PDA

View Full Version : Fibroids and treatment for them

kristenk
07-18-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a fibroid that is actually coming through my cervix. Great. I'm scheduled for a pelvic sonogram in a few weeks to get a better idea about that fibroid and whether there are others. My gyn mentioned that hysterectomy might be something that we discuss after the sonogram. DH and I are not planning on having any more kids so I'm guessing that makes a hysterectomy more of an option? She's not pushing anything on me, but she did mention it. And after looking up symptoms of fibroids, I've realized that some of the issues I've been having lately might have actually been caused by the fibroid.

I'm just looking for any BTDT with fibroids, especially if you're done having kids. If you have/had fibroids, did you have any sort of treatment?

pinkmomagain
07-19-2013, 06:40 AM
My sis and mom both had hysterectomies due to fibroids. That's about all I can say about it as I don't know too many details. Both were done having kids when they procedure were done.

Good luck with your sonogram.

IansMom
07-19-2013, 06:15 PM
I had my fibroids removed about 6 years ago because one had pushed through my uterine wall and had caused my periods to get heavier and heavier until I fainted because of excessive blood loss and ended up in the ER. That is actually how I found out I had fibroids. We were having infertility issues and I still wanted to make an attempt at preserving my fertility so I had an abdominal myomectomy. I ended up with a c-section type scar. My fibroids have returned, and that is something to consider. I would like to have another child. Otherwise, I would definitely consider a hysterectomy.

ZeeBaby
08-19-2013, 08:41 PM
I had my fibroids removed in 2002. They started growing back about 5 years later, which is pretty typical of fibroids. When I was pregnant my largest fibroid grew to 12 cm. I looked like I was carrying twins. Thankfully I delivered both do my DD safely via c-section. I had a Uterine artery embolization last October. This was to limit the uterine bleeding and make my period more manageable. It didn't work. At this point my dr is recommending a partial hysterectomy as we have tried all other options. I am not ready for that. I am done having kids but I still feel too attached to my uterus to let it go.

american_mama
09-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm just looking for any BTDT with fibroids, especially if you're done having kids. If you have/had fibroids, did you have any sort of treatment?

My friend just had surgical treatment for fibroids a year ago, and I found her story a surprising example of the value of a second opinion. She was in her early 40's, no kids, not likely to have kids. Her main symptom was extremely heavy periods (to the point of being hospitalized for anemia) and I think an abdomen that was a little big due to the fibroids. Her regular gyn recommended a hysterectomy without much discussion of other options. My friend was a little opposed from the start, but not strongly opposed, and asked for a second opinion. Second doctor recommended softening/shrinking the fibroids with drugs and then removing them, but keeping the uterus. My friend got a third opinion, who strongly advised against approach #2, saying the drugs would make it too hard to feel the fibroids so he wouldn't be able to find them all, thus ensuring that some would re-grow. He recommended removing just the fibroids through many small slits in the uterus. He said some people are still able to get pregnant after this, some don't. Regardless, he felt the uterus was important psychologically and structurally. My friend went with the third doctor's advice and is very happy. I was very surprised that the advice differed so much, and I do think a discussion of the structural importance of the uterus - how its position and weight in the abdominal cavity helping keep everything else in its proper place - seems important.