hanger. I have some clothes on container store plastic hangers. THe ones that slide off are on the grip felt hangers. I don't follow the one type of hanger rule!

wellyes
07-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Anything I don't wear at least monthly is put into storage, or shoved in the back of the kids closet. Having as little hanging as possible is absolutely key, IMO. I wear more variety now that I can really see all the choices.

abh5e8
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
im still working on this too, since we moved last fall. i now have plenty of hanging space, so i hang almost everything. tank tops i hang on the old baby/kid plastic hangers (they are great for this!). i have 1 section with tanks and casual t-shirts. then after that, a few dressier summer clothes (skirts, tops, dresses). the back part has all the winter clothes, stuffed in random order. need some work on this one :) i have a shelf with a few clear plastic boxes for work out clothes and socks/undies/jamies. i do have 1 dresser, but dh and I share it with dd2 and its mostly full of her clothes. i have a drawer of tights/hose and one for jewelry.

buttercup
07-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Actually the hanging I have under control. It's the stacking of many shirts, skirts, multi season items that i have trouble with. I stack, but then I cannot stack tall enough OR, things get buried and I forget I have that item.
Considering those wire cubes...

Binkandabee
07-19-2013, 02:15 PM
I hang everything. It gets messy way too quickly if I don't. Have you seen those velvet covered space saving hangers? I got mine at Costco, but they are really fantastic. Things look neat and tidy and I can fit a lot more in my space than with the plastic hangers I was using.

A1icia
07-19-2013, 04:07 PM
I hang everything. It gets messy way too quickly if I don't. Have you seen those velvet covered space saving hangers? I got mine at Costco, but they are really fantastic. Things look neat and tidy and I can fit a lot more in my space than with the plastic hangers I was using.

I agree - I hang almost everything, including scarves and most necklaces.

I have 2 small closets - one is 3/5 hanging space for long clothing and the other 2/5 is an elfa drawer unit with wire elfa shelves above it plus more elfa shelve up high for storage of out of season clothing.

In the drawers go - undergarments, socks/hosiery, sleepwear and work out clothing and swimsuits. Folded on the shelves are jeans and a few heavier sweaters that don't hang well.

In the other closet I have upper and lower rods plus I store me shoes in there - my everyday ones on the floor and special ones in boxes on elfa shelves up above. Hooks on the inside of both doors and on the side of the elfa drawer unit for accessories.