PDA

View Full Version : Angioplasty Experience?

Indianamom2
07-18-2013, 08:15 PM
So here's the question: How big a deal is an angioplasty (performed while the patient is awake) probably without a stent insertion, when performed to open kidney arteries?

My mom, who just turned 60, had been having trouble with her blood pressure all of a sudden. After some testing, it appears, at least from what we know so far, that she has some long-named condition that is typically controlled with blood pressure medication and an angioplasty to open the arteries. She is not a fount of information because she doesn't want to worry me, but she is 700+ miles away and I'm not sure how big a deal this kind of surgery is. She will brush it off....but if it is major surgery with recovery time, I may need to go there. I believe it will be performed at John's Hopkins.

Any experience?

KLD313
07-18-2013, 08:51 PM
My grandfather had it done years ago but it was through the groin so not sure if it's different. He just had to stay still for 24 hours so the spot where they went in wouldn't open. Then he was ok for what I can remember. I believe the risk during the procedure is throwing a clot and having a stroke but I'm sure that's rare.

amandabea
07-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Not a major surgery and no major recovery time. That said, P&PT for your mom. :hug:

Indianamom2
07-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replies, ladies. It's hard being so far away from home at a time like this.

lizzywednesday
07-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Not a major surgery and no major recovery time. That said, P&PT for your mom. :hug:

:yeahthat:

Gone through it three times with DD (balloon cath for valve enlargement, 1 stent insertion, 1 stent sealing, 1 ASD seal) and while hers was under general anaesthesia, recovery was overnight & take it easy for the next few weeks 'til the cath sites had fully closed.

The only thing we had to be cautious about was baths vs. showers - showers were OK but baths were not until the cath sites had healed fully. There will be a post-op info sheet for caregivers/patients that will have the best information about what to do and what to watch for to tell if there's a problem.

sweetsue98
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
I've seen about 20 procedures done and its a quick procedure. Prayers for a speedy recovery.